Page 5 of 44
hey guys. i was wondering how i could see if i'm a baritone or a tenor. anyone know the highest and lowest notes in each range so i can test it on piano? thanks.

i was also wondering if anyone has any helpful tips on how to help me pronounce my words better when i sing. not really the notes, but more of the tone of my voice. thanks for the help.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
hey guys. i was wondering how i could see if i'm a baritone or a tenor. anyone know the highest and lowest notes in each range so i can test it on piano? thanks.

i was also wondering if anyone has any helpful tips on how to help me pronounce my words better when i sing. not really the notes, but more of the tone of my voice. thanks for the help.

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=30

Are you asking about how to 'un-mumble' yourself, so that people can understand what you're saying, or about how to get clearer tone?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by Dio10101
Anyone here know of any singers in New York that aren't in a band?

Wrong forum dude.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by demonofthenight
I'd like an answer for this too (I was about to ask a similar question, no joke).

So far I hum through my scales, then I do-re-mi through my scales, then I count through my scales. Anything else I should be doing, because that barely takes me 10 minutes.

Personally, I like to start at all the easy scales- the ones that it takes barely any effort to sing. Those are your midrange scales. Then, try going lower and lower until you've warmed up your bottom range pretty well. Go back up through your midrange (and relish yourself in how much better you sound). Then, go up higher and higher until you've warmed up your top range.

It's not so much (I think) the time you spend as much as what you do in that time. 10 minutes might be sufficient for you, but not for others. Depends from person to person.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Ok I'm a little confused. I've read here that I shouldn't strain my voice when I sing in falsetto, but how else can I? I mean I just have to or else I can't. I wouldn't say it hurts when i do it, but it does feel like i'm adding a bit of pressure (if that makes sense) on my throat.

I just want to make sure that I'm not hurting my voice
Quote by esp1234
Ok I'm a little confused. I've read here that I shouldn't strain my voice when I sing in falsetto, but how else can I? I mean I just have to or else I can't. I wouldn't say it hurts when i do it, but it does feel like i'm adding a bit of pressure (if that makes sense) on my throat.

I just want to make sure that I'm not hurting my voice

Well, I'm not a singing expert by any means, so what I'm about to say should simply be viewed only as "my two cents," but if you feel like you're adding pressure to your throat to sing falsetto then chances are you're straining your vocal cords. The only difference I feel between falsetto and normal singing is that falsetto feels like it's up in my head whereas other singing does not.
Pressure? Likely then, that you're straining your vocal chords.

It (should) feel the same as normal singing, but with the break in the register.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
^
Yeah, I guess that sounds right in what I do when I try doing falsetto's.
I have another question, Does Neil Young sing in falsetto in the song, "The needle and the damage done"? or is that just his high range
Neil Young sings his higher notes in falsetto a lot.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
How old are you? Is your voice in the midst of changing?

Alternately, every day IS different for a singer.... though generally not THAT different. Are you ill? Fatigued? Feeling down? All those things can impact on your singing and be variables in how you sing from one day to the next.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

So your voice could well be changing.

CT

I find that voice changing is the most challenging part of singing as an adolescent... Talking as a soon to be 15-year-old, I know what it's like to have weird problems with your voice.

The only thing that really works is to make sure that you're challenging yourself, but not straining your voice to the point where it hurts. Once you finish puberty, your voice isn't going to go as high as it used to, so you've got to make sure that you expand your range as much as possible, because it's likely that you'll end up losing a semitone or two off of your high range.

And after puberty, you ought to make sure that you're not straining at all.

axemanchris can correct me if I'm wrong on anything I said, but I'm fairly certain this is all sound advice.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Hey guys i'm new to singing but i just got an SM58 with the intention of giving it a go . I don't have any kind of pre-amp or mixer so i'm running it though my guitar amp's clean channel until i can afford one, :S but anyway, i uploaded a little section of A7x's unholy confessions onto my profile, my voice is panned right and the original track is panned left. It clips a bit, but if anyone could tell me if it's any good or not i'd really appreciate it .
Also great thread, rly helped, especially z4twennny's screaming thing, i was worried about damaging something doing it wrong.
Last edited by Rustypig at Jan 2, 2009,
While we're on the topic of voice changes, I have a couple questions. I always thought that male voices finished maturing around 18 years old. In the past 6 months or so, though, my voice has been breaking quite a bit and has even gotten a tiny bit deeper. It's not very noticeable, but it has definitely changed. Does the age at which the vocal cords finish maturing vary from person to person? If my voice seems like it's starting to change again, when can I expect my vocal cords to finish maturing?
Your voice will continue to deepen - though not quite so profoundly as it does from age 12-18.

