Hey

I've decided that I'd like to try to build myself a bass, since I've been playing bass a lot more recently, and I want to try a fretless.

I've built a couple of guitars, so i have the basics down, but i have a couple questions about the specifics of bass building.

1. Is a 1 piece neckthrough strong enough to withstand the tension of the strings, or would a laminate be better? It would be maple, since that's all i can get around here.

2. Do i need any special reinforcements in the neck besides the truss rod?

thanks for the help
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
You might get away with a 1 peice quarter sawn neck though, but for peace of mind I dont think I would ever do anything that long with a 1 peice, I would try to avoid using a 1 peice even for a bolt on but thats just me.

Depends on the width of the neck, a 4 string i prob fine with just a rod, but if you were going on for 6 strings and more you might have to start looking at having carbon fibre rods either side.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
whats the best way to do a multi piece neck?
would i need a second type of wood, or could i just cut the maple apart and glue the whole thing back together?

also, would a bloodwood fretboard be tough enough that i wouldn't have to bother apply epoxy to keep the strings from destroying it?
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Yeah you can cut the 1 peice up and glue it back together (as long as the faces are planed/sanded flat before gluing) aesthetically I dont like multi-peice necks made from the same material, you've gotta have a contrast line IMO just makes it look much nicer.

I'm not too sure how bass fretboards work, but the strings shouldn't really touch it unless you have a really heavy fretting hand, bloodwood is fine for fretboards

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
yeah, i'd prefer to have a second wood, but it's pretty hard to find wood that i can use around here besides maple or red oak.

I'm planning on building a fretless, and i've heard the strings will tear up the board without the frets to give it some room

thanks for all the help
Quote by Kensai

ah sorry forgot it was fretless, I cant comment on that you will have to consult someone that knows stuff about bass fretboards

and surely if you can find it locally a last resort could be buying wood online?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
yeah, i'm thinking i'll have to go online.
the shipping will be a pain, but i'll have a much better selection i guess.

I guess that way i can make it a bit more exotic then what i could with what i've got here

thanks again
Quote by Kensai

If coat the fretboard with polyurethane and If you use flatwound strings it shouldnt tear it up.
yeah, i knew that, but i've heard flatwounds don't sound as good as roundwounds, and i've heard some types of woods are hard enough that you don't need to coat them
Quote by Kensai