Page 1 of 2
Well for the past couple of weeks ive been literally set on getting a Fender Hot rod Deluxe, on craigslist ive been messaging this guy for weeks asking for pics and i almost literally told him i was going to buy it. BUT last night i went to my cousins' house for his birthday and we jammed out all night (btw i played one of those new raven amps, they're not to bad for the price) and i realized how much i liked to play heavier stuff, for a while now bc i have been playing in the jazz band, ive been just playing cleans and practicing with cleans. and thats why i wanted to get the HRD.

But today i found out about this new Orange dealer, the only one in my state. And i tried out the tiny terror. WOW, that thing is amazing, sounds amazing. The cleans arn't exactly the HRD but the OD is amazing. And the guy said he let me have it and a orange cab for 650$, which i know is a great deal. But since my dad is buying me the amp for christmas, he didnt let me buy it on the spot to "make sure we got the best deal for what i needed.

So basicly, i wanted to buy the HRD because of the cleans bc they sound great for Jazz band, but for everything else the TT is great. i was going to get the HRD for 350$ then buy a bunch of pedals, but with the TT ill probably only get that and maybe a loop pedal.

So im kinda stuck here, any advice will help
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
yes, a dispute that is a commencement of a conflict between statements of accepted fact
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
well, if you like the orange and can afford it, get it.
if not, get the HRD and a good distortion pedal.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Id go for the HRD, just cause the cleans are amazing, and the OD channel isnt as bad as alot of people say it is.

With good pedals youll be set and your OD hunger will be satisfied.
Thats a tough one:P but with a little reverb and chorus the TT has very nice cleans too
I would definately go for that, and I bet youll love the lower wattage as well and even though it is definately a dirty little amp, it still has the 15 watts of headroom which will be more than sufficient for most situations
Id definately go for that.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
If you want good drive, get the TT, if you want good cleans, get the HRD. Simple.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you want good drive, get the TT, if you want good cleans, get the HRD. Simple.

but i want both, is both to much to ask for. and the orange is just so sexy, but i need the cleans
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
Quote by Ardie12
but i want both, is both to much to ask for. and the orange is just so sexy, but i need the cleans

And it has the cleans besides running an OD on a hrd at say 2-3 vol. wont get you anywhere near a saturated sound youll ifnd sufficient Imo cleans are fairly easy to acquire, GREAT distortion, not just barable, but GREAT distortion is pretty damn hard to obtain. A cranked TT has that IMO. Just roll back your guitar vol, add a bit of chorus and verb, and Ill promiss you youll cleans that youll enjoy, not quite as nice as the fenders, but very nice indeed Go try it out though, with verb and subtle chorus, do a side by side, Im sure your orange shop has a hrd lying around:
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
I thought the TTs cleans were rubbish, way too warm, bordering on the point of muddy. If the TS likes fender cleans he probably won't like the TTs cleans. I didn't think the TTs drive was very nice either, not for the price.
right now what it seems to me, that the HDR would be the safe thing to do, but i really liked the OD on the TT and i got sooo close to buying it today. but im afraid that the responsible thing to do is get the HDR when the fun side of me wants the TT
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
There's nothing responsible about music, get which you like better.
but how good of a deal is the head and cab for only 650$, which is cheaper than a new HRD, but buying it used im risking it breaking and stuff
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
Quote by Ardie12
God this is too hard, im really fighting some GAS right now

Trust me. GAS gets a LOT worse when you have $1000+ to spend.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
Trust me. GAS gets a LOT worse when you have $1000+ to spend.

ohh man. i dont even want to think about that
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
personally, i would get the HRD with a nice OD/DS pedal. that's wat i did and it does heavier stuff very well but then again, i'm not you lol
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
How about you get the TT now, live with it for Jazz Band and save for a HRD for that application. The reason I say that way round is because you can just as easily use a keyboard or bass amp for cleans in jazz band, but the HRD isn't going to work at your higher gain application.
OR you could start looking at other options in your price range that do both well, such as the Peavey Classic 30, Vox AC15, or Laney VC15.
why don't you get something completely different that can do both for a lot less than 650?
...peavey classic 30
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by B. Jammin
OR you could start looking at other options in your price range that do both well, such as the Peavey Classic 30, Vox AC15, or Laney VC15.

