I wanted to ask, why do people mic amps? Don't most amps have a line out, or couldn't you just get something that has double output? I dunno, it just seems like a bad idea to me, even with a condenser mic...
For one thing some people like the sound of the cab...ashdown and ampeg both derive a large part of their tone from the cabs. Other than that, though, I dunno. I usually use the DI on my head.
Nope, no sig here.
Does the mic go to a second amp, so you can use more than one, or does it go to the head?
The mic goes to the house PA system.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Not all amps have a DI. I've owned several amps with no DI. Mic'ing the amp works well otherwise. Direct boxes are another option.
Quote by samskii
The mic goes to the house PA system.

Ooooooooh. Everything makes sense now. I thought it was something for when you were only using your own rig, and it just seemed like epic fail... Thanks for clearing that up.
Quote by izhar
Not all amps have a DI. I've owned several amps with no DI. Mic'ing the amp works well otherwise. Direct boxes are another option.

I think direct boxes seems like a better idea, but that's just my opinion.
Some people like the sound of their amps, maybe they don't have a DI box or DI out on their amp. Personally, in a recording situation, i've found it easier to get a more workable tone from the DI than actually micing up the cabs.
mixing the DI and mic'd cab can give you a lot of tonal possiblities too
Quote by herby190
I think direct boxes seems like a better idea, but that's just my opinion.

Not if you want the tone of the amp and the cabinet. Then direct boxes fail epic. You could put the DI box in the effects loop but then you wouldn't get the tone of the cab and nothing sounds quite like 10" speakers.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by herby190
I wanted to ask, why do people mic amps? Don't most amps have a line out, or couldn't you just get something that has double output? I dunno, it just seems like a bad idea to me, even with a condenser mic...

Wouldn't it be a better idea to mic a bass amp with a dynamic mic?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Depends on the application I guess.

Live, certainly dynamic. Studio, you might want to mic it long rang with a condensor on the other side of the room.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Depends on the application I guess.

Live, certainly dynamic. Studio, you might want to mic it long rang with a condensor on the other side of the room.

But the best scenario would be to place it directly on axis, about six inches away with a ribbon mic, right?

...Just kidding. But thanks.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
I only ever use Direct Out or Mic because DI boxes leave your tone at the mercy of the sound guy, seeing as the signal from your bass is just going into the box and then into seperate out to the PA and amp. Because of this, what you do to the amp has no affect on the house sound.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Bass has always been difficult to Mic up and today with multi size speaker setups IE 15, 12s 10s and Horns/Tweeters kit is even more trouble.
Where would you put a mic on a 15 + 10 + Horn you'd need three.
Most decent amps have DI facilities to put your signal into a full range setup which is what many of todays riges are
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I only ever use Direct Out or Mic because DI boxes leave your tone at the mercy of the sound guy, seeing as the signal from your bass is just going into the box and then into seperate out to the PA and amp. Because of this, what you do to the amp has no affect on the house sound.

Depends if you have post or pre EQ as on my Ashdown Pre-amp.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
It's all about MIXING.

If we get the tone through line-out we get only one sound. So you will have to change features of that single tone and it won't be a good thing.
But if we set the appropriate mics in different places in the room/near the cab you can get many tones and combine them to get that crunchy sound you want.
Quote by YA89
It's all about MIXING.

If we get the tone through line-out we get only one sound.

Which is what you get regardless of how many mics you use, this is always assuming that your preamp is up to the job, mine is an Ashdown RPM. I prefer to use a 15" and a 2x10 + Horn on stage, the sound from them is shaped in the preamp where I DI from, I have last call on the EQ settings which very often leaves the desk set pretty much flat.

Bass DI or direct into the desk is more common that micing up, if the studio monitors are half decent you'll get the sound that you want without inflections and spillage.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
To mic up your amp properly you need too understand the techniques. If you don't you'll get lost.....Alot of bassist i know are clueless on even DI'ing, which leaves their tone crap due too it being left too the sound guy. I own a GEB-7 EQ pedal, this is first in my line after my bass.....And EVERY, I MEAN EVERY sound guy i have met has left my tone flat, even when using backline amps....I tell them i have my own EQ, during sound check they realise my tone is my own and is right, they just do my levels....If i am missing any frequencies or i'm not cutting through they boost me......

Basically...Understand your gear, even using mic's. If you do the sound guy won't think you some plum trying too play bass......Which means your tone is your own, no matter what!
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->