Page 4 of 44
while we're on the topic: what exactly are nodes? what do they look like? where are they? what causes them? are they the same as swollen lymph nodes or whatever? i tried googling, but i really had no luck. I would appreciate if any of you singers could give me some info, thanks.
Quote by cubs
while we're on the topic: what exactly are nodes? what do they look like? where are they? what causes them? are they the same as swollen lymph nodes or whatever? i tried googling, but i really had no luck. I would appreciate if any of you singers could give me some info, thanks.

This explains it pretty clearly I think. It's with reference to screaming obviously but the same thing applies to any style of vocals if you're hammering away too hard at your vocal cords.

http://www.melissacross.com/melissa_cross_vocal_solution03.php
Quote by axemanchris
Hehe.... keep up the good work. Yer doin' fine.

Just one thing, though.... nodes are more like blisters than callouses.

CT

Thanks, but don't you be going anywhere soon. ;D

Quote by BrockTandem
Can anyone please give me some tips and ways to improve my vocals? I recorded myself singing along to What I Got by Sublime.

http://media.putfile.com/What-I-Got-55

Are you sure that's a valid link? It doesn't work for me...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Recently i feel my tones improved - i think ive learnt to stop raising my larynx so much...
so i decided to record a couple songs for other opinions, though im still recovering from a cold so ive got less power in my voice, struggling with some notes and had to stop both songs kind of early but i'd appreciate some criticism
I have some questions regarding singing as well.

Lately, I've been working on my singing. It's my dream to sing in live in front of audiences, so I've been practicing to get better. However - I'm not a big fan of my voice at this stage of my skill. I've been making my singing a little more breathy, kinda like John Mayer. I really love the way it sounds, cause I have a deep and low voice, so it just makes it really mellow and lovely if you ask me.

I was just wondering, is making my voice a bit more breathy harmful to my voice? I do sing from my diaphragm to make it more warm and bassy, but I think it could be harmful. Now I've just been singing for quite a while tonight, and my voice is getting a bit exhausted from it. Could this be due to the more breathy approach?

I've been thinking about getting singing lessons, cause I really don't want to **** up my voice. It's just that I've been playing around with singing at home first to see what kind of voice I have. And I dont exactly have a lot of money to throw around.

*Edit*

I can also put up a clip if necessary.
Last edited by Jehuty at Dec 28, 2008,
I don't worry about vocal chord damage from screaming. I've been doing death metal vocals for a while now and my normal vocals haven't changed a bit as yet. I'm talking newer Napalm Death vocals... you know, stuff from their past three albums. Really intense and harsh roars.

If I can do these without doing damage I think I can get the screams down too. I'd just prefer to use vocal distortion over full powered screams...
Jackson SL1 Soloist / Seymour Duncan Pickups
Shitty Zoom G1 "Effects Pedal"
Shitty Esteban Acoustic Guitar Amp

(hey, makes ends meet until I get more cash. The SL1 was a gift, the other stuff I bought myself, amp before, Zoom after)
Quote by Venice
I don't worry about vocal chord damage from screaming. I've been doing death metal vocals for a while now and my normal vocals haven't changed a bit as yet. I'm talking newer Napalm Death vocals... you know, stuff from their past three albums. Really intense and harsh roars.

... may you never be in a position where you'll be made to eat these words.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by MusicalMinority
Thanks, but don't you be going anywhere soon. ;D

Are you sure that's a valid link? It doesn't work for me...

Yeah, it works fine for me. Try copying and pasting the link.
I have basically no singing experience, how should i go about being able to sing better?
Quote by Uist2008
I have basically no singing experience, how should i go about being able to sing better?

Just sing! There are ways to make yourself sound better from the beginning, yes, but the only real way to strengthen your singing and become good at it is to simply sing. I've only been singing regularly for roughly 3 or 4 months now and I've already had a noticeable improvement in my vocals. You just have to be confident enough to practice regularly.

If you're not sure where to start with "technique" and all that, just read the first post in this thread. It's not a "set in stone" bunch of rules that you absolutely HAVE to follow, but it gives some great starting points to help you get a nicer, clearer sound out of your singing.
I know how to sing falsetto but how do you get that "crunch" sound to go with it? Like King Diamond and Judas Priest. My voice no matter how hard I try never seems to have any power behind it.
Quote by BrockTandem
Can anyone please give me some tips and ways to improve my vocals? I recorded myself singing along to What I Got by Sublime.

http://media.putfile.com/What-I-Got-55

Hah! I had no idea that Sublime had strong Beatles influences until just now.