dammit i was off a little hahah
good suggestion though
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
dammit i was off a little hahah
good suggestion though

lol it's all good. I know they are the jack of all, master of none but I'm kinda suprised no one suggested other options earlier.
I'm in a similar situation to you. Right now I'm probably gonna go with the TT head and a cab because of my unresolved issues with the size of my penis (and I reckon it'll be easier to transport a head/cab) but I play different styles (grunge, shoegaze, post rock, hardcore) and I get my distortion from fuzz pedals.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
A whole new amp search is going to be impossible before christmas with my exams and everything
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
Quote by B. Jammin

also, i got a Vox AD30, and idk if all 30watt amps are the same amount of loudness, but my vox can barely get loud enough to keep up with the jazz band or when jamming out, but cranked it sounds like crap. So idk if a 30watt combo will be loud enough thats why im looking at a head with a cab or something 40 or 50wts
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
That's a solid state amp, tube amps generally sound about 2 to 2.5 times louder than their solid state counter parts. Basically, a 15 watt tube amp would sound about as loud as a 40 watt ss amp. A 30 watter would sound about as loud as 75 watt ss amp.
After analyzing this, i think im going to go with the HDR, i mean i really like the OD on the TT its amazing, and im really going to want it in the future and i want it more now. But i believe that the HDR is going to be more suited for my needs and will a good amp to build a pedal board around. which will give me a lot more versitility.

So thanks everyone for the advice,
so now anyone want to suggest a good OD, im thinking the Fulltone OCD, and would it be too much to get that and a little big muff. Also whats a good chorus pedal
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
I'm in a similar boat as the original poster. After years of just playing my small collection of electrics for my own pleasure through Korg PX4s and headphones, I'm biting the bullet and getting a combo amp this year...sometime around Christmas.

I have broad taste in music, but when I play, its mostly a mixed bag of classical, jazz, blues, classic rock (from surf/spy on up to the '70's), metal, pop and prog. In short, a little bit of everything. I figured I need an amp that is sonically flexible, and concluded that if I have a good clean channel, its like a blank piece of paper- I can mess it up all I want with other gear.

I went to my favorite local music store- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx- and tried out Vox, Marshall, Line 6, Randall, Fender, and others, it just seemed to me that the Fender Hot Rod was the cleanest of the bunch.

If I find myself playing more of a particular style of music down the road, I may go and purchase something else.

All that said, though...

You really have to listen to your heart. Years ago, my Dad was buying himself a stereo system, and he really wanted some Bose 901s, but he ultimately talked himself out of them for something good but more affordable- they were simply too expensive, he rationalized.

Just 3 scant years later, he bought the Bose 901s, ultimately spending more than he would have had he bought them in the first place.

So, ask yourself- what do you see yourself playing the most of, not in the past, but in the future?

(For the record, I'll agree- the more money you have, the worse GAS gets.)
Save up and get a more diverse amp. I'm playing through an improvised set-up consisting of guitar -> effects -> audio interface -> computer -> 4 old speaker boxes until I can afford a decent diverse amp. Doesn't sound the best, but it's not like I'm gigging.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by Ardie12
After analyzing this, i think im going to go with the HDR, i mean i really like the OD on the TT its amazing, and im really going to want it in the future and i want it more now. But i believe that the HDR is going to be more suited for my needs and will a good amp to build a pedal board around. which will give me a lot more versitility.

So thanks everyone for the advice,
so now anyone want to suggest a good OD, im thinking the Fulltone OCD, and would it be too much to get that and a little big muff. Also whats a good chorus pedal

bit of warning here:P FENDERS DONT TAKE OD PEDALS VERY WELL. I have had both the hrd and the blues deluxe, and as good as the cleans were, no pedal could get distorted sounds anywhere near what I was looking for.

The advice about the ac15 was very good great amp that fits your budget, and has both great cleans, and good overdrive, plus it will eat OD's way better than the fender. And that thing cranked will be WAY louder than your 30w hybrid.
But again, go try them all out side by side. True, the TT's cleans arent that good, but with some chorus and verb, ID say they are good enough, when considering the overdrive that thing pulls

Personally I'd go for the ac15, but it depends really how heavy a sound you will need. For cleans and classic rock though it is great.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
get the HRD and a GOOD distortion or OD pedal. a tubescreamer over top of the OD channel on my HRD sound very good, and can get pretty saturated. or, just buy a good Distortion pedal, like the new satchurator from vox or a more boutique pedal.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
get the HRD and a GOOD distortion or OD pedal. a tubescreamer over top of the OD channel on my HRD sound very good, and can get pretty saturated. or, just buy a good Distortion pedal, like the new satchurator from vox or a more boutique pedal.

Look man Im not trying to diss your gear, if you like it thats fine. But really slamming a dist pedal on the fender = trouble. Have you ever heard an amp like a super lead, jtm, jmp ,an orange, or a vox ac-something or similar cranked? I think you havent, if you really truly believe your getting good overdriven sounds from your fender and a pedal. Im not saying an overdriven fender, on its own can't sound good for mild overdrive, but really no comparisson to a "real" dirty amp at full throttle, for anything above that mild bluesy drive. And adding any other pedal to the fender than a boost, really is begging for trouble imo.

