Page 1 of 4
Inspired by a similar thread in the MR forum wondering who the next big band will be.

Basically, I'm wondering which bands you all reckon are going to get big this next year, which ones will get to the metal mainstream?

I personally would say Gojira, as the new album is selling bucketloads from what I hear. No kult penis measuring contests please
I reckon the ones that make it will be the ones that make it. The others won't make it, so I reckon they won't make it.
Joe Jonas.

Yes you herd rite. She will goin solo.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
never heard of them.

link?
Quote by megadeth rule
how do you trip on acid? was your shoelace untied?

Quote by perry589
Mikko, you remind me of a clogged up toilet. You're the poo that won't go away.
Quote by webbtje
I personally would say Gojira, as the new album is selling bucketloads from what I hear. No kult penis measuring contests please

I kid you not, I saw their new album sell in chain retail stores. This bodes well for them, as they especially deserve the success.

This is more of an "I'd love to see ____ make it big", but I think it'd be awesome if Cynic actually made a mint off "Traced In Air". They're already highly influential, but relatively unknown. Some of the songs on their new album actually have single potential, if you ask me. Oh, and Between The Buried And Me should make it big, or at least as big as Opeth. I'd also like to see Dir en grey make it as big here as they have in their native Japan.

The only band I can think of that wasn't big before that probably will make it big enough is Gojira, though. They've just... got it. It's hard to explain, but they've got everything going for them.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Skeletonwitch. If not this year, then next. They'll become the "OMG I LISTEN TO SKELETONWITCH NOW I'M SO METUULLLZZZ" band that is ACTUALLY GOOD and ACTUALLY METUUULLLZZZ. I ****in love Skeletonwitch.

And yes to The Absence. They've been around long enough and have gotten good enough that they should explode.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 14, 2008,
metallica
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Shinozoku
Skeletonwitch. If not this year, then next. They'll become the "OMG I LISTEN TO SKELETONWITCH NOW I'M SO METUULLLZZZ" band that is ACTUALLY GOOD and ACTUALLY METUUULLLZZZ. I ****in love Skeletonwitch.

And yes to The Absence. They've been around long enough and have gotten good enough that they should explode.

+1.

EDIT: they're from Tampa too, which isn't far from Orlando at all...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Dec 14, 2008,
Quote by CG Man16
myspace.com/theabsence

thank you, that was ****ing brilliant.
Quote by megadeth rule
how do you trip on acid? was your shoelace untied?

Quote by perry589
Mikko, you remind me of a clogged up toilet. You're the poo that won't go away.
I do hope that Sculptured get bigger. No signs of it happenning, but they really deserve it.

Also, I do believe that if Riverside, High On Fire and Gojira push just a little more, they'll become huge. The Latter are doing so, Riverside have a big appeal to them, and judging from HoF's buzz in 2007, they're not far from it.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Kill0rBeKilled
Necrophagist will have a music video on MTV

I'm calling it now

I agree, so many people at my school know about them now.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by dead-fish
I do hope that Sculptured get bigger. No signs of it happenning, but they really deserve it.

Also, I do believe that if Riverside, High On Fire and Gojira push just a little more, they'll become huge. The Latter are doing so, Riverside have a big appeal to them, and judging from HoF's buzz in 2007, they're not far from it.

RIVERSIDE <3

They deserve to be our generation's Pink Floyd <3
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by CG Man16
myspace.com/theabsence

woah that dude second from the left looks like an exact copy of john campbell but with mark morton's facial hair

edit: and sometimes the vox sound exactly like devin townsend

this band is amazing!
Hopefully noone I listen to makes it big, cos then I would have to stop listening to them
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by The Evil Hat
metallica

I'd say definitely Gojira. They're getting HUGE at the moment from what I can see.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Ne Obliviscaris hopefully.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
Ne Obliviscaris hopefully.

Actually I agree with this, I'm astounded at the fact that these guys aren't more popular.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
To be fair they are pretty popular for a band that hasn't even released an album.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by dead-fish

took the words out of my mouth. Bolded stuff Especially.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
i'd hope to see a good thrash band get big. Skeletonwitch, as said before, would be brilliant. or Dekapitator.
Quote by webbtje
Inspired by a similar thread in the MR forum wondering who the next big band will be.

Basically, I'm wondering which bands you all reckon are going to get big this next year, which ones will get to the metal mainstream?

I'm really hoping their album sales will get them to do an American re-release of Terra Incognita. I need it so bad.
This thread is almost unanimously a Gojira vote. i agree.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
after hearing so much about Gojira i can't wait to finally hear the new album.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
After hearing so much about Gojira a year ago I was utterly dissapointed when I gave em a listen.

I myself think CC are going to get even more mainstream attention with Evisceration Plague (to contribute to the thread)...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Warbringer just came out with their first cd earlier this year. With more albums like that, I can definately see them becoming the next big thing in metal (If they ditch their bland singer)
Quote by The Shroom420
Warbringer just came out with their first cd earlier this year. With more albums like that, I can definately see them becoming the next big thing in metal (If they ditch their bland singer)

Funny thing, the vocalist is the best part of Warbringer.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
you're such a hater Slay

you rip on everything, nothing's good enough for you
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

But...but...

I'm easily pleased (no pun or poor joke intended).

Quote by eggsandham2
Aside from what's already been mentioned, though it's still somewhat unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised if Behemoth became mainstream. Aside from all the press they get for being generally anti-Christian (the whole bible-ripping incident), "The Apostasy" got a lot of attention, and whatever they're working on next I think might break the barrier.

Genghis Tron's had a lot of buzz around their last release, so I think probably when they release their next CD (probaby '10, '11) they'll become a lot more known than they already are, and I feel the same about Three Inches of Blood, though they were at Ozzfest so it's debatable that they're already "mainstream" or not.
I'll be original and bet on Wolfmother with the new line-up. I'm gonna have to trust Stockdale this time.
I agree with Slay. Warbringer are teh bore. I saw them live and...well....singer blows...and everything else is once again standard thrash.

CC and Gojira seem like a good bet. I'd also say To-Mera have great potential to make it, but unfortunately, they remain relatively obscure even with a stellar release this year. NeO of course, will also impress. That's next year, but whatever. Suffocation might start crawling out of the gutter next year, who knows. Decrepit Birth seems to have gotten quite a bit of attention for their last piece o' crap too.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Slaytanic1993
But...but...

I'm easily pleased (no pun or poor joke intended).

Obviously, you like Opeth
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!

bounds officially overstepped, Messiah
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

Page 1 of 4