so i finally got off my lazy ass and bought the Monster Cable studio pro 1000 and instrument cables. i really don't see how anyone is saying monster cables sounds exactly the same as other brand like live wire and other no brands. the improvement was so immense. biggest difference was the wobbling bass and dynamic of the tone. its so much more clearer and overall better than my old 20 bucks live wire solution. i don't see how i can go back using these 10 bucks cables after getting used to this
Last edited by kckyle at Dec 14, 2008,
greatest thing for me has been that mine hasn't broken yet... my live wire cables used to break at the solders every few weeks, but lifetime guarentee meant a trip to GC.. monster is amazing
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
You can't compare a 100 dollar cable to a 10 dollar cable. Not to mention most people are probably referring to the monster rock cables which are overpriced for what they are.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by kckyle
the improvement was so immense. biggest difference was the wobbling bass and dynamic of the tone. its so much more clearer and overall better than my old 20 bucks live wire solution. i don't see how i can go back using these 10 bucks cables after getting used to this

Are you a complete moron?
Read this
How about this?
You must be an idiot if you think your monster cables helped your tone. The length of cable you use makes significantly more difference than the brand of cable you use. Really, the tolerances in your amp equipment probably have tolerances higher than the difference in signal transmission between monster and cheapo cables.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
i just took a side by side photo. you can tell the sp1000 can perform better just by looking at it. honestly i'm all mogami and monster from now on.
Quote by kckyle
i just took a side by side photo. you can tell the sp1000 can perform better just by looking at it. honestly i'm all mogami and monster from now on.

uhh... heh
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Kevin Saale
You can't compare a 100 dollar cable to a 10 dollar cable. Not to mention most people are probably referring to the monster rock cables which are overpriced for what they are.

well i got it for 20 bucks at guitar center today. so.....i dont see how that's overpriced.
How long is it? On the site a 1.5 footer is 40 bucks..
Quote by evilbeaver22
Are you a complete moron?
Read this
How about this?
You must be an idiot if you think your monster cables helped your tone. The length of cable you use makes significantly more difference than the brand of cable you use. Really, the tolerances in your amp equipment probably have tolerances higher than the difference in signal transmission between monster and cheapo cables.

first off. don't assume someone's an idiot just by your disagreement with their first impression on you, for all you know you might be the idiot after a simple IQ comparison. 2ndly. the live wire cable and the monster cable were both 3 feet. and the tone was sufficiently better after i swap the live wire with the monster. now im not some monster fan boy who bang on about how great monster cable is all day. i only post this to convince people that more expensive cable are worth it sometimes. and i can't believe im being mature about this instead of cursing you out. anywho good day to you sir.

Quote by Kevin Saale
How long is it? On the site a 1.5 footer is 40 bucks..

its 3 feet. they gave me one of these 15 dollar gift card since i dropped 700 dollars on them during black Friday when i was getting the pod x3 live(plus a mic and other stuff). come to think of it i should have gone to musician's friend since they'll give me 150 dollars back instead of the 75 dollars+15 dollar i got from guitar center.
Yeah, in all fairness that article is referring to the speaker cables, which no one can deny is a rip off since you can use literally anything that has a low enough resistance (IE thick wire) and can support the voltage of the amplifier and it will sound fine.

Kyle: So how much did it actually cost? On the site a 3 footer is 50 dollars.
Quote by kckyle
first off. don't assume someone's an idiot just by your disagreement with their first impression on you, for all you know you might be the idiot after a simple IQ comparison. 2ndly. the live wire cable and the monster cable were both 3 feet. and the tone was sufficiently better after i swap the live wire with the monster. now im not some monster fan boy who bang on about how great monster cable is all day. i only post this to convince people that more expensive cable are worth it sometimes. and i can't believe im being mature about this instead of cursing you out. anywho good day to you sir.

Did you compare a new monster cable to a NEW cheap cable. Sound is just electric signals, and both a cheap cable or expensive cable let trough exactly the same amount of current.

