How expencive is it to make custom guitars and can it easily be done? I don't know many shops near me that sell parts. There is a website http://luthierssupplies.com.au/ that offers some stuff and I can probably find a body for a guitar I like somewhere. Is it hard to make bodies anyway? Could I just get a slab of mahogany and carve it or something?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
You need a fair bit of experience with woodwork, otherwise there's a fair chance it'll go wrong. You also need the right tools to be available.
Check out the Gear building and customizing section
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Another question:

Is it possible to put a floyd rose on a les paul?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
yes but you have to use a router
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Why not just buy a body from www.warmoth.com or a similar site? Seems easier to me. By the way, if you want to make a guitar on your own because you want to save money, it is NOT cheaper than buying a guitar unless you have a lot of wood working experience and the tools to do it.
I want to get a custom guitar that I like, if you could call it, my own signature model. Thanks for the link, didn't know about that site.

EDIT: What do I need in terms of painting it? Do I need a special paint or can I use model paint or something?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Dec 14, 2008,
STEW MAC sells plans for making guitars from scratch that would help make sure the final product is to scale! It would be a hell of a challenge though and not for beginners (or probably even fairly advanced wood workers). Why not settle for assemblying a guitar from store bought, ready made components first! YOu could still have some freedom on styles/finishes and hardware. When I checked Warmoth, Stew Mac and luthiers Mecr everythng was there but you won't save money just be getting one done the way you want.
Moving on.....
If you're careful, you can build a good custom guitar for pretty cheap. We're having a competition right now on the GB&C board to see who can build the best guitar for less than $150. (100 GBP)

A guitar really isn't that hard to build as long as you're careful about measurements, etc. But there are some tools that you need. (Clamps, bandsaw/jigsaw, etc)
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
I have been looking at maybe getting an Epiphone Les paul studio or maybe a G-400 and replacing it with seymour duncan humbuckers and a floyd rose trem. What do you think of that?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
I have been looking at maybe getting an Epiphone Les paul studio or maybe a G-400 and replacing it with seymour duncan humbuckers and a floyd rose trem. What do you think of that?

I think the Floyd Rose will be more hassle and danger to the guitar than it's worth, and the pickups are pointless if you don't have a good amp.

tl;dr: No.
Quote by webbtje
I think the Floyd Rose will be more hassle and danger to the guitar than it's worth, and the pickups are pointless if you don't have a good amp.

tl;dr: No.

Im getting a peavey vypyr 30 for christmas.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
still..the fr could screw ur body.
it kinda needs a real deep body, gotta route ALOT.
i dont recommend YOU do it.. send it to a luthier somewhere near you..
also...adding £150 for a floyd rose to a few hundred quid guitar..you could buy a guitar with an FR and better pickups..

call me insane, but not saving money..

false economy..

failing that..

buy an ibanez s470 and get a pillar drill and sand paper..
drill about 50 holes through the body..sand the holes to make them look rounded and then dip the guitar in acid..
voila

custom
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
try the building and customising forum.
but yeah im keen on starting my build real soon just getting info and money together first
lol
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
I don't consider a guitar built from parts a true custom to me that is assembling a kit you just pick the parts individually and toss them together. A real custom is when you scratchbuild it. You go out spend the day picking out just the right materials buy the wood, glue/clamp it all together cut it on a band saw lay out your templates and route it yourself and work the rest by hand and then finish it. It takes me a good year just to build two sometimes three guitars. Right now I am in the middle of two projects one 7 string for my Nephews bands guitarist and the other a 9 string for a local well known musician. They both have been on hold for the summer I think it's too humid to do fine woodworking during humid weather.

As far as routing a guitar for a Floyd sometimes you would be better off buying a guitar that already has one. Aside from routing you have to make sure everything is in line if your not experianced and have the right templates that can be a disaster. I recomend the Stetsbar trem system if you want a trem on your Gibby or Epi. They are a little pricey but as long as you save the old parts you can swap the Stetsbar to another Gibson or Epi because it fits the basic Gibson post/brige system.

http://stetsbar.com/

Go thru the Gear building and customizing section too there is some great stuff there and a lot of it can give you an idea on what is in store for you if you decide to build your own guitar from parts. I think it's better to buy a good guitar and upgrade/customize it rather that buy a body and neck and go from there.

John