pretty much every song i know is in 4/4 time. im looking to learn something with an odd time signature. preferably any kind of rock/metal, but ill play anything.

suggestions?

EDIT: sorry, forgot to ask earlier, but if you list a song please include the time signature if you know it. thanks.
Last edited by mogan777 at Dec 14, 2008,
Money by Pink Floyd is in 7/8

Also, pretty much anything by Rush
"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff." -- Mariah Carey
Do you listen to any Progressive Rock/Metal?

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

THE GAME
If I remember right, Money actually changes time signatures. It starts out in 7/8 and goes to 4/4 towards the end. How cool is that?
Quote by JD267
Do you listen to any Progressive Rock/Metal?

This. Preferably Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by ZombieNation727
Money by Pink Floyd is in 7/8

Also, pretty much anything by Rush

Actually it's 7/4
loads of soundgarden, the end of rusty cage is in 19/8
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
gyroscope by in flames, the victorious dead by the absence; they both switch around a couple of times
opeth too
most anything by the dave brubeck quartet (jazz). they use some weird time signatures. blue rondo a la turk is in 9/8
Quote by aznrockerdude
This. Preferably Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater.

Lots of good answers, but this is great example of it
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Quote by mogan777
pretty much every song i know is in 4/4 time. im looking to learn something with an odd time signature. preferably any kind of rock/metal, but ill play anything.

suggestions?

Constant Motion, by Dream Theater.

And I believe Money is in 7/4 with a swing time.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
are dragon force 4/4 if not try them
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
^A waltz is hardly odd time.

The intro riff and all repeats of it in Cream's White Room is in 5/4 while the rest is 4/4.

Guys, please be specific when you make your post. It isn't all too helpful to know that Dream Theater uses a lot of odd time if you don't know what the meter is or when it is.
What I do to practice my odd time signature, is taking Odd time beats from drum sites, and follow exactly the accents of the drummer. This lays a strong foundation in understanding how and why odd time signatures work, and also strongly improve ur sense of rhythm.

Totally of topic, but fun worth checking out is studying drum rudiments.

They are (poly)rhythm(ic) practices for the snare drum, but I just replace it with open strings and self made (non musical and musical) riffs.

Polyrhythms can be thought of as 2 musical ideas in 1 bar with different rhythms. A bit like an odd time signature in a normal time signature, or 2 different "feels" in 1.

Triplets is the most well known, but there are others which are very fun and can really spice up ur playing.

Quintuplets are very fun to start with(5 notes to 1 beat)

in 4/4 it would be

1-2-3-4-5|1-2-3-4-5|-1-2-3-4-5|-1-2-3-4-5|

All the 1's are on the downbeats in a 4/4 and the other numbers are notes. It's hard to practice when u start out, but this is key to how a lot of shred and prog sounds awesome. It also sounds less "mechanical" then the standard 16th's or triplet/sextuplet groupings.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
The Dance Of Eternity by DT uses a ton of odd time signatures. Look up the GP and see yourself! 'Time Out' by the Dave Brubeck Quartet is a classic jazz album that was written as an experiment in using odd times. You've probably heard 'Take Five' (in 5/4).
Money by Pink Floyd is in 7/4, the main riff of 'Beyond This Life' by Dream Theater is in 5/4 and 'Full Circle'-the third movement in Dream Theater's Octavarium is in 7/8 (my favorite time sig).
Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.