I want a laptop for christmas but I barely know anything about them or what is good and what isn't. I will just be using it for internet and music mainly. My price range is up to $500. Maybe more if its really worth it. Any suggestions? thanks.
I have an Acer Extensa I got on sale for $400. Acer owns some of your major computer companies (like Gateway I believe). Dont let the low price fool you. They are relatively new in the U.S., however they are (as I have heard) popular in Europe. I love it, but Im going to get an Apple before I head off to college next year. Apple is soposedly the best for music, though its based on personal opinion. I would go to a computer store and try some out to see what you like. But I highly recomend an Acer.
$500? Wow, that sucks. It's not really worth the money. Buy something else with the $500, or save up for a decent laptop.

Quote by UntilTheRapture
I have an Acer Extensa I got on sale for $400. Acer owns some of your major computer companies (like Gateway I believe). Dont let the low price fool you. They are relatively new in the U.S., however they are (as I have heard) popular in Europe. I love it, but Im going to get an Apple before I head off to college next year. Apple is soposedly the best for music, though its based on personal opinion. I would go to a computer store and try some out to see what you like. But I highly recomend an Acer.

Acer is pretty bad. Asus, however, is good. But yes, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are the best laptops out there.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
actually xiaoxi, i doubt this kid is doing much besides browsing and media, a $500 computer will suit him fine for that. Go toshiba if you want, im typing on a satellite right now. Its pretty solid, got it on sale for $450. I like the computer, except that it runs Windows, which i loathe with a passion.

Edit: OP if your getting a Mac for college, just wait until then so your parents dont have to pay twice for a laptop, which is a HUGE waste.

Maybe you can convince them to get you the Mac now, seeing as they have excellent longevity (my aunts Powerbook G4 runs like a freakin beast on only 512 Mb of RAM). For longevity and retaining value, NOTHING beats a mac.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Last edited by kaosfire at Dec 14, 2008,
People endorsing Macs?! What is wrong with you people?
MASSIVE TEXT
you do realize if you want word or any other software stuff it'll ad at least another $100
EDIT: word and security adds up to like $200 alone i think
unless your getting a mac(which you cant afford), you want need word.
Quote by stratdud39
you do realize if you want word or any other software stuff it'll ad at least another $100
EDIT: word and security adds up to like $200 alone i think
unless your getting a mac(which you cant afford), you want need word.
No, they add up to $0.00

There are free versions of both that are better than most of the shit you pay for.
Quote by freedoms_stain
No, they add up to $0.00

There are free versions of both that are better than most of the shit you pay for.

+1

The new office is complete ****. They prettied it up and hid away functionality in order for it to look pretty.

Also, if your not retarded, most of the time viruses arent even a threat anyway. If your an average user however, there are MANY free apps that do a better job than whorton, or Mclaughable.

Those two big name securities are some of the most cycle hungry POS ive ever had the misfortune of using.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by Quidra
Check out the Asus Eee pc lap-tops. They are very small and cheap. It's perfect for web and music. Im going to buy myself one for christmas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

The only thing that will run decently on the EEE is Linux.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Quidra
Check out the Asus Eee pc lap-tops. They are very small and cheap. It's perfect for web and music. Im going to buy myself one for christmas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

That would be a netbook, which is a dumbed down and neutered laptop in essence.

Perfecly fine if you just want to browse the web and listen to some tunes. Dont expect anything great tho.
Quote by Primus2112