Ok so I have a 120 watt cab and I'm looking for a new head. The 6505 is one I'm looking at but I don't want a 120 watt head (especially since my cab is 120 watts). Can you pull out two of the powertubes to make it 60 watts?
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
A 120W cab is built to take 120W. What's the problem (other than the obscene volume)?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
120 watt heads are built for 120 watt cabs, anything drasticly different can damage the components
Quote by gm jack
A 120W cab is built to take 120W. What's the problem (other than the obscene volume)?

Because of the way amps are rated once cranked they usually put out more than it says on the tin. So the actual wattage of the amp is probably closer to about 150 watts.
^Yeah exactly. And I don't want any speaker break up.

Anyone know the answer to my question?

Quote by TheSecondRaid
120 watt heads are built for 120 watt cabs, anything drasticly different can damage the components

No... the head can be any wattage under the wattage of the cab and it will work.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
It can be done, but you have to half the ohms, so for example if your using an 8 ohm cab, through the 8 ohm jack, you'd have to put the 8 ohm cab through the 4 ohm jack to compensate.

I did this on my amp for a while, but after some issues with the channels switching and hte amp getting overly hot after extended use i put the power tubes back in and i havent noticed any more problems, so i'm not garunteeing any safety.

How many power tubes does the 6505 have?
If its four you can do it in this kind of pattern XOXO or OXOX, if its more than four then i have no idea if you can even do it without blowing stuff up.
Yeah it has 4 power tubes. Also I heard from someone else that you should take out the two inners or the two outers
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Quote by beckyjc
How many power tubes does the 6505 have?
If its four you can do it in this kind of pattern XOXO or OXOX, if its more than four then i have no idea if you can even do it without blowing stuff up.
Sorry but that's not correct.
Pairs in a quad poweramp sit like this: XOOX
You can pull two, then lower your amps impedance. But the volume difference will only drop 3 dbs. Also, the amp will sound a bit thinner and will not sound as "big".
Only way to know is to give it a shot and see if you like it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Whats the problem? Get a weber mini mass and turn it up.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Van Noord
You can pull two, then lower your amps impedance. But the volume difference will only drop 3 dbs. Also, the amp will sound a bit thinner and will not sound as "big".
It varies from amp to amp. It can be both.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by sesstreets
Whats the problem? Get a weber mini mass and turn it up.

The problem isnt the loudness. Its that my cab is only rated at 120 watts.
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Anyone else have any experience with this? I really don't want to buy a head then not be able to use it...
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
^+1

What speakers do you have in your cab? I bet that unless you're playing 1000+ people gigs you're not going to be diming that bitch, so cranked wattage increase shouldn't be an overly critical problem.

Also an attenuator is a good idea for decent low volume practice.
I have two Veteran 30s (Vintage 30 clones for those of you that don't know)

Edit: to acdcrocks. I know its 120 watts because... I made it.
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Last edited by Vandals572 at Dec 14, 2008,
Quote by Van Noord

Im just reciting information ive been given here. Isnt 3db half the wattage anyway?
Have a look in the bugera thread.There's some posts in there about pulling tubes.Outer two I think,then re-bias.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by TheSecondRaid

Thats not true at all. A 120 watt had should run on more than a 120 watt cab or it can damage the cab.
I pull half the tubes in my old 5150 btw. I dont do it in my new 6505 though. Just got to correct the ohms and you can correct the bias but I never messed with mine. It sounds good.
Quote by TheSecondRaid

What? Only if you're going under the cab's power handling.

I've blown out a 50 watt cab with a 30 watt amp before.

I always try to get at least double the wattage of the head. 120 watts is not enough if you're planning on cranking the amp.
Ok here we go, straight from peavey customer support themselves

Hello,

Since the power amp tubes work in pairs, it is possible to operate the amp
with two tubes removed.
We recommend that you remove the two outside power tubes and reduce the
impedance setting on the amplifier to one value below the
rating of the
speaker cabinet. For example, set the impedance selector to 8 ohms for a 16
ohm enclosure.

This is safe as long as the above guidelines are followed, but don’t expect
a huge reduction in volume. Half power results in a ~3 dB volume decrease.

Regards,
Roger Crimm
Regional Service Manager
Peavey Electronics

Geuss that settles that
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band