My starter guitar was an Ibanez GRX20 and after a while of it catching dust I now have the urge to mod the f' out of it.
I want a versatile pickup combination, it's routed H-H, sugestions?
Also, how do slanted pickups sound? What about a Humbucker for bridge and slanted single coil for neck?
I was going to change the tuners and the bridge but I don't know what will fit in place, pictures at bottom. I want locking tuners and a fixed bridge.
Also will change the knobs and add a second volume knob which will require a pickguard change, do you recommend vinyl?
At last a color change, I'll paint it white, what do I need?

Thanks in advance
Couldn't upload my pictures so I'm posting similars.

The tuner`s got a screw in one corner and the other one in the opposite corner

The bridge is hold by 6 screws
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Last edited by tsukoyomimoon at Dec 14, 2008,
Route for a middle single coil or single sized HB

you'll either need a belt sander OR blocks of wood, sandpaper, and a lot of time to get it ready for painting
check the sticky on refinishing
Hmm... Anti-Ibanez militia, eh?

Get splittable pickups, some sandpaper, and some spraypaint.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie

Get splittable pickups, some sandpaper, and some spraypaint.

hes proud to
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by deftonesordie

I knew someone was gonna say it.
It was my first guitar so it had an influence on me.
Also I haven't got the chance to try a good Ibanez guitar and I believe they are overrated.
Quote by The Spoon

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
you shouldnt need to get a new pickguard, unless you want a different color. i've read that slanted pickups have a "sharper" tone and they "cut" more, i'm not quite sure what that means. wherever you slant a pickup, just think of that part of the pickup having a different tone. a slanted pickup in the neck position will sound half neckish, half middleish, if you understand what i mean
Quote by amason51
Route for a middle single coil or single sized HB

you'll either need a belt sander OR blocks of wood, sandpaper, and a lot of time to get it ready for painting
check the sticky on refinishing

Not necessarily a "LOT" of time. You only need to rough up the finish to have it ready for solid color.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
I knew someone was gonna say it.
It was my first guitar so it had an influence on me.
Also I haven't got the chance to try a good Ibanez guitar and I believe they are overrated.

Maybe you should try some, then.

On one hand, if you like Wizard necks and the Edge III trem (which IMHO is an excellent trem), they're fantastic guitars for the money. The necks are very well built with a great attention to detail, and the overall manufacturing is superb for the quantity they have to make. I personally don't care for the feel of the Wizard necks, I prefer .820"-.860" thick.

On the other hand, their stock pickups leave much to be desired. But they're very good guitars, all-in-all, much better than many competitors' guitars at certain price levels.

By the way, I sell the model you want to mod all the time at my store. I usually recommend them over the Squier Affinity strats, which I also think are good. The electronics in the Ibanez Gios just seem to break down less often.

But back to the topic on hand.

New tuners would help a great deal. You can pretty much put anything you want in, I like the Planet Waves Auto-Trim locking tuners, but they're pretty expensive. I don't really know why you'd want a slanted neck single coil, but if you don't want a humbucker that'd be the way to do it. I'm a big fan of Seymour Duncan pickups, but again they're expensive. You might also try Barekunckle pickups, which come highly recommended by many of the regulars here, but I have no personal experience with them.

As for the bridge, measure from outside screw to outside screw and see which GFS bridge at guitarfetish.com will fit. It's the best $@#! tremolo for $35 I've ever seen.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
Maybe you should try some, then.

On one hand, if you like Wizard necks and the Edge III trem (which IMHO is an excellent trem), they're fantastic guitars for the money. The necks are very well built with a great attention to detail, and the overall manufacturing is superb for the quantity they have to make. I personally don't care for the feel of the Wizard necks, I prefer .820"-.860" thick.

On the other hand, their stock pickups leave much to be desired. But they're very good guitars, all-in-all, much better than many competitors' guitars at certain price levels.

By the way, I sell the model you want to mod all the time at my store. I usually recommend them over the Squier Affinity strats, which I also think are good. The electronics in the Ibanez Gios just seem to break down less often.

But back to the topic on hand.

New tuners would help a great deal. You can pretty much put anything you want in, I like the Planet Waves Auto-Trim locking tuners, but they're pretty expensive. I don't really know why you'd want a slanted neck single coil, but if you don't want a humbucker that'd be the way to do it. I'm a big fan of Seymour Duncan pickups, but again they're expensive. You might also try Barekunckle pickups, which come highly recommended by many of the regulars here, but I have no personal experience with them.

As for the bridge, measure from outside screw to outside screw and see which GFS bridge at guitarfetish.com will fit. It's the best $@#! tremolo for $35 I've ever seen.

That's what they allways tell me about Ibanez. I have tried RG's, S's, RG Prestiges and some signature models like the JS1000 and the oh-so famous JEM and have not liked neither the tone or it's feel but I do like the Wizard neck and Dimarzio's on their high end models, other than that and, they don't go with me at all.
Also, I was thinking Dimarzios, since they are more available where I live and sound good on my opinion.
Quote by The Spoon

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.