Hi,
A quick question which hopefully someone can answer for me.

I've been learning to play for just over a year, and am really getting into the whole bass thing. However, I've just got something called mallet finger - basically I've broken the tendon of the end joint of the middle finger of my right hand meaning I can't straighten the finger at all (I'm right handed btw). Whilst been a general pain in the butt, it also means I can't play for at least six weeks, and maybe much longer.

I was just wondering if anyone else had suffered from a similar thing, and how long it took to really recover. Also, will I still be able to play finger-style or will I need to switch to a pick?
you can use your pick or you can smack the bass strings with your thumb thats how i play
Quote by dethead666
you can use your pick or you can smack the bass strings with your thumb thats how i play

I like that, smack the bass strings. From now on slap bass is smack bass fella's.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
1) take this opportunity to learn to play with other fingers.
2) learn to slap in the down time.
4) improve your pick style.

EDIT: Yeah, that's right, too cool for 3.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by fatgoogle
I like that, smack the bass strings. From now on slap bass is smack bass fella's.

thats how i roll son!
Quote by TormentedRx
Smack bass?! Where do I get lessons!

ya sing me up too!
Smack bass- the technique I use after making suspicious rustling and lighter noises in the venue toilets for 20 minutes prior to going onstage, then proceeding to itch myself as I play.