Last weekend I played on a Hughes & Kettner Statesman tube amp, and it sounded great. I'll have some saving up to do if I decide to go for it. Does anyone have this amp, or have an opinion on it?

This will be replacing my Marshall MG 30 watt, so I need something that will be as loud or, preferably, louder. I was thinking of going for the 40 watt one, since it's only $200 more than the 20 watt.

I play all genres from Blues Rock to Metal and some acoustic stuff, will this amp work for all of those, or will I need some pedals as well?

I have a link to it here if you are interested in looking it up.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...-Amp?sku=482099
Last edited by Sir Ducksalot at Dec 14, 2008,
dude these amps rock ive played on a few including the 40 watt. Its got a crazy warm overdrive that can be cranked to kick ass and a totally smooth clean tone. The dynamics are great on it and is very clear not muddy. It cant do metal too well though, its not really a metal amp. I guess you can always buy like a metal zone pedal or something and it'll be okay but you'd be totally killing your tone. If ur gonna play mostly clean blues, dirty blues, or straight up rock, then go for it!
this amp will not do metal, honestly its gonna sound like complete ****, this is a pretty low gain amp, also the 20 watt one would probaly be louder than your mg cus its tube wich is louder, if your lookin to spend this much, look at some of the other H+Ks cus somethin like the duotone might suit you if your look for versital warm sound, i believe alex lifeson(rush) uses the triamp mk III or somethin like that i might be wrong on the model name but its either that one or the duotone he uses im pretty sure, but you if you play anything heavier than purp or sabbath this probaly isnt an amp for you but definately keep lookin into H+K or maybe an engl classic 50, i never tried one but ive heard it played, and it can get pretty damn high gain, and can do the classic stuff real nicely so ya either look into higher gain H+Ks or an engl classic 50 or somethin of the sort
Quote by Sir Ducksalot
Last weekend I played on a Hughes & Kettner Statesman tube amp, and it sounded great. I'll have some saving up to do if I decide to go for it. Does anyone have this amp, or have an opinion on it?

This will be replacing my Marshall MG 30 watt, so I need something that will be as loud or, preferably, louder. I was thinking of going for the 40 watt one, since it's only $200 more than the 20 watt.

I play all genres from Blues Rock to Metal and some acoustic stuff, will this amp work for all of those, or will I need some pedals as well?

I have a link to it here if you are interested in looking it up.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...-Amp?sku=482099

I own the 20 watt Statesman, and the thing rocks.

Just a bit of advice though, don't get the 40 watt version. You won't be able to turn it up loud enough in your house to get the amps true tone (by which I mean you can't even turn it up to 2 without rattling the windows). The 40 watt was so loud in fact that I took it to a gig at a reasonably large room with about 250-300 people with a ton of ambient noise, and still I never got the volume past 3, and I could be clearly heard from the back of the room.

The only reason to buy the 40 watt version is if you plan to do a lot of gigging in an incredibly loud band, and you need a completely clean sound. Otherwise buy the 20 watt, it's just more practical, and even that is incredibly loud.

While it is primarily a classic rock/blues amp, it's got heaps of gain, certainly enough to Metal well enough. If you're planning on playing in a Metal band or you're super serious about your metal then this isn't the amp for you. Otherwise it'll do it well enough, and if you doubt me I'm willing to embarrass myself and post a poorly played metal demonstration sound clip through my Statesman
Thanks for your replies, I guess for the sake of my windows I'll stick with the 20 Watt version. If you could, icronic, I'd like to hear a metal demo of this amp if you have any spare time.

I like the sound of old school style metal like Sabbath and Metallica. I ran an Epiphone Sheraton-II archtop through this amp at the store, and I was suitably impressed with the old school metal sound I got through with the gain on max. I then tried the Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul with EMG's and was also blown away by it. Would you agree that this amp is good for old school style metal?

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

If you wanted to take a look at the Sheraton-II it's here..
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=8&CollectionID=1
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra

Marshall MG 30DFX

Norman B20 acoustic guitar
I did a quick recording for you.

It's sloppy as hell, a combination of almost numb fingers (the heater is broken making this a very cold house) and me not having played metal in years, but still it should give you a general idea.

All you're hearing is the amp, and a tiny bit of echo. I'm using an Ibanez guitar with SD Pearly Gates pickups in them which is also distinctly non-metal (they're used by ZZTop). Recorded with a crap mic that came with Rock Band of all things, I had to put it off to the side slightly as not to overload it. Meaning it's missing some of that top end punch that you'd expect.

Anyway I could make it even better if I used my EQ and OD pedals, but I figured I'd just go for the amps sound.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/icronic/music/all/play488697

I'm not going to keep it up for more than a few days though, it's definitely not among my finest moments of guitar playing

Edit:

The amp does kind of have this Marshal vibe to it, so it definitely can do the Sabbath stuff, Metallica is passable as my clip demonstrates, but certainly not authentic.

I just think it's funny that you're looking at a distinctly non-metal amp, combined with the Sheraton, which is like the everything but Metal guitar. But make no mistake it's a Classic Rock amp. It just happens to be a very versatile Classic Rock amp Still if it's purely Metal you want there are probably better options within that price range.
Last edited by icronic at Dec 14, 2008,
Thanks a lot to icronic and all others that posted, I think I'll start saving up for this amp now.

Thanks again.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra

Marshall MG 30DFX

Norman B20 acoustic guitar