Can't decide which one of the two. I have an Epi Les Paul Custom Black Beauty that I play through a Marshall tsl 60. Anybody know the major differences between the two pickups

Seymour Duncan Sh-4 JB or Seymour Duncan Sh-5 Custom?

Thanks!
what kind of music are you playing? can you give a couple genres and different artists who's tone you admire?
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
JB SH-4's sound like sex.

I know nothing about th SH-5's though...who play's em?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by bryan202
Mostly Drop D Switchfoot type. Some FooFighters, as well..

In that case, neither. I'd rather look at the SH-1 (also known as the '59). The JB is a popular choice for LPs, but personally I find it too trebly for guitars with maple caps. Besides, you won't need it's high output for the music you are playing.
The SH-5 is best for distorted stuff, the sound is pretty much balls to the wall. I think it's downright inferior to an SH-1 for the music you're playing, just like the JB.

See if you can try the SH-1, it's often used as a stock pickup so that should be no problem. The DiMarzio PAF Pro is worth a look, too.

Quote by mcraddict81592

I know nothing about th SH-5's though...who play's em?

A friend of mine has it in her LP. One of my favourite Duncans so far, got a pretty agressive sound. It can do classic rock if it must, but it's best for modern rock and metal. The cleans are not so good.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 14, 2008,