So I am trying to look for a guitar (my second ever) and I need some advice.

I have a crappy little marshal amp that doesn't do anything, so I want to upgrade that and get a decent guitar along with it ( note my price range is still only up to 200 dollars)

So I have been looking at cheap guitars/amps and I found the Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt amp and as of now I am fixed on that

I have also looked at the Epiphone Les paul special 2 series and tried it out at guitar center and liked it, but I want to be sure I am getting the best quality I can for my price range.

Would the epiphone les paul and peavey vypyr be a good guitar/amp combo? (keeping the guitar under $200 and the amp under $110)

I know I won't be able to get anything extremely good for that price, I just want to get rid of this crappy off brand guitar I have. Any advice on what would be a better combo?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I play mainly rock/hard rock and some metal or even punk occasionally. So I need the amp to have a decent amount of gain, does the vypyr offer this?
Last edited by toolfan91 at Dec 14, 2008,
My lord. 200 dollars won't get you crap. Save up until you have 400-500 if you want a decent rig.

Otherwise, if you MUST get it now, don't get the Epiphone i have one, and it's balls. I have no idea why you like it, because it's a terrible guitar. For the amp, a Vypyr is fine.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
The epiphone is not a great guitar, falls out of tune, bad tone for anything other than metal, and also looks rather ugly. Squier Telecasters are normally great for the price, other than that, probably best off saving up for something better.

As for the amp, not sure about that one, but the Roland Cube series is definetely a good 'un, you could probably get a Cube 15 in that price range.