Take a mental sampling of people's voices you know. There is most definitely a 'boy' voice, a 'young man' voice, and a 'fully mature adult' voice. Though it changes in steps, we often forget that there are smaller steps that happen between the ages of about 16 and 20 or 25.

CT

I heard it's not good for your voice and limits your range. Is this true and if it is, how do I stop it?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
@demon - Heard WHAT isn't good?

CT

Quote by Rustypig
Hey guys i'm new to singing but i just got an SM58 with the intention of giving it a go . I don't have any kind of pre-amp or mixer so i'm running it though my guitar amp's clean channel until i can afford one, :S but anyway, i uploaded a little section of A7x's unholy confessions onto my profile, my voice is panned right and the original track is panned left. It clips a bit, but if anyone could tell me if it's any good or not i'd really appreciate it .
Also great thread, rly helped, especially z4twennny's screaming thing, i was worried about damaging something doing it wrong.

Not an expert on screaming, but always remember to do it from the diaphragm. Doing it from the throat will give you serious problems later on.

I think (it's really early from where I'm at, so I might be delirious) that you're singing an octave lower than the original singer is. If you know that you can't hit the notes, then that's all fine. If you've never tried, try it, and see if you can hit them.

Your pitch is fine, but it sounds as if you need to resonate more. Sounds more like you're talking at different pitches than singing.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by demonofthenight
I heard it's not good for your voice and limits your range. Is this true and if it is, how do I stop it?

Wait, are you talking about stopping the voice from aging and maturing, or something else?

If you're talking about keeping your voice from aging, then there's no advice I can give... It happens to everyone, including Paul McCartney. ;D

If you're talking about something else... Then I'm just completely lost.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
ARGGHHHH, this is why carelessly deleting stuff from your post and not reading over your posts is bad.

When I sing my adams apple goes up and down heaps. Heard it was bad so I want it to stop.

Sorry guys
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
ARGGHHHH, this is why carelessly deleting stuff from your post and not reading over your posts is bad.

When I sing my adams apple goes up and down heaps. Heard it was bad so I want it to stop.

Sorry guys

Okay, well...

I have this problem slightly as well, especially when hitting the last few notes of my lower range. It's a lot better than I had it before- before, I couldn't go a whole step without my Adam's apple twitching around like mad.

The way I solved this was to look in a mirror and put a finger on my Adam's apple (larynx). I'd run some 5-note scales, and every time it moved, I'd stop and sing the scale over again, consciously willing myself to sing the pitch without moving around my larynx muscles.

Again, I have absolutely no control over the last note or two in my lower range, but for my mids and highs, it's done wonders with my singing.

The key is to keep your throat loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOn-b3V6rQ&feature=channel
^This is also a fantastic video to watch about keeping one's throat loose. Not specifically about the larynx, but dead handy anyways.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
^Thanks, I've been looking for more exercises to do anyway.

It's times like this I wish I had professional lessons and money.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I haz a question about vibrato:
How i make vibrato even?
and
Does your mouth move during vibrato? Or is it all throat?
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by demonofthenight
^Thanks, I've been looking for more exercises to do anyway.

It's times like this I wish I had professional lessons and money.

Hey, it's alright. I'm going to be smacking of vanity here, but I'm a fairly decent singer, and I've never taken formal vocal lessons. Never even sung in a choir or anything like that. Don't have the money, and nobody around here can sing properly at ALL.

When I first became interested in singing a few years ago, I was absolutely TERRIBLE. It took me years to learn proper technique, and to unlearn the bad habits I'd picked up. From sites like Chris's (Your site's absolutely amazing, by the way... Working on that Bel Canto technique now), and watching videos like that on YouTube, I taught myself how to sing.

If you have access to information about how to sing properly, and have enough self-discipline to force yourself to unlearn bad habits and learn good ones, I believe that it's possible to teach yourself how to sing without a private instructor.

Just my belief on that, but like always, I could very well be wrong.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
How i make vibrato even?
and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey8lZgnUfZc&feature=channel
There you go.
All you'll ever need to know about vocal vibrato.