Okay, well, the main thing I noticed was that you're not hitting pitches very well. I know you took it down an octave, but you're not hitting the right pitches.

My ears aren't sharp enough yet to be able to tell between good technique and bad by listening to something, but it doesn't sound as though you've got good breath support. It also appears that you're not using pressurized breath and that you're not singing from the diaphragm. Like you're just talking, rather than singing.

As for staying in tune- just keep singing. The more you sing, the better you sing.

The technique to all of the rest is on the first post. Practice, practice, practice!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by Jehuty
I have some questions regarding singing as well.

Lately, I've been working on my singing. It's my dream to sing in live in front of audiences, so I've been practicing to get better. However - I'm not a big fan of my voice at this stage of my skill. I've been making my singing a little more breathy, kinda like John Mayer. I really love the way it sounds, cause I have a deep and low voice, so it just makes it really mellow and lovely if you ask me.

I was just wondering, is making my voice a bit more breathy harmful to my voice? I do sing from my diaphragm to make it more warm and bassy, but I think it could be harmful. Now I've just been singing for quite a while tonight, and my voice is getting a bit exhausted from it. Could this be due to the more breathy approach?

I've been thinking about getting singing lessons, cause I really don't want to **** up my voice. It's just that I've been playing around with singing at home first to see what kind of voice I have. And I dont exactly have a lot of money to throw around.

*Edit*

I can also put up a clip if necessary.

By breathy, do you mean that you breathe in quickly and loudly? I don't think that'd necessarily be bad for your vocal chords, but it might do murder to your air supply. If you find that you run out of breath too much while doing this, I would cut it down a bit. If you notice that your voice starts to get exhausted, or if it hurts to sing using this method, stop immediately and ask somebody who's qualified to answer your question.

Cheers.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by KileManA7X
I know how to sing falsetto but how do you get that "crunch" sound to go with it? Like King Diamond and Judas Priest. My voice no matter how hard I try never seems to have any power behind it.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the guy from Judas Priest doesn't use falsetto a lot. There was an interview on UG a while back, saying that he's got four octaves' worth of chest&head voice. If that's so, it's likely that he's not singing in falsetto- he's just using a really thin head voice.

Otherwise than that tidbit of information, I can't really help you- my falsetto's lacking somewhat as well.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by BrockTandem
Yeah, it works fine for me. Try copying and pasting the link.

Worked fine for me too.

Your pitch is basically fine (aside from when you try to go higher, as pointed out above), but singing the chorus down the octave I found to be a choice I wouldn't make unless I had to. Singing the chorus up the octave really serves a functional part of the arrangement, with clear divisions between the verses and the chorus. As it is, it makes the song sound pretty monotone.

Suggestions:
-if that song is too high for you, either change the key to preserve the arrangement as it is, or choose another song.
-what you need to learn is resonance. Your voice, though the pitch changes, still has a 'talking' quality as opposed to a 'singing' quality. This is where resonance comes in.

Generally, private instruction is required to learn something like resonance. Read the bits about the mask of the face and the inhalation of the voice for some info on resonance. http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

Now, it is rare to find someone who teaches the inhalation of the voice. Ultimately, however you do it, you need to get the air responsible for creating the tone of your voice into your sinus cavities.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by MusicalMinority
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the guy from Judas Priest doesn't use falsetto a lot. There was an interview on UG a while back, saying that he's got four octaves' worth of chest&head voice. If that's so, it's likely that he's not singing in falsetto- he's just using a really thin head voice.

Otherwise than that tidbit of information, I can't really help you- my falsetto's lacking somewhat as well.

He has a good range, but he does use a well-developed falsetto from what I can remember of my Judas Priest listening.

As far as four octaves.... no. Check this: http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=30

CT

Quote by MusicalMinority
If you find that you run out of breath too much while doing this, I would cut it down a bit. If you notice that your voice starts to get exhausted, or if it hurts to sing using this method, stop immediately and ask somebody who's qualified to answer your question.

Cheers.

CT

Quote by madbasslover
Just sing! There are ways to make yourself sound better from the beginning, yes, but the only real way to strengthen your singing and become good at it is to simply sing. I've only been singing regularly for roughly 3 or 4 months now and I've already had a noticeable improvement in my vocals. You just have to be confident enough to practice regularly.

If you're not sure where to start with "technique" and all that, just read the first post in this thread. It's not a "set in stone" bunch of rules that you absolutely HAVE to follow, but it gives some great starting points to help you get a nicer, clearer sound out of your singing.

