So Im stuck in the biggest rut I have ever been in, all I use is pentatonics for soloing, like I'm at the point where thats all I can use. You guys wanna help me out
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Simple. Try to learn other scales. Some scales that sound good and are not used that much are the Harmonic Minor and the Phrygian Dominant. Those 2 scales sound very exotic and middle estearn. You will like them
Quote by Thrasher_09
Simple. Try to learn other scales. Some scales that sound good and are not used that much are the Harmonic Minor and the Phrygian Dominant. