How do diamond files compare to normal toothed files? Stewmac claims that normal files leave chatter marks and roughness, and they also claim that their diamond crowning files dont. Is anyone able to back either of those statements up? If so, just how rough do normal toothed files leave the frets? I'm willing to dish out for the quality, but I dont want to be wasting my money if its not going to benefit me.

Stewmac is the only one I see that carries the diamond files, while warmoth and LMII both carry regular toothed files, but at a significantly lower price. Anyone who has experience with any of these files, please feel free to provide me with some insight
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Dec 14, 2008,
Quote by Pyrofretnic
How do diamond files compare to normal toothed files? Stewmac claims that normal files leave chatter marks and roughness, and they also claim that their diamond crowning files dont. Is anyone able to back either of those statements up? If so, just how rough do normal toothed files leave the frets? I'm willing to dish out for the quality, but I dont want to be wasting my money if its not going to benefit me.

Stewmac is the only one I see that carries the diamond files, while warmoth and LMII both carry regular toothed files, but at a significantly lower price. Anyone who has experience with any of these files, please feel free to provide me with some insight

I am no engineering expert, but I believe that chatter occurs when the cutter and the material, have to fight. That could be that the cutter is too fast or too blunt and the material too hard.

In the fret crowning files, a regular steel file will have to fight the fret, more than the diamond file will, simply because diamonds are so bad ass, when compared to steel.

In short, diamond will cut easier, where the steel will bounce more.
I owned the StewMac contoured diamond file and did a few jobs with it, it was pretty incredible. Very fast, very smooth, super high quality. I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on doing a lot of jobs though, as you could get 3-4 regular files for the price of one of those SM ones....it's up to you in the end, really. You can get just-as-good results with a normal one, but it will be "easier" to get them with the diamond file.
I got a normal one from stewmac - first time I ever used one, worked great
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I have the regular crowning file and dont have any problems with it, and I use stainless frets.
Files aren't expected to leave the final finish anyway. That's going to be the abrasive, whether emery paper or scotchbrite and polishing.

Might save some labor on the later steps, but it isn't going to eliminate them. I'd suspect this is another thing Stew Mac just sells whether you need it or not.