Hey everyone. Thanks for all your help on my previous post by the way.

Well, my younger brother isn't serious about playing guitar, so I'm proceeding to look for a guitar for myself.

While my brother's definitely a Gibson guy , I've always been a Fender fan

As you may have guessed, my favorite is the Fender Stratocaster.

I've checked Craigslist, and it looks like you can get one (not vintage) for maybe $300 or so used.

Wikipedia has a pretty good page on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Stratocaster

What should I be looking for in a Strat? What should I avoid? How can I tell?

I'll probably be buying one used, so I'd like to have some knowledge before I buy.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thank you!
ebay would be your best bet i got a 01 strat for 225 shipped
ok like my title said, you should never buy a guitar online. The only time u should buy a guitar is if uve gone into the store and played it. Also, with stratocasters make sure to get the HSS configuration of pickups because it takes all the buzz away on the distortion channel. I'm looking at a fender american deluxe stratocaster HSS for christmas. Its this guitar: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0101500764 and its about $1,250 but im a serious guitar player (at 14 haha) and its worth it to my parents. anyway, good luck on finding the guitar for you!
well
with mim strats, its more a hit and miss type deal, but i myself have never played one that you would consider bad, but there are some that are worth more than you pay.
If your buying Mim, i strongly suggest going to a guitar store and trying a bunch out.
If you have the cash for an american, you can order online if you want, but with any guitar, its better to try first, you'll find "the one".
If you're looking to buy a used american, defintely check ebay, as long as theres a policy were you can get your money back if the neck is warped or something.
with mims, they can have great body wood and necks.
the hardware is sub par quality.
there pickups are also sub par.
If you wanna turn say a used mim strat you got for $150 into a kick @$$ guitar, you'd swap out the hardware and pickups.
You can sometimes find MiMs that have necks just as good as americans, so there would be no need to swap the neck out.
some of the best stratocaster for the money would be there guitars from $600-$800
series such as the classic players, the roadhouse.powerhouse, FSR models, and ect. are always great guitars.
hope that helped
Quote by Jesse1Gtr
ok like my title said, you should never buy a guitar online. The only time u should buy a guitar is if uve gone into the store and played it. Also, with stratocasters make sure to get the HSS configuration of pickups because it takes all the buzz away on the distortion channel. I'm looking at a fender american deluxe stratocaster HSS for christmas. Its this guitar: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0101500764 and its about $1,250 but im a serious guitar player (at 14 haha) and its worth it to my parents. anyway, good luck on finding the guitar for you!

your title isnt really true...you can find some great deals on ebay, and as long as you can get your money back, theres really no reason not to.
and dont"be sure to get hss", most people prefer sss anyway, and whether you get hss or sss is all preference.