Hey UG,

I have an old Peavey Backstage 30 amp (something like that, its in the attic now), with a no label speaker.

But in the meantime i wanna turn it into a 1x12 for my TT until i get my 4x12 Avatar Cab.

How would i go about doing this? aka what do i need, and how do i wire one speaker for 16 or 8 ohms?
Last edited by AJS19 at Dec 14, 2008,
Put the speaker in a box. You can only wire one single speaker for what it is rated. IE, 8 ohm speaker is 8 ohms. You need more than one to wire in series or parallel.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
it is in a box what if i dont know what ohm it is, or how many watts?
what do i need then? just speaker wire and a stereo jack?
Mono jack for non-active guitar electronics.

It will tell the ohm rating, and probably the wattage on the back of the speaker itself. Or it should, I think.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Can't you just disconnect the speaker. (the two black/red prongs) and then make a simple jack box that turns the two prong wires into a jack out to the cab?
Quote by ML_Guitar09
Can't you just disconnect the speaker. (the two black/red prongs) and then make a simple jack box that turns the two prong wires into a jack out to the cab?
Yeah, that's what you'd do, just attach the wires coming out the back of the speaker to a jack. But don't plug it into a tube amp unless you know the ohm-age
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Quote by drewsta42
Yeah, that's what you'd do, just attach the wires coming out the back of the speaker to a jack. But don't plug it into a tube amp unless you know the ohm-age

Cool, I was right... 'Cause I'm doing that too.
Quote by drewsta42

I know for a fact that there is no label, but idk about like a marking or whatever, but i will check before i do anything
so all i gotta do is, wire the black ground to the terminal that touches the outside of the jack, and the positive to the one that touches the tip.
Actually it doesn't matter which way you wire it, so yeah, that's fine.
As for the ohms, you can use a multi-meter to tell. It won't be exactly 4 or 8 or 16, but it should be within an ohm or closer.
Quote by Jack Carver
Actually it doesn't matter which way you wire it, so yeah, that's fine.
As for the ohms, you can use a multi-meter to tell. It won't be exactly 4 or 8 or 16, but it should be within an ohm or closer.

okay