I've come across one of these. I play modern metal mainly, but I'd like to start getting into some other genres.

Any opinions or comments on this amp? It has a GEQ as well.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
It's basically a CLX from what I've read. This one I'm looking at is from 1993.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

VHT makes amazing stuff. They rival Diezel and Soldano...

I'd do it if I were you, 'cause it'll probably be awhile before you find another deal such as that (provided it's in your price range of course )
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, I feel pretty obliged to just buy it. I've heard some people say it doesn't have enough gain and other things like that - so I just want any first hand opinions on it.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

If you're uncertain about how much gain it has, I'd try it. It might not have quite the voicing you're looking for though.
A pitbull would be perfect for you. I'm surprised that you found one in your price range.
I can't try it - it's in the US

Don't really care too much about voicing anymore - but care to post an example of VHT voicing?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by imgooley
A pitbull would be perfect for you. I'm surprised that you found one in your price range.

What makes it perfect for me in your opinion?

The guys been trying to sell it for a while actually. He's accepting offers too
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h

What makes it perfect for me in your opinion?

The guys been trying to sell it for a while actually. He's accepting offers too

You want that modern metal type thing, right?

The one I tried had that tight low end and fast response. **** ton of gain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev6QbJTZWxM&feature=related
From my understanding VHTs have a very very very dry voicing so you might wanna try and listen to as many clips as you can.
Any other comments on the voicing? Some clips seem to have different voicing than others
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

i've tried one of the vht combos... pittbull 30? something like that. was pretty nice, wouldn't have been my first choice for br00talz, but did up to hard rock ok. depends how good a price you're getting, i guess. can you try it first? as A-5best says, they have their own tone, you'd ideally want to try it to make sure you like it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can't try it, it's located in the U.S (Michigan)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

ah, crap. are there no vht dealers in vancouver?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't think so. None listed on VHT's site in Vancouver or B.C.

How would you describe their tone?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

kinda dry, for want of a better word. I liked the ones i tried, a lot (just not at UK prices), but it's a pretty distinctive tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You sure it's not a first choice for br00talz? According to a pretty loyal VHT guy, the Pitbull Classic has more gain that the Ultra Lead.

What exactly does dry mean in reference to tone? I think I might have an idea, but I'm not sure whether its just the camera mics (uTube vids) that are causing it.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Listen to Helmet's latest two albums.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by mike.h
(a) You sure it's not a first choice for br00talz? According to a pretty loyal VHT guy, the Pitbull Classic has more gain that the Ultra Lead.

(b) What exactly does dry mean in reference to tone? I think I might have an idea, but I'm not sure whether its just the camera mics (uTube vids) that are causing it.

(a) i'm not sure- the combo i tried may have been different to the one you're buying. Certainly the VHT heads I've tried could do the br00talz fine.

(b) it's hard to describe. kind of woody, not much "air" to it, that kind of thing. as i said, it's hard to describe. like, if you were used to a sound with a lot of delay and reverb, and then turned both of those off- the resulting sound would sound quite "dry" to your ears, that kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do you remember the heads you tried? Was the Ultra Lead one of them? If so, how did it compare to the Pitbull?

Also, did all of them have the same amount of "dryness"?

Questions, questions, questions
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

i've tried the deliverance, and one of the more expensive ones (i think the ultralead, but i'm honestly not sure). they both had that characteristic vht tone, as did the combo, up to a point.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, definitely. that's the kind of "dryness" i'm talking about.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So the Pitbull can pull that off?

If you don't mind, could you give me an example of an amp that's the opposite of dry?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

yeah, sure, i don't see why not. it's got that kind of slightly darker/smoother/more refined sound, from what i can remember. my savage se can sound a bit like tgat too, depending on how it's dialled in... i'm honestly not that sure about what the opposite of "dry" would be... i guess a more "raw" tone? maybe like a mesa dual recto? not certain, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm. From what I've heard I came to the conclusion that a dry tone is a mix of raw and dark tone.

Sorry for pummeling you with all of these questions - but overall the gain structure is pretty much the same as the UL?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

^^ you mean in the clip? yeah, the one i tried (as i say, i forget the model- i think it had the graphic EQ though) got more or less as much gain as in that clip.

^ it's ages since i tried the vht head, from what i can remember, the vht was in the same ballpark, but maybe a bit less presence/treble (especially in the leads which were played on that nitro clip) etc.

mainly, i don't want to say something which is wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a) you mean in the clip? yeah, the one i tried (as i say, i forget the model- i think it had the graphic EQ though) got more or less as much gain as in that clip.

b) it's ages since i tried the vht head, from what i can remember, the vht was in the same ballpark, but maybe a bit less presence/treble (especially in the leads which were played on that nitro clip) etc.

mainly, i don't want to say something which is wrong.

a) The head you tried wasn't the UL, right? One of the other pitbulls amirite?

b) So overall the voicing/gain is similar, it's just dialed in differently in that vid? See a)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

i'm honestly not sure which one i tried. i looked on the vht site, and it could be the ultralead 100, or 100 CL...

i'm not sure if it's dialled in differently in the splawn vid, or whether that's a difference in the amp's voicing. i haven't tried the splawn.

not trying to sound harsh, but i'm scared of giving you bad advice- i'd rather say nothing than say something which could be wrong.

Assuming the one you're buying sounds similar to the ones i've tried, i think that'd likely be a major step-up from stuff like bugera (which i admittedly haven't tried) which you were originally looking at, assuming you can get it for a decent price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm. You mentioned that you tried one of the pitbull combos (1x12, 2x12?), that's what I've been wanting your opinion on. The combo you tried vs that UL clip and the Splawn clip.

Don't worry about being right - I've read in so many places that all the VHT's share the same characteristics.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

i think the combo i tried was the pittbull super 30. from what i can remember (and also, i use less gain than i used to, it's possible i could try it now and think it had plenty of gain ), it didn't get just as heavy as the heads. The heads were hard rock and metal amps (but quite versatile), while the combo was more a hard rock ( also quite versatile) amp, i thought. it had a similar voicing to the VHTs i have tried, though, you'd have known it was a vht, kind of thing.

as i said, though, you might not get much better for the price, assuming you are getting a good price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, the one i tried had no GEQ, from the sounds of it the one you're looking at may be more like the heads.

not too sure about the f30- i may actually have tried the two head to head ( - or maybe it was the f50), from what i can remember, i thought they were similar in terms of quality. ideally, you'd need to try them... which makes things very difficult if you can't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. I can't try them, unfortunately. Both are in the U.S.

I'll make a new thread/poll, F-30 vs Pitbull and see what everyone else has to say.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

yeah, that sucks. i guess just listen to as many clips and do as much research etc. as you can, and try your best. if the combo you're looking at is more like the vht heads, then i'd prefer the vht, i think, over the mesa. but obviously personal preference comes into that, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?