This is the second question i;ve posted about this amp, so bare with me...

Amp is the 40watt version. Played with an American Strat.

I was playing with it today with cleans around 6-9(out of 12) and it sounded fine (except for breaking up a little earlier than i recall it doing, in my so far limited experience with the amp... maybe also slightly quieter at the given value). Every once and a while, it would make a make a static pop, similar to a cord being pulled out but not quite as loud as if that actually happened. The guitar would drop out for a quarter second when it made the noise then come back over the course of a second. I jigged the cord at both ends to make sure it wasnt a jack or the chord and it seemed fine. Perhaps theres a problem somewhere inside the cord? Its not a new one, but not particularly old either; hasnt seen a whole lot use. I heard it mostly i think when doing bends on the 3rd or 4th string. Coincidentally, i couldnt seem to get either of those strings to stay within a half step of tune... (strings only 3montsh old, still shiny). My thought is that the tubes are possibly getting ready to go? They are the originals it looks like (bought the amp used... which is why i am concerned). The cuts were not bad enough that if i were performing id go nuts, i might not have even noticed them, but im worried that its a precourser to something bad...

Another thing... i was curious about how to actually take the tubes in and out a couple days ago. The one preamp and power tube i played with both extremely tight. I wonder if i could have hurt something dicking around with it? I also touched it with my bare hands which i probably shouldnt have. I did get both of them out, but i was pretty worried while i was doing it.

Thanks for the help
Ok, strings going out of tune is probably because they're old, doesn't have anything to do with the amp.

Second, sounds like your power tubes are going out, I'd replace them ASAP since modern tubes are pretty much junk and when they die they can die spectacularly and possible harm the amp. Not saying they will, but since the ones in there are probably shot there's no reason to risk it

The tubes are bit hard to pull out, but just pull straight down and wiggle them just a bit. Touching them with your bare hands is fine, just make sure they're cool before you do. If you don't have time then an oven mitt or a rag is enough to protect your hands.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
they don't have that old string sound though. I know well enough what that is. I'll probably replace them anyway though.

Would excessive static in OD/2 also be synonymous with the tubes be getting ready to go?

yeah, when i was messing with the tubes, pulling them out, they were cool, wasnt about to put my hands anywhere near the inside of that amp after just running it...
new strings are always good. Never heard of an 'old string sound' - i guess i'll check it out.

Yes, static can usually represent microphonic tubes if you've eliminated all the basic stuff.

You can always push on the glass of the tube with the eraser side of a pencil while the amp is on. Won't hurt ya. Otherwise, you can look up tutorials on this.

What Kevin said is correct. Good luck.
What do you define as excessive? When I had an HRD the more drive channel was always pretty noisy.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
a little more than im used to with the marshal vs.

by old string sound i mean you can tune them, but they're never quite in tune. They'll sound fine either at 5th fret or on a tuner, but when you play, it all seems off. usually you have to wait till you can visibly see thin spots or they're well tarnished...

Thanks for the help Kevin and 3-h.
Right, so i've got the new tubes in. JJ 6l6GC's.... the thing still sounds like crap, distorting at almost no volume on the guitar and 3/12 on the dial. Reading on the "unofficial fender HRD" website it might appear that the screen plate resitors are bad? Im ok with soldering so may go ahead to try and address that problem, but i havent checked them with a meter yet. What is bothering me is that he states that there will be a noticeable drop in volume if those things are bad; mine is slightly quieter, but its distorting more than its quieter.

What i also dont get is when i went to bias it, i couldnt get a reading that made sense. No matter where i turned the dial it stayed at 0.84v or above. Even when one of the tubes (the on the right, facing the back of the amp) started to glow and make some uncomfortable noises... That happened when i turned the dial all the way counter clockwise, which i thought should make it cooler? When i was messing with the bias earlier though, it seemed to work normally and i set it to about 0.62v, where it was still distorting way easy.

The right hand tube was the only one to get noticeably warm at all, the left tube was only slight above cool to the touch.

It is distorting so much i cant even pick out what chord im playing...

The tubes are marked with a bias point of 14.

Im going down to samash now to try out one of the floor amps and compare what happens, i wont be taking mine with me though,.
Quote by Dan_M_G
Right, so i've got the new tubes in. JJ 6l6GC's.... the thing still sounds like crap, distorting at almost no volume on the guitar and 3/12 on the dial. Reading on the "unofficial fender HRD" website it might appear that the screen plate resitors are bad? Im ok with soldering so may go ahead to try and address that problem, but i havent checked them with a meter yet. What is bothering me is that he states that there will be a noticeable drop in volume if those things are bad; mine is slightly quieter, but its distorting more than its quieter.

What i also dont get is when i went to bias it, i couldnt get a reading that made sense. No matter where i turned the dial it stayed at 0.84v or above. Even when one of the tubes (the on the right, facing the back of the amp) started to glow and make some uncomfortable noises... That happened when i turned the dial all the way counter clockwise, which i thought should make it cooler? When i was messing with the bias earlier though, it seemed to work normally and i set it to about 0.62v, where it was still distorting way easy.

The right hand tube was the only one to get noticeably warm at all, the left tube was only slight above cool to the touch.

It is distorting so much i cant even pick out what chord im playing...

The tubes are marked with a bias point of 14.

Im going down to samash now to try out one of the floor amps and compare what happens, i wont be taking mine with me though,.

i had similar problems. it turned out just about everything inside the amp that could burn up or melt, burnt up and melted. i got it "fixed" under warranty, but it has never been quite the same amp. (the amp has been nothing but problems for me in the last year.)
what im doing to eliminate the problem is shopping for a new, better amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
3 months?!? Man thats really old. Change those strings out quick. I can hear the difference in day old strings and 3 day old strings.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Same thing happened to mine. Also, shortly after this, my channel 2 started to not work. I ended up getting a new amp, but not because of the problem. I got the Fender fixed for like 50 bucks. It's not a tube problem.

Also, yes, the tubes are very tight. I haven't figured out how to remove the preamp tubes, but the power amp tubes can be removed slightly easier if you sort of hold apart the little retainers while you take it out.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build