right our band are about to release our first album and we dont know how many singles are surpossed to be released or even what is an EP????
and you're about to release it???

An EP generally has about 5-6 songs on it.
Are you signed??
An album is like 10 songs, sngles released may be anywhere from 1-5. An EP is generally 5 songs maybe 6. So if you are releasing your first album, how do you njot know this?
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
EP, LP and single come from the age of vinyl. Back then an artist would release standard LP's (long play format), every year or so. They would release singles (2 sides: an 'A' side and a 'B' side of one song each) to radio fairly frequently as well as occasional EP's (extended play) which would typically be 5 or 6 songs.
Nowadays, it's fairly different. Singles are just songs released to radio, and are usually included on (and are used to promote) LP's. However, this is obviously changing due to the popularity of Itunes and other downloading sites. EP's are usually released just to satisfy contractual obligations to a label.
Quote by paulg08
is an EP just like a small album of new material then??????

Yes, your best songs are on the EP.
ಠ_ಠ
An album is generaly more than ten songs that fit together as a whole, an EP (Extented Play) is usualy 4-7 songs that are maby B-Sides, covers, alternate versions, extended versions, or a few regular songs.
so,, if we released an album of 14 songs and then released 4 singles and then an EP with 5 new songs then go on tour?????
yeah.. but why are you bothering with singles? If you're putting them on iTunes or something, fair enough, but no-one's ever gonna buy an album, EP, and even one single. Just do an album of your best songs and do a tour, save the EP material for your next album.
Quote by koslack
EP, LP and single come from the age of vinyl. Back then an artist would release standard LP's (long play format), every year or so. They would release singles (2 sides: an 'A' side and a 'B' side of one song each) to radio fairly frequently as well as occasional EP's (extended play) which would typically be 5 or 6 songs.
Nowadays, it's fairly different. Singles are just songs released to radio, and are usually included on (and are used to promote) LP's. However, this is obviously changing due to the popularity of Itunes and other downloading sites. EP's are usually released just to satisfy contractual obligations to a label.

This is pretty much true. But in regards to the terminology....while coming from the LP days, it is still very much in vogue now. As for the use of EPs.....they can be used to fulfill contractual obligations, although greatest hits albums and outtake comps are done just as often for this reason.

EPs, now, are often an important part of an independent artist getting their name out there and on the map, and can often lead to label signings for album deals as a result. They can also be done when an album is taking too long to finish for whatever reason, so they are released to kind of "buy time" and keep the artist's profile out there. Additionally, labels may release the EP on their label after signing to start building buzz--it's prerecorded, all the costs have already been taken care of, and if it got the act notice, it can likely do well to get them noticed some more.

Quote by paulg08
so,, if we released an album of 14 songs and then released 4 singles and then an EP with 5 new songs then go on tour?????

Whoa whoa whoa....slow down. You release singles one at a time, and the success of the previous one determines if you put out another. Put the four planned singles out as your EP (hopefully these are your best songs), and then do everything you can to get it circulated and reviewed by people in your area (and beyond, if you get that lucky). This is a long involved process, too much to go into here....but long story short, don't just blast people with 20 songs in a short time and go on tour. Start small with the EP and build up.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're quite ready to put together a press kit and other materials and go on tour....unless you have a booking agency already behind you. I would suggest putting your EP of your best songs out, circulating it as much as you can, and playing in your area behind it at this point. That's all.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by JakdOnCrack
If you don't know this stuff, than you aren't ready.

+1 to this. Blunt, but 100% true.
is this a good idea then:
we record about 14 songs put them on myspace
then make an EP of about 5 of our best songs and sell them at gigs
go on tour

btw how do we get iTunes to sel our music?
I hate to sound mean, but are you even reading what we have posted?

Is this tour booked? Do you have support from a booking agency/manager? How many people show up at your gigs? How many profile views a day do you have on myspace? Do you have a band website (this is different from a myspace)? How many shows have you played? Have you gotten press written about you (hopefully positive)?

Basically....have you done all the steps to get to releasing a 14 song album on myspace, and actually have it be worthwhile and listened to? Because I, and I think others, don't think you are anywhere near being ready to do what you keep asking about doing, and your responses (besides, no offense, a lack of knowledge of what an EP is) don't show that at all.
we have a tour booked going around liverpool and manchester we have 1000 profile views on myspace(only subscribed 2 weeks ago) no band website. weve played about 20 shoows in pubs/clubs around liverpool. mentioned in liverpool echo twice no comments jus mentioned. we have no backing though
Quote by paulg08
how do we get iTunes to sel our music?

for now you can set up a music store on your myspace profile. if 1 of you guys have a credit card then the money will go to you when someone buys the song.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
I used iTunes as an example.. i didnt mean to get your heart set on it.

I suggest you play this tour you have booked, and see how many people dig what you are doing before you spend hundreds of pounds doing decent-enough recordings to sell (i'm making the assumption you dont have a home studio, correct me if i'm wrong). I'd put a maximum of 5 songs on your myspace so visitors know what you sound like, at most for now.

Making an EP will cost you money. You need to see where this capital you will invest in it will go, and how long will it be til you get it back.

Like I just said, do this tour, get fan response, then think about releasing material. Give out your myspace url on this tour.. it will give you gauge of how many people took notice when you check out your profile views.
When you say 'release' do you actually mean anything by that?

Because these days a lot of bands fall into the trap of trying to sound more important by imitating the terminology of the music business. A band may say on their website that they're 'releasing an EP' when what they're really doing is selling a few poor-quality demo discs.
If you're not signed and don't have any distribution deals, there's no need to start talking as if you are...just accept and enjoy the level you're really at!

(By the way, a liverpool man eh? If you're near Crosby on thursday, you'll have to come down to our jam night in the Ferndale Lodge - you can get up and give us a song or two if you want!)