Basically I need to know how to achieve a "wall of sound", particularly like in Sigur Ros- Svefn-g-englar and This Will Destroy You- A Three Legged Workhorse. I'm guessing it's delay and reverb, as is most post-rock guitar, but I need some recommendations as when I tried a Holy Grail the other day it didn't seem thick enough. Any help?
Record about 134809735436890 guitar tracks and pan one hard left, one hard right, one semileft, one semiright, then maybe one in the center. Do whatever with the rest. Verb is ok for some people, I just can't stand it myself.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Well i know the guy from Sigur Ros uses a bow instead of a pick so that could play a part in it.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Yeah it is a bow, but I still can't get it to sound that thick. He pulls it off live as well, so I'm don't think it's all layering.
I can get close to that sound, but obviously not as good
I use 3 delay pedals in a row, so each delay delays the delays of the last delay, if that makes sense. So it all builds up. And a ****load of reverb.
Quote by time_for_food
I can get close to that sound, but obviously not as good
I use 3 delay pedals in a row, so each delay delays the delays of the last delay, if that makes sense. So it all builds up. And a ****load of reverb.

yeah, you want at least two delays, so one delays the delay of the other, madness! also, i find that using an octave pedal adds some weight to ambient pads like TWDY.

have you checked out an ebow? with all of that gear it'd be a SOLID wall of sound. i started to pull together a post-rock rig and realized i need to start saving some money for school
Get 9 speaker cabinets and line them all up, and you should have a wall of sound
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
The trick for the "wall of sound" you're describing is actually putting a pretty big reverb in front of your distortion/fuzz, like MBV. Make sure you aren't using too a box with a mid-hump because, as I describe in the linked thread above, reverb + mid humped distortion = big mess. and not in a nice way.

I would recommend you read that thread if you're interested in this sort of music.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
DS1 at a lower gain setting over the amp's distortion should help - and a semi-hollow guitar helps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The only true wall of sound i heard from just amps was my Orange with my friends Fender Deluxe - THEN BOTH connected into the T.C Electronics Spatial Expander.

I have never heard anything like it, before or since. Quite incredible!

I was offered one for £300 (RRP £1200) and just didnt have the money then. BOOHOO!