I am ordering a mixture of tubes tonight and I was wondering if any of you guys stumbled across a nice mixture of preamp tubes for the 5150/6505 combo.
What are you CURRENTLY using in your preamp?
12ax7 groove tubes in the preamp, there pretty nice
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Most people use a combo of chinese pre's and JJ's. I just sold my 6505, it wasnt working for me at all.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Most people use a combo of chinese pre's and JJ's. I just sold my 6505, it wasnt working for me at all.

Yeah, I hear ya. I just got a JSX and it pretty much puts my 6505 combo to shame.
I'm trying to brighten the thing up a bit and I'm starting to think that maybe a quality preamp retube would make me like it more.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Yeah, I hear ya. I just got a JSX and it pretty much puts my 6505 combo to shame.
I'm trying to brighten the thing up a bit and I'm starting to think that maybe a quality preamp retube would make me like it more.

I'd betting it will. What a great amp, the JSX. Very warm sounding when I tried it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I'd betting it will. What a great amp, the JSX. Very warm sounding when I tried it.

Oh I LOVE the JSX!
It's the 6505 I'm trying to brighten up a bit. I'm thinking an assortment of preamp tubes might help it.
The JJ's RULE in the JSX, but not so much in the 6505.

I've already ordered SovtekWXT+'s for the power section.
I thinking I'm going to go
Tung Sol V1
Mullard V2
JJ V5
JJ V3
Sovtek LPS for the V4 Phase Inverter

Hopefully THIS mixture will help it.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Dec 14, 2008,
I got a hi-gain package from Euro Tubes...except he changed the phase converter tube to brighten up the sound, couldn't tell you which one though...You sound like you want the same thing out of your head as I did. I'm happy with the results.
sovtek are the best hands down. they totaly pwn mullard and jj for value and performace