Only the length matters, cause some current will loose it's power because of the distance travelled.

The tone isn't better cause it doesn't make sense. Sound and tone is not magic it's just electric signal which translates to air moved.

Maybe you played both tru a tube amp? Tube amps do have slight sound changes if the tubes aren't "Warmed up" yet.

If you tested both the cables, then other people probably have as well. This means that the cable could be worn or the wires to the jacks be corrupted.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Did you compare a new monster cable to a NEW cheap cable. Sound is just electric signals, and both a cheap cable or expensive cable let trough exactly the same amount of current.

Only the length matters, cause some current will loose it's power because of the distance travelled.

The tone isn't better cause it doesn't make sense. Sound and tone is not magic it's just electric signal which translates to air moved.

Maybe you played both tru a tube amp? Tube amps do have slight sound changes if the tubes aren't "Warmed up" yet.

If you tested both the cables, then other people probably have as well. This means that the cable could be worn or the wires to the jacks be corrupted.

well they both are 3 feet long.

yes i tested it though my hk switchblade and dual rectifier and i given both the proper warm up time before side by side comparison

you do make a point there. tone difference doesn't mean tone improvements. but i like what I'm hearing from the monster cable more than what i'm getting from the live wire

as for other peoples. you lost me there. i bought the live wire ones about 2 month ago and i doubt they are going to age that quick. and the monster was brand new packed when i bought it.
Why do people try to convince you that you're wrong when you say something (like a cable) is good?

Has the world REALLY suffered THAT much?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by xxdarrenxx

This is not strictly true; we are dealing with LCR filter circuits here. The high impedance of guitar signals (passive pickups at least) makes the filters very sensitive to change in capacitance (and to a lesser extent inductance) of the cable. If we were dealing with a DC signal from the guitar we'd be OK and nothing would really matter. But as we're dealing with AC signals things get more complex... Ignore the pun.

If you still don't believe me I challenge somebody to take one of those cheapo coiled cables from radioshack and compare it to a quality klotz/mogami/george ls/whatever cable. If you cannot hear the difference you have serious problems... Whether you think one is better than the other is irrelevent; Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton got decent sounds with the former, almost everybody else you can imagine with the latter.

EDIT: Infact... I challenge somebody to record 2 identical clips one with the coil one with the expensive cable. The recording will speak for itself.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Monster cables are better than your run of the mill cheap ten dollar cables. There's really no argument there. If you think cables don't affect your sound, I really have to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's just whether they're worth the money is the issue. imo, not really, but they are nice and sturdy and don't get tangled easy. I don't regret my purchase of a few monster cables. Live performances, really doesn't matter, I'll take them along because they're sturdy, but sometimes I need a longer cheap cable and it really doesn't matter.

In the studio, or while recording, definitely a difference. Not a huge deal, but it's certainly a clearer sound.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by kckyle

Huh....

This amp sucks. You can tell by looking at it.

Your logic sucks.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Shinozoku
Why do people try to convince you that you're wrong when you say something (like a cable) is good?

Has the world REALLY suffered THAT much?

it must be the economy. i never was a fan of monster before but numerous cables breaking down on me i just want something that's more dependable. plus i think i broke couple laws since i got it for so cheap.
Quote by kckyle

its 3 feet. they gave me one of these 15 dollar gift card since i dropped 700 dollars on them during black Friday when i was getting the pod x3 live(plus a mic and other stuff). come to think of it i should have gone to musician's friend since they'll give me 150 dollars back instead of the 75 dollars+15 dollar i got from guitar center.