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=30
Chris' article on vibrato... Not very helpful (though that's not his fault), but it's got a few good tips in there.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=30

Are you asking about how to 'un-mumble' yourself, so that people can understand what you're saying, or about how to get clearer tone?

both, i guess
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
How i make vibrato even?
and

You can get a metronome and practice doing trills between 2 notes. That is Pitch Vibrato.

Some people pulse the stomach for Stomach vibrato.

Some shake the jaw.

I've also heard of moving the larynx up and down for vibrato.

I'd recommend pitch vibrato to learn first, then fool around with stomach vibrato. They both sound different and have different sounds.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by demonofthenight

Sorry guys

Well first off, try putting your finger there and focus on keeping it down. Make sure you stretch your neck around first so its relaxed.

Another you could do is a thing called "bullfrogs". You tense the muscles under your chin and move your adams apple down. Its hard to describe without a picture
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

hey people, i am wondering what the best way of singing in a raspy voice is?

not screaming, but regular singing with that raspier touch. i cant do it without hurting my throat, so i wonder if anyone have any general tips or guidelines.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by demonofthenight
A

Sorry guys

Why do you perceive that to be a problem?

CT

Quote by MusicalMinority

I believe that it's possible to teach yourself how to sing without a private instructor.

Just my belief on that, but like always, I could very well be wrong.

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=30

CT

Quote by feltgrape
You can get a metronome and practice doing trills between 2 notes. That is Pitch Vibrato.

Some people pulse the stomach for Stomach vibrato.

Some shake the jaw.

I've also heard of moving the larynx up and down for vibrato.

I'd recommend pitch vibrato to learn first, then fool around with stomach vibrato. They both sound different and have different sounds.

There is a big difference between a trill and a vibrato.

Aside from that, I dunno... it all sounds forced to me. Vibrato, with good technique will happen naturally. That link Musical Minority posted to my site was really unhelpful, but that's not his fault. There is no magic solution to it or excercises to do other than learning good technique.

CT

Quote by feltgrape

Another you could do is a thing called "bullfrogs". You tense the muscles under your chin and move your adams apple down. Its hard to describe without a picture

I become *very* suspect of any advice on singing that says to tense up *any* muscles.

CT

Quote by Demon Wolf
hey people, i am wondering what the best way of singing in a raspy voice is?

not screaming, but regular singing with that raspier touch. i cant do it without hurting my throat, so i wonder if anyone have any general tips or guidelines.

You can 'put it on' by tightening up your throat a bit, but by any means, don't make a practice out of it. You'll kill your voice. Rod Stewart is a great example of a raspy singer. Listen to his earlier stuff, and he has a killer voice for rock and roll. Problem is, he has had multiple surgeries on his throat for nodes.

Steven Tyler has learned to sing a lot cleaner a lot more of the time from when he was younger. This has probably saved his voice, and has most certainly made his singing stronger. IMHO, he is easily among the best rock singers of all time, considering range, feel, versatility, and overall impact.

Other singers seem to be a fluke and get away with it. Brian Johnson amazes me when that he can even speak, never mind release another album. He just sounds like that.

One of the cardinal rules of singing is that your voice is your voice. Make the best of it that you can, but you can never make a Strat sound like a Les Paul.

CT

Quote by calebrocker
both, i guess

To get good/clear tone, you need to project your voice. Relax your throat, sing from the diaphragm, don't tense up ANY muscles.

To 'unmumble' your words, practice enunciation. Shaping your vowels to a ridiculous extent is just bad technique (like the famed gospel jaw), but you've got to make sure that the vowel sounds are the most prominent. When you can pronounce your words clearly, you'll start singing more clearly.

Hope that helps.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by madbasslover
Why is it that you're supposed to keep your adam's apple from moving while you sing?

I've heard that it messes up your larynx and closes your airways.

In short, it chokes off the steady supply of air coming from your throat, hurting your tone and your vocal chords.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
So I might need to learn how to sing for my band.

I can already sing some acoustic stuff like Jack Johnson for the most part. Just I am a baritone I believe and I have a lot of trouble singing anything that is not low. I also have trouble finding the right key to sing in and what not.

Pretty much I suck, but I have been practicing for almost a year and with very little improvement.

My band is rock and alternative and what not so I might need to learn how sing my higher notes. I can sing in falsetto fine but it sounds so girly that's not gonna work. lol
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid