I've been getting ideas for pedals over the week, and I've seen a few in stores and on the net that I've been debating about. Two of the more interesting ones that I have seen are the Jekyll & Hyde (which I understand is an overdrive, and distortion).

Then I have seen a Route 66 pedal which says it is an overdrive and compression...I'm not too sure what a compression pedal is for to be honest though. I have also noticed that these are somewhat expensive pedals (for me at least), and was wondering if they are worth it or not...it does seem like there are two effects in each pedal though.

Thanks for any info.
Gear-
MIM Strat Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Champion 600 amp
Seagull Coastline S6 GT
Compression just makes everything you play sound like it's at the same volume. It makes the quiet sounds louder and the loud sounds quieter. If you set the compression low it will be subtle, if you set it high it will add tons of sustain and not be subtle in the least.

Visual sounds pedals are fairly inexpensive, you just happen to own some of the cheaper pedals around. If you think VS pedals are expensive check out catlin bread or xotic pedals, now that's expensive.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Compressor pedals are only really worth it if you're gonna be recording or gigging regularly. In that case they are essential, they keep all your sounds an equal lever and cut through the mix well
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by charlie__flynn
Compressor pedals are only really worth it if you're gonna be recording or gigging regularly.

It depends on your playing style; for country it's pretty much essential... Pretty handy for tight funk playing... Or Phish covers.

I do enjoy compression a lot; but you've gotta be careful not to overdo it. Some people get rid of all the dynamic range of the instrument and it just sounds dull.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
how is the Jekyll & Hyde pedal?, or would I be better going with simply an overdrive only pedal?
Gear-
MIM Strat Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Champion 600 amp
Seagull Coastline S6 GT
Quote by Kevin Saale
Compression just makes everything you play sound like it's at the same volume. It makes the quiet sounds louder and the loud sounds quieter. If you set the compression low it will be subtle, if you set it high it will add tons of sustain and not be subtle in the least.

Visual sounds pedals are fairly inexpensive, you just happen to own some of the cheaper pedals around. If you think VS pedals are expensive check out catlin bread or xotic pedals, now that's expensive.

Compressors do not boost the low volume notes at all. That can just seem a comparative effect when the volume gap is reduced.

If a note exceeds a certain volume, it becomes subject to compression. If you set the ratio at say 3:1, any volumes above this threshold will only be a third as high above the threshold compared to without a compressor.

If you set a compressor well, you should not be able to notice it's on. However, a well set up compressor will do wonders for your tone. A badly setup compressor will just mutilate your tone and dynamics though.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1