ive got a 4x12 cab but its too big for well... practical use. im toying with the idea of building a 2x12 cab to match with the head. its a 100w @ 4 ohms, 63w at 8 ohm, so i think i should aim for the 150w power handling range? im new to guitar cabs, but have built car subwoofer boxes before, so i have a grasp on air space, sealed vs ported vs open back, overall construction and understanding of the geometry to get the size needed.

as far as sound, well, i'd say i play rock/punk. but with effects bordering funk. kinda old incubus, or 311. i want speakers that are not going to be overly bright, nice and warm, but clear. i dont really even know where to look around online for good deals on them, i'd like to be able to get either 1 or 2 12's, as long as they can handle the power of the head.

i guess once i have an idea of the speakers i can start thinking about dimensions for the box, and if i want/need individual airspace or if they can share. i know what i want for the outside, but thats the easy part.

i tried searching to find some answers and didnt find much, if theres a thread to cover all this, lemmi know, i'll delete this.
well, for the speakers, go to warehousespeakers.com and check out their stuff.
cheap and just as good.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
hope its not a dumb question, but are there issues of pairing different wattage speakers together? i've got an idea of what i'd like to pair, but they are either 50w+75w or 60+65w. both putting me over my 100w minimum (125w actually), but i dont know if, expecially on the 50+75 one, if there will be too much stress on the 50w cause of the handling difference. i might wire it for 8ohms, and run the 63w output on the head, as volume/power is not an issue with this head.

it would be the et65 and the veteran30 (65+60)
or
the retro30 and the reaper(75+50)

and if i did 4 ohm stereo would that be an issue?
When you have speakers of different wattage then the total wattage is figured like this:

If it's a 2x12 you double the wattage of the lowest speaker. If you have a 50 watter and 75 atter then the cab is a 100 watt cab. If you have a 60 and 65 then it's a 120 watt cab.

For a 100 watt head you don't need more than a 100 watt cab. Also, unless it's a stereo head then wiring the cab for stereo is pretty pointless.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
When you have speakers of different wattage then the total wattage is figured like this:

If it's a 2x12 you double the wattage of the lowest speaker. If you have a 50 watter and 75 atter then the cab is a 100 watt cab. If you have a 60 and 65 then it's a 120 watt cab.

For a 100 watt head you don't need more than a 100 watt cab.
Also, unless it's a stereo head then wiring the cab for stereo is pretty pointless.

I don't take the "conservative" speaker rating as seriously as I take a "conservative" amp rating. I blew out a "50 watt" Celestion speaker with a "30 watt" amp. Like, smoking coils blown out.
I was gonna suggest warehouse guitar speaker Green back clones cuz that's what I'm selling but they are only 25 watt RMS each so that's a no-go for you.

WGS speakers will get you under the $200 cap. Check out what they've got. This is what I did.

- Go to Celestion website and go to their speaker selection guide.
- Listen to all the different speakers in the genre that you like.
- Find which one sounds the best to you and then buy the clone from WGS.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
I'm going with eminence personally, about 10-20bucks more for each speaker, but I feel better with the classy speakers; that being said, a speaker is a speaker, go with whatever is reliable and cheap
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.