As much as I agree with this on a basic level, it needs to be pointed out that practicing something incorrectly will only make it harder to 'unlearn' your bad habits later.

In that spirit, I recommend lessons.

CT

I've uploaded a small exerpt of a song that I'm working on. I hope someone can comment on it. Thanks in advance, and MusicalMinority, thanks for your reply.

Its on my profile btw.

I'm still working on it, so its not perfect yet or anything.
Quote by axemanchris
He has a good range, but he does use a well-developed falsetto from what I can remember of my Judas Priest listening.

As far as four octaves.... no. Check this: http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=30

CT

Methinks that thebelcantotechnique.com and I need to have a nice evening or two together... I think I could learn more about technique in a night than I have over the last year. o_O

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
Methinks that thebelcantotechnique.com and I need to have a nice evening or two together... I think I could learn more about technique in a night than I have over the last year. o_O

That's why I made it.

CT

So i was wondering.... is there some sort of machine, like a vocal tuner, that one could sing into and then the machine would tell you what pitch you're singing? Or could a good guitar tuner do this? I tried singing into my basic guitar tuner but it only registers E, A, D, G, B, E.

EDIT 1: how can I find my range by singing along to the guitar? like a scale from what fret on what string to what fret on what string is what?

EDIT 2: I'm trying to work on pitch, any advice? Just try to match tone up with guitar or piano? I was in a school chorus all my life up until 3 years ago and I think I lost ALL technique I may have once possessed... and its really bothering me right now because I'm the main songwriter and lyricist of my band and backing vocals and its just not working out well.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
So i was wondering.... is there some sort of machine, like a vocal tuner, that one could sing into and then the machine would tell you what pitch you're singing? Or could a good guitar tuner do this? I tried singing into my basic guitar tuner but it only registers E, A, D, G, B, E.

Eh, you could use something like PitchPerfect (free- look it up on Google), but it's pretty slow at recognizing pitches.

That's the best help I can give you. If you've got a keyboard or piano, try keeping in tune with those. Not only will your voice stay in tune more often (muscle memory), but it's great ear training. You won't necessarily obtain perfect pitch, but you'll get a lot better at recognizing them.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
Eh, you could use something like PitchPerfect (free- look it up on Google), but it's pretty slow at recognizing pitches.

That's the best help I can give you. If you've got a keyboard or piano, try keeping in tune with those. Not only will your voice stay in tune more often (muscle memory), but it's great ear training. You won't necessarily obtain perfect pitch, but you'll get a lot better at recognizing them.

I guess that's what I'm gonna do. However, my piano is half a step flat lol..... Will using the guitar work just as well?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
EDIT 1: how can I find my range by singing along to the guitar? like a scale from what fret on what string to what fret on what string is what?

EDIT 2: I'm trying to work on pitch, any advice? Just try to match tone up with guitar or piano? I was in a school chorus all my life up until 3 years ago and I think I lost ALL technique I may have once possessed... and its really bothering me right now because I'm the main songwriter and lyricist of my band and backing vocals and its just not working out well.

Eh, somebody posted a chart somewhere. The thread's only eight pages. ;D

Matching TONE with either isn't a good idea. Matching PITCH with the guitar isn't a good idea.

For pitch control, go for a keyboard/piano.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Well, if the piano's badly out of tune, I wouldn't train with that either.

My main beef with equal-tempered instruments is the problem of intonation... The farther and farther you go up the neck on a guitar, the more and more out of tune the pitches get. On a REALLY well set-up guitar, this is *barely noticeable*, but I think it'd be best just to match pitches with a tuned piano.

If your piano, however, is perfectly (PERFECTLY, mind you, or else your muscle memory will not develop correctly) a half-step detuned, you can use it for training; just remember that it is, afterall, a half-step out of tune. ;D

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority

Eh, somebody posted a chart somewhere. The thread's only eight pages. ;D

Matching TONE with either isn't a good idea. Matching PITCH with the guitar isn't a good idea.

For pitch control, go for a keyboard/piano.

pitch is what i emant lol . i shall now go search for this mystic chart!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by MusicalMinority

My main beef with equal-tempered instruments is the problem of intonation... The farther and farther you go up the neck on a guitar, the more and more out of tune the pitches get. On a REALLY well set-up guitar, this is *barely noticeable*, but I think it'd be best just to match pitches with a tuned piano.

