Yesterday I went down to Emerald City Guitars in Seattle, WA, to try out a rockerverb 50, which has been my dream amp for a while now. Anyway, a large number of people say oranges are some of the quietest amps in terms of hiss/buzz etc, even with the gain full on. I was messing with the clean for a while and all was fine, but then cranked the gain on the dirty channel and it was more hiss than my old peavey 6505!

It was brand new, the shop just got it in, so what gives? The tubes couldnt possibly be microphonic, right? If there was enough noise to need a noise gate on an orange amp, that is a big deal breaker for me.

Thoughts? Those who own the amp, is it relativley quiet with the gain up?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I have the Rocker 30 and I've exerienced no such problems. Maybe it as the guitar/lead/power source/environment. All can add noise.
bartdevil has got it right. if there was a bad ground or something, you'll get all kinds of noise. cables in music stores that get yanked out of amp jacks and pulled on hard all the time probably aren't in the best shape either
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I cant imagine all that to add up to how much hs there was. anybody on here who owns the amp care to chime in?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
try to test it with your own guitar and cables. while most music stores use decent cables, they're not usually treated well by shoppers. also, check the outlet where it was plugged in; it may have been a shoddy outlet. the RV50s are suppose to be really amazing and pretty noise free.
Nothing with my RV100 - don't forget, those shops have dirty supplies usually.

That strip lighting and other devices on dont make for good surroundings
Quote by davedoom
Nothing with my RV100 - don't forget, those shops have dirty supplies usually.

That strip lighting and other devices on dont make for good surroundings

It could be, the OR50 and RV50 were in the same outlet, and likely more amps too.

So the rockerverbs are quiet then? Thats good to hear. Just curious, whats with the 140w mod?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
It could be, the OR50 and RV50 were in the same outlet, and likely more amps too.

So the rockerverbs are quiet then? Thats good to hear. Just curious, whats with the 140w mod?

the 140w isnt really the actual mod - but it is currently running KT88s, so pumping out around 138w (doesnt really make a difference, but i thought id just be a tool and put it there)

But it is modded - higher gain, slightly tighter, darker voicing but with a more ringing high end and smoother run-off.
What did the mod consist of?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
wowwowow holy ****.

I'm going to have to do that.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com