If you even want to call it a build yet... I haven't even started.

This is sort of a 'verification' thread, if you will.

What I'm going to do, is list all the things I have in mind to use/do, and tell me if I need to change anything.

Okay, First, I will put the list of...... "Stuff" I'm going to use.

And that's basically it... If I left anything out/forgot anything, I'm sorry. I'm a lil tired, and a bit drunk... Hah. Peace.
                            With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

It's hard to mix active and passive pickups; I'd suggest getting a duncan TB-6 distortion in the bridge for that, or using a neck blackout.
                            You'll need 500k pots for passive humbuckers or 50k for blackouts.
                            Current Gear:
                            LTD MH-400
                            PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
                            Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
                            Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
                            Audient iD22 interface
                            Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
                            Adam S3A monitors
                            Quote by Anonden
                            You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
                            its also pretty tough to reach all 24 frets with a strat style body.

like you might be better off with an ibanez type body, but its really whatever you want to do
                            Hmm okay. I was kind of thinking of that (about with the body) anyway, so okay. I'll see. Um, Can you link to those pick ups you listed? I wanna use singles for neck and middle, but a humbucker for the bridge.. like i said. kinda an HSS thing goin on.
                            With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Quote by Sublime_Dude
                            Hmm okay. I was kind of thinking of that (about with the body) anyway, so okay. I'll see. Um, Can you link to those pick ups you listed? I wanna use singles for neck and middle, but a humbucker for the bridge.. like i said. kinda an HSS thing goin on.

sure, just hang on a second.
                            http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product.cgi?group=14792&product=14799
                            http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product.cgi?group=14602&product=14604
                            http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product.cgi?group=14602&product=14603
                            Current Gear:
                            LTD MH-400
                            Audient iD22 interface
                            Adam S3A monitors
                            Quote by Anonden
                            You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
                            Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 14, 2008,
                            Okay, thanks. the singles i listed will be okay then?

Quote by Sublime_Dude
                            Okay, thanks. the singles i listed will be okay then?

If you use active you have to use an active single coil (EMG SA, Duncan AS-1).
                            Current Gear:
                            LTD MH-400
                            Audient iD22 interface
                            Adam S3A monitors
                            Quote by Anonden
                            Okay. Cool. So, anything else I should know? I finally figured out how to route the pickup cavities... I think. You use some kind of electric tool with a Ball Bearer or something right? I know, I'm one of the most vague people on here, but, I hope you know what I mean. Don't know how else to describe it.

EDIT: Oh, another thing... Are all the pickups going to run off of one battery, or am I going to have to use several? Lol... If you can only do active with active, then I'd assume one battery for all of them based on the wiring diagrams, but I want to make sure.

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Dec 14, 2008,
                            You use a wood router to route the pickup cavities. Some router bits (kinda like drill bits but for routers...I'm just assuming you don't know what router bits are, disregard if you do) have ball bearing which just provides smoother cutting. Also, when you get around to it, you should either make or buy templates for routing the cavities. It's a lot easier - a router goes pretty crazy unless you have a real feel for it.

It's really difficult to mix active and passives for multiple reasons, one being that the pot values are different between the two (actives are 25k, passives are usually either 50 or 500k). So you should go for all active or all passive. And yes, only one battery is necessary to power active pickups.
                            the ball bearing doesn't make them cut smoother unless you use a template for your work... it's not like the bearing is a magical tool that says "hey, router bit... cut smoother".

Also, drill buts cut axially, router bits cut radially... router bits are more like end mills than drill bits... unfortunately 90% of the world has no f*cking clue what an end mill is
                            Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
                            Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
                            the ball bearing doesn't make them cut smoother unless you use a template for your work... it's not like the bearing is a magical tool that says "hey, router bit... cut smoother".

Also, drill buts cut axially, router bits cut radially... router bits are more like end mills than drill bits... unfortunately 90% of the world has no f*cking clue what an end mill is

Thanks, listen to NBT8, he knows what he's talking about

and I don't know what an end mill is...
                            an end mill is a tool, similarly shaped to a drill with different geometry. A drill is designed to cut in a downward, or axial direction whereas an end mill is meant to cut more like a router bit in a sideways, or radial direction. Some end mills are center cutting which allows them to be used to plunge axially like a drill but the geometry does not allow for self-centering - much like a forstner bit without the little center spike.
                            Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology