Hi. I'm going to be getting an ESP (LTD) Viper 100 very soon (seen here). Unlike the higher end ESP Vipers, the LTD comes with passive pickups, and I'd really like to put some active EMGs into it once I get it. Apparently there isn't a battery compartment in it, though. Is that much of a problem? I'm just curious if I'd be able to do this, if I took it into a local guitar place and they "hooked me up". Thanks a lot for any help
It'll very probably fit in the compartment that has all the pots in it.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
you should be able to fit the battery in the compartment you can check when you get it put a 9v battery in and see if it fits fine. you'll probably need a brcket for the battery otherwise the batter will rattle.
Possibly, but make no mistake that there might be some "heavy duty" body work involved. An acquaintance of mine had installed EMG 81-85's on his guitar after he figured out that his Seymour Duncans were inadequate, and it ended up costing him a couple hundred bucks for installation alone due to the large size of the actives. Well, just a word of caution anyway, in some cases it might be better to just spring for the higher-end ESP's (which are awesome BTW) than to upgrade your own
It wouldn't be that hard. You just cut a little hole and put the battery clip into your wiring compartment. The only bad thing is that the EMG's won't make a huge difference on a guitar like that. It'd be better to get just a little nicer model and then throw in the EMG's. Like a Viper-200FM. That'd be your best bet.
Thanks for all your help guys.

And how come it won't make much a difference? I would think it would make more of a difference on a cheap guitar.
I have an ESP Eclipse with active EMGs and there isn't a battery slot, the battery is where all the pots are so you should be fine with the battery. I have heard that installing actives is still a pain in the ass since you need new pots and everything.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Quote by BrofUJu
I would think it would make more of a difference on a cheap guitar.

it does. i had an 81 in my squier strat for a while and it sounded pretty impressive for a chunk of plywood.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Yeah, it'll make a huge difference for a guitar of that price range, but it's not gonna sound that good still. I worded that incorrectly earlier. It will sound like it cost twice that much, but still won't sound that good.
Quote by EclipseCT
Yeah, it'll make a huge difference for a guitar of that price range, but it's not gonna sound that good still. I worded that incorrectly earlier. It will sound like it cost twice that much, but still won't sound that good.

EMGs are EMGs no matter what guitar they're in. the body wood has very little influence on the final sound coming through your speakers.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
#1. Pickups don't make a big difference unless you're running through a Tube amp, or recording. A difference obviuosly, but not a huge one.
#2. You put an EMG in a hunk of wood like a Squier, it sounds amazing.......for a piece of plywood. You put an EMG in a Schecter C-1, it just sounds amazing. It all depends on your amp, and how cheap of a guitar you're putting it into.
So basically it sounds amazing no matter what? :P I've got a Crate half stack, which is a pretty solid amp though its not tube, I think it'll probably help a lot, especially since I dont have a lot of cash to blow really.
Far from it, EMGs sound good in the right situation because they can push a tube amp into distortion sooner due to the onboard preamp, but because the pickups themselves are low output ther retain clarity under distortion.

On a cheap solid state amp like yours that's more likely to result in nasty clipping - you're better off with passives. There's no point wasting your money on stuff that isn't going to do what you want it to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
"but because the pickups themselves are low output ther retain clarity under distortion." Do you mean high output? I'm confused now.
Nope, EMGs are LOW output pickups - it's the onboard preamp that makes things loud.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh right, I see what you mean. Hard for me to know, hearing so many different things from people, lol