If TS digs the cranked TT, he will VERY likely not be the least bit satisfied with the rock sounds comming from the fender.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
i have a hot rod deluxe and i paired it with an ibanez ts-9 and a boss blues driver and it was amazing, my hot rod never sounded so good. thats all i ran in my effects chain for the longest time. i would get that but a fulltone ocd instead of the bd-2, the bd-2 is too noisy

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
i have a hot rod deluxe and i paired it with an ibanez ts-9 and a boss blues driver and it was amazing, my hot rod never sounded so good. thats all i ran in my effects chain for the longest time. i would get that but a fulltone ocd instead of the bd-2, the bd-2 is too noisy

Okay, I really still think it is a long way from the british rock tones coming out of the TT that ts obviously likes And still think the hrd as well as most other fenders, tend to mudd a lot with pedals thrown on them But yeah the BD-2 is quite a noisemaker, dont know why i still use that thing Really like its sounds for some songs though wouldn't recommend it though clean boosts are nearly always a better option when in front of a great amp imo, unless ofcourse just wanting the occastional diversity in tone
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Last edited by chrisdam at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by chrisdam
Look man Im not trying to diss your gear, if you like it thats fine. But really slamming a dist pedal on the fender = trouble. Have you ever heard an amp like a super lead, jtm, jmp ,an orange, or a vox ac-something or similar cranked? I think you havent, if you really truly believe your getting good overdriven sounds from your fender and a pedal. Im not saying an overdriven fender, on its own can't sound good for mild overdrive, but really no comparisson to a "real" dirty amp at full throttle, for anything above that mild bluesy drive. And adding any other pedal to the fender than a boost, really is begging for trouble imo.

If TS digs the cranked TT, he will VERY likely not be the least bit satisfied with the rock sounds comming from the fender.

If he likes the fender cleans, he will be very dissapointed in not having good cleans with the TT. IMO its easier to fake a dirty sound than fake a clean sound.
and like i said, i get very good sounds out of my amp. A truly competent player can get great sounds from almost anything. so please do not talk down to me because you have spent more money of gear than me.

and yes, i have heard those amps overdriven. in fact, ive played through them before. your right, they sound great. they also cost alot, and have to be very loud. a nice alternative is taking a clean amp and putting a distortion pedal infront of it, a NICE distortion pedal. Have you ever heard a nice distortion pedal? something like a zvex box of rock or a love pedal purple plexi do great jobs if replicating marshall amps.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
If he likes the fender cleans, he will be very dissapointed in not having good cleans with the TT. IMO its easier to fake a dirty sound than fake a clean sound.
and like i said, i get very good sounds out of my amp. A truly competent player can get great sounds from almost anything. so please do not talk down to me because you have spent more money of gear than me.

and yes, i have heard those amps overdriven. in fact, ive played through them before. your right, they sound great. they also cost alot, and have to be very loud. a nice alternative is taking a clean amp and putting a distortion pedal infront of it, a NICE distortion pedal. Have you ever heard a nice distortion pedal? something like a zvex box of rock or a love pedal purple plexi do great jobs if replicating marshall amps.

I am very sorry if you felt I talked down to you. I have no reason to whatsoever, you're a fellow musician and have deep respect for everyone in that category Simpy thought you were saying this to defend your own gear, as some people have a tendency to do I am sorry if that was not the case, I was trying to spare TS some of the frustrations I myself have had when not being able to get the sounds I wanted and needed out of the fender. But youre right, the cleans on the fender is definately way better than the TT, which is why I supported the suggestion of the vox, that kinda fits in both camps, and the budget

Yes I think I have played about every well known, and lots of lesser well-known OD/dist pedals out there. And sure those you list are nice for what they do. I did try the BOR on the hrd, and think it got quite muddy, and just didnt sound right. Truly believe that the fenders are not able to get to anything above mild OD and still sound good. I love the amps, dont get me wrong; they have become a favorite by many for very good reason, but just dont think that TS will be satisfied in the terms of it's overdrive capabilities.

As for the statement that a truly competent player can get good sound out of mostly anything, Imo thats not really true. Sure a great player can make a ****ty amp sound better than a lousy player can. But that's not to say that there aren't certain boundaries. Really, no matter how great a player you might be, an amp mudding your signal and tone, surely can't be fixed with pure ability and smooth fingers.

Again, sorry if it seemed like I was talking down to you or others, surely was not my intention
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat