this is from eurotubes

"Marshall TSL60 Amps - High Gain Option
Price: 81.00
Description: Want a little more saturation? This includes a matched pair of the JJ E34L's and four hand picked high gain ECC83S's with one balanced for the phase inverter in V4. Very punchy and full with great definition! "

What is V4 and a phase inverter?
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
V4 refers to the valve/vacuum tube 4 in the TSL60 schematic which is the Phase inverter according to your post.

The phase inverter takes an input signal and splits it into 2 signals (one of which is out of phase) in order to run in the more efficient class AB (push/pull) method which prolongs the tubes life.

Read more about the exciting world of PI here.

Hope that helps.
so if I was to just buy 4 ordinary JJ 12ax7's would it work fine?
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
Yep, it'd work just fine.
They don't even have to all be JJ's, any brand 12AX7 will do. I personally like to mix and match to get the best tone. My JCM800 currently runs a NOS Mullard in V1, a Electro Harmonix in V2 and a Sylvania in V3.
Last edited by PaoloJM at Dec 15, 2008,
Yes.
The ECC83 is the European version of the 12AX7.

If you change the Power Tubes (34s) they might need biasing. The 12AX7s don't.

There's a lot of info available in the Marshall Amp Forum.
cool, is getting power tubes biased expensive?
Quote by Bazilisck311
I've never paid for it so wouldn't know but...

The TSL60 has an external bias test point and trimpot so you can do it yourself with a multimeter. There's a video and more info here = clickety-click. It's as easy as attaching two clips and turning a dial (trimpot) to the desired level.

If you're getting a tech to change the tubes for you they should re-bias it for free (I'd have thought it'd be included in the price). If you're changing the tubes yourself make sure you know what you're doing with the high voltages. Depending on when it was last powered up (the caps can store power for a while by all accounts) you might need to make-safe the amp first.
all right cool, would a shop be pissed if I bought valves on ebay and then asked them to fit them? so is it pretty easy to do it yourself?
Quote by Bazilisck311
If I were you I'd definatly get a matched/balanced PI tube.

The phase inverter is a very import tube and you want it to be working to its full potnial. The extra $4 is worth it imo.
how do I go finding them on ebay?
Quote by Bazilisck311
^Listen to kurtlives91 'cause he knows a lot more than me about amps

It's easy to do. Some tubes have clips to hold them in place but they all just pull out and push in. No wiring, soldering, fighting or fuss.

I'd recommend phoning round guitar local guitar shops asking how much they charge to replace tubes and ask if you could watch them do it. They shouldn't care if you bought the tubes off ebay but... they might not be happy installing tubes they can't vouch for.
cool, well I may import some cause the USA sites seem to be so much better than the UK ones, ebay has been my best uk option so far, the music shops where I live are awful I have one shop in my local are that tried selling me a second hand epiphone les paul for more than the cost of a new one, it's where I bought my amp from, and it probably cost me alot more than it should have, there is an awesome custom amp in another local shop that is a Marshall DSL customised with a third channel offering Orange high gain distortion and finished in orange tollex, it looks pretty sweet, but as the staff go, I went in there with a problem and the guy had no clue what I was talking about, (amp problems with fx loop) I'm gonna change my valves to actually eliminate them from the possible problems, I'm also gonna see how much they will charge to look over my amp and check for problems

I'll check out importing vs. buying from uk suppliers
Quote by Bazilisck311