If your piano, however, is perfectly (PERFECTLY, mind you, or else your muscle memory will not develop correctly) a half-step detuned, you can use it for training; just remember that it is, afterall, a half-step out of tune. ;D

if my epi les paul is getting a set up at guitar center today, will this be a huge problem? because I'm not sure exactly HOW out of tune the piano is, its about a half step.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by MusicalMinority

Is this a problem when you only really use the first five frets of a decent intonated guitar? (my range is basicly from 0 fret A string to 4th/5th fret high E)

I always thought intonation was only a real problem 12th fret and higher...
Ok, so my guitar tuner looks like this:

http://www.gmm.com.pl/duze_zdjecia/Korg_ga-30.jpg

when I played piano notes, the indicator would go from 430 - what appears to be 434 Hz. How out of tune exactly is this, quarter step?

EDIT: what exactly is the range of a countertenor? because I'm fifteen and up until a few weeks ago I could hit all of Axl Rose's high notes in those crazy gnr songs and sing along with grunge stuff.... right now I'm sick so I don't know if my range is being affected from that or if it's just shrinking. I really hope its not shrinking.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by Shadow_Hawk

when I played piano notes, the indicator would go from 430 - what appears to be 434 Hz. How out of tune exactly is this, quarter step?

EDIT: what exactly is the range of a countertenor? because I'm fifteen and up until a few weeks ago I could hit all of Axl Rose's high notes in those crazy gnr songs and sing along with grunge stuff.... right now I'm sick so I don't know if my range is being affected from that or if it's just shrinking. I really hope its not shrinking.

I'm pretty sure a countertenor is someone who sings in falsetto all the time. I could be mistaken, I'll check.

Also, at fifteen the vocal cords aren't fully developed, so you'll probably be able to sing higher now than you will be later on in life when your vocal cords have matured a bit. Being sick shouldn't permanently affect your range unless it somehow damages your vocal cords.

EDIT:
A countertenor is a male singing voice whose vocal range is equivalent to that of a contralto, mezzo-soprano or (less frequently) a soprano, usually through use of falsetto, or more rarely the normal or modal voice.

Source
Last edited by madbasslover at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by madbasslover
I'm pretty sure a countertenor is someone who sings in falsetto all the time. I could be mistaken, I'll check.

Also, at fifteen the vocal cords aren't fully developed, so you'll probably be able to sing higher now than you will be later on in life when your vocal cords have matured a bit. Being sick shouldn't permanently affect your range unless it somehow damages your vocal cords.

EDIT:

Source

alrighty. I did some singing earlier and I had a lot of my range back, so it's not permanent.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
if my epi les paul is getting a set up at guitar center today, will this be a huge problem? because I'm not sure exactly HOW out of tune the piano is, its about a half step.

Eh, I don't proclaim to be an expert on the subject of intonation, but I think that'll do. It can't be that bad.

Quote by StonaLemons
Is this a problem when you only really use the first five frets of a decent intonated guitar? (my range is basicly from 0 fret A string to 4th/5th fret high E)

I always thought intonation was only a real problem 12th fret and higher...

I don't think so. Again, I'm no expert, but the first five frets should relatively be in tune.

Quote by Shadow_Hawk

Eh, that's good. If it's relatively in tune from there, I think you'll be okay.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
one last question. When practicing singing, should I practice vocal scales like you do on guitar or just math each pitch up with each other?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
one last question. When practicing singing, should I practice vocal scales like you do on guitar or just math each pitch up with each other?

Eh, a little bit of both. Scales for warm-ups and range exploration/expansion, and pitch matching for great muscle memory.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I know the answer to the question I posted a few days ago about my range and my singing. I thought the lowest note I could hit was an F3, but I realized yesterday that I've been trying to sing everything an octave lower than it really was. The lowest note I can actually hit is a G2. So, that's finally cleared up. I feel like such a dumbass.

Also, I just discovered the other day what a huge difference it makes to warm up before singing. I never warmed up before, I always just started singing. I warmed up for the first time the other day and my voice sounded great. I also strained much less and sounded much better when singing towards the top and bottom of my range.
What did your warm up routine resemble? Just curious, since I need a decent one.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
What did your warm up routine resemble? Just curious, since I need a decent one.

I started at Middle C and sang up and down my range for about 10 minutes. I'm not sure if it'd be considered a proper warm-up, but it certainly improved my voice quite a bit.
Quote by bluesrocker101
I'd like an answer for this too (I was about to ask a similar question, no joke).

So far I hum through my scales, then I do-re-mi through my scales, then I count through my scales. Anything else I should be doing, because that barely takes me 10 minutes.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.