I recently sold an ESP horizon for $1750 AUD, mainly because I found it uncomfortable (thicker neck and no body contour for resting arm) and now I can buy another guitar. I have an old ibanez rg370dx which is falling to bits (had it for 4 years) but I love the neck and so I think I'll have to stick with an ibanez.

I play rock (satriani type stuff).

I've tried some guitars in a few stores and considering my price range of $1750 AUD, I'd like either a s470dxqm ($1200) or an Rg2550z ($1750). The s470dxqm is cheaper, however, it does not come with a case and I would have to replace the pickups. That increases the overall price of buying an s470dxqm to around $1650. The Rg already comes with a case and has decent pickups that I probably wouldn't replace, aswell as an extra 2 frets.

So, the korean made s470dxqm would be only $100 cheaper than the japanese made Rg.

I find the s470dxqm to be slightly more comfortable, aswell as being slightly more attractive (the Rg looks a bit too metal, with the inlays etc), but I know the quality will be lower than the Rg, and that it would be more of a risk to buy. So I'm not sure if I can justify buying the S470 if I could have a quality guitar for just an extra $100.

The Rg is basswood. The s470 is mahogany but thin, so I couldnt tell much difference when listening to both (considering the bad pickups on the S). The s470 wouldn't be a big upgrade from my rg370dx. It has the same neck, but with a good trem and a more comfortable body.

I've been keeping an eye out for a second hand s470 in the local paper for the past few months and I havent had much luck (I dont want to buy off ebay seeing as I cant try it out).

I think the Rg2550z is the better decision, I just need to get over my crush on the s470dxqm blue moon burst. What would you do? Would you buy a korean guitar thats almost the same price as a MIJ guitar If you preferred the body and look slightly?

Thanks for reading.
Ive got an S520ex with exactly the same stock pickups and they are not bad pickups, infact i actually prefer the inf1 and inf 2 pickups to some of the high end DiMarzios ive heard. But hey thats a matter of prefference all im saying is dont instantly swap em out try them in your setup see if you can find "that tone" before getting shot of them.

I personally would recommend the S Series and to be perfectly honest a non prestige S with a decent setup can knock the socks off any RG tone wise.

However the ZR tren is a godsend but ive not yet compared this too an Edge Zero trem so i couldnt comment on them.

In the end its down to opinion its the one you feel most in tune with, like any guitar when you play it youll know.
The RG is better overall. 1mm difference in the neck is negligable, Dimarzio pickups (even if they are Dimarzio IBZ [ibanez] pickups) are way better than Ibanez's regular pickups. And the ZR trems are terrible for pinch harmonics... you can still do them, but its not as easy as should be and they don't sound as good.
Quote by SPBY
The RG is better overall. 1mm difference in the neck is negligable, Dimarzio pickups (even if they are Dimarzio IBZ [ibanez] pickups) are way better than Ibanez's regular pickups. And the ZR trems are terrible for pinch harmonics... you can still do them, but its not as easy as should be and they don't sound as good.

hahaha pinching is all technique bro. I have no problem with pinches on mine.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
hahaha pinching is all technique bro. I have no problem with pinches on mine.

Amen to that. RG series overall isnt as nice as the S, the S is much more versatile, especially the 3 pickup models and the ZR trem is one of the smoothest out there.
Go with the S. the tone is better, the look is better, Its more comfortable, its more versatile, costs less. don't let the fact that its made in korea stop you. korea makes good **** now. I don't like the tone of RGs or the look.

If you're gonna replace the pickups in the S check out a dimarzio fred pickup its what they use in the bridge of the JS1000
UG's Prodigal Son
get the rg2550z!
mine is great
and i have had no problems with it
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Quote by Ismail93
get the rg2550z!
mine is great
and i have had no problems with it

I really do like the rg2550z. The neck is wonderful and easy to play. It does feel slightly thinner then the s470 neck, correct me if i'm wrong. I actually just found an Rg2550E available on an online music store for $1695, which has the dot inlays which I strongly prefer over the shark tooth ones. I'm not fussed over the different trems.

I'm surprised most suggested the S. Makes me feel slightly less guilty when considering choosing it over the japanese Rg.