Hey, if you're happy with the cables, more power too you. All of the comparisons I've done, and all the comparisons I've read reach the conclusion that monster cables are just overpriced cables, there's no magic to making a cable, either the solders, jacks, and wire are good quality, or they aren't. I can see no feasible reason that monster cables should sound better than any others, and I can hear no difference either. Basically, what I'm getting at is that I think you are entirely wrong, and that you've bought into the hype to justify the money you spent on cables. Yes, in my original post, I was being a dick, but that was only because I think your opinions are false and entirely ungrounded. I don't think monster cables will improve my tone, or the tone of anyone else, but if you don't share my opinion then that is your prerogative.
/my IQ is a 152, what's yours?
//end text wall.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by sesstreets
Huh....

Your logic sucks.

no. your synonyms suck.

you can't compare the look of the amp to how cable performs since they are both build on different principles. IE sports cars, the more aerodynamic the structure is. the faster it can cut the air resistance.
Quote by sesstreets
Huh....

Your logic sucks.

Looks pretty solid if you ask me. I will say it doesn't look as nice as say Genz Benz ElDiablo, not many amps do...

I'm not a monster guy. I don't care too much for their products, nor their business practices. They have sued what, about 15-20 companies who use the name Monster. In ab comparisons I find that planet waves offers a much better cable. Sounds better, doesn't screw up your guitar's input jack, and is well worth the price.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by kckyle
no. your synonyms suck.

you can't compare the look of the amp to how cable performs since they are both build on different principles. IE sports cars, the more aerodynamic the structure is. the faster it can cut the air resistance.

So you can tell the cross sectional area and drag coefficients of cars by looking at them? Wow, you must be some sort of demi god.
Quote by GeneralGrim
Quote by evilbeaver22
Hey, if you're happy with the cables, more power too you. All of the comparisons I've done, and all the comparisons I've read reach the conclusion that monster cables are just overpriced cables, there's no magic to making a cable, either the solders, jacks, and wire are good quality, or they aren't. I can see no feasible reason that monster cables should sound better than any others, and I can hear no difference either. Basically, what I'm getting at is that I think you are entirely wrong, and that you've bought into the hype to justify the money you spent on cables. Yes, in my original post, I was being a dick, but that was only because I think your opinions are false and entirely ungrounded. I don't think monster cables will improve my tone, or the tone of anyone else, but if you don't share my opinion then that is your prerogative.
/my IQ is a 152, what's yours?
//end text wall.

OK fair ill believe you have a IQ of a genius since mine is only 137. all the more to believe why a genius like you would be on the internet arguing with people who are less intelligent than you. as for my source of opinion, why my ear of course. since its part of me i take trust more than anything else.
Quote by evilbeaver22
So you can tell the cross sectional area and drag coefficients of cars by looking at them? Wow, you must be some sort of demi god.

no i can tell from the air flow schematics and the how well the chassis handles in a wind tunnel. you should watch top gear. its quite educational you actually might learn something useful. oh wait forgot your boy genius who knows everything. sorry my bad

and honestly. can you be anymore of a dick? my intention here wasn't to argue to the point of getting banned. just so you know
Quote by kckyle
OK fair ill believe you have a IQ of a genius since mine is only 137. all the more to believe why a genius like you would be on the internet arguing with people who are less intelligent than you. as for my source of opinion, why my ear of course. since its part of me i take trust more than anything else.

And people also believe that expensive power supplies for their amps can make a difference. Yes, their amps. It's all in the placebo syndrome. They expect it to sound better, and maybe play a little more vigorously because of that. As such, they sound better.

If you read one of the links above, it would show that a group of audiophiles couldn't tell the difference between a monster cable and a coat hanger.

Hell, some of their patch cables give you a direction to plug them in (one end from guitar, one to amp). How in hell is the direction of a wire going to make a difference with an alternating current?

Some like them for reliability and the lifetime warranty. Too bad planet waves is the same deal at half the price.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
And people also believe that expensive power supplies for their amps can make a difference. Yes, their amps. It's all in the placebo syndrome. They expect it to sound better, and maybe play a little more vigorously because of that. As such, they sound better.

If you read one of the links above, it would show that a group of audiophiles couldn't tell the difference between a monster cable and a coat hanger.

Hell, some of their patch cables give you a direction to plug them in (one end from guitar, one to amp). How in hell is the direction of a wire going to make a difference with an alternating current?

Some like them for reliability and the lifetime warranty. Too bad planet waves is the same deal at half the price.

true. but i got mine for 20 bucks. which to be honest is the same price as the planet wave one i believe. so all in all i got a planet wave cable with a different logo.
Quote by kckyle
true. but i got mine for 20 bucks. which to be honest is the same price as the planet wave one i believe. so all in all i got a planet wave cable with a different logo.

*checks exchange rate in head*

Actually, that's not too bad. If you pay for the $60 or so ones, you waste your money. However, any cable with solid jack connections and a warranty is all you really need.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
*checks exchange rate in head*

Actually, that's not too bad. If you pay for the $60 or so ones, you waste your money. However, any cable with solid jack connections and a warranty is all you really need.

oh yeah of course. i wouldn't have the nerve to buy one of these 60 dollar ones. the thoughts of losing them on the go just make me shutters. as for the old hanger...well does that come with a warranty?
i cant belive some of you people. i mean evilbeaver22 you seem to be acting like an ass just for the sake of acting like an ass.

honestly, quality cables will make a difference. powerfreak basicly said it already, but the physics of the cables are important. the inductance, capacitance and resistance of a low quality cable will kill your signal. it will pass through stuff in the midrange, but will attenuate stuff in the high and low end. where the freqency that gets through best is and how much at each end gets cut depends on the quality of the cable. thats why cheap cables seem to cut out the high end. it doesnt matter if you can hear it, it is a flat out fact. cables that are lower quality (whether it be the wire, the jacks, or the solder) actually do not translate the signal as well.
Quote by gm jack

actually, that does make sense. more so if you are going between the amp to the guitar than between pedals like a patch cable, but it actually does make some sense. if you match the impedance at each end of the cable that will translate to more power transfer, which means more of the current is getting through. since a guitar usually has an output impedance under 10k ohms and an amps input is on the order of 1M ohm, thats a pretty big mismatch. so having a cable that matches that a bit better may actually help the tone a bit. worth it in the long run? probably not since you cant really get a really good match anyway.
Quote by jof1029
i cant belive some of you people. i mean evilbeaver22 you seem to be acting like an ass just for the sake of acting like an ass.

honestly, quality cables will make a difference. powerfreak basicly said it already, but the physics of the cables are important. the inductance, capacitance and resistance of a low quality cable will kill your signal. it will pass through stuff in the midrange, but will attenuate stuff in the high and low end. where the freqency that gets through best is and how much at each end gets cut depends on the quality of the cable. thats why cheap cables seem to cut out the high end. it doesnt matter if you can hear it, it is a flat out fact. cables that are lower quality (whether it be the wire, the jacks, or the solder) actually do not translate the signal as well.

actually, that does make sense. more so if you are going between the amp to the guitar than between pedals like a patch cable, but it actually does make some sense. if you match the impedance at each end of the cable that will translate to more power transfer, which means more of the current is getting through. since a guitar usually has an output impedance under 10k ohms and an amps input is on the order of 1M ohm, thats a pretty big mismatch. so having a cable that matches that a bit better may actually help the tone a bit. worth it in the long run? probably not since you cant really get a really good match anyway.

+1 finally someone agrees with me.
This whole thread needs to die.

Monster cables may offer some increase the quality of your tone just for the sheer quality of their components.

But they are expensive.

Everyone shut up.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Monster cables may offer some increase the quality of your tone just for the sheer quality of their components.But they are expensive.

Yeah, good grief, that's the whole thing in a nutshell. There are cheap crappy cables, and there are top quality cables, and the latter have more capability than the former, and of course are more expensive. Monsters are very high quality, of course, but are simply overpriced.

FTR, I use Live Wire Elite cable from Guitar Center. It's as good as anything you can buy.
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
For ****sake. Why do n00bs bump old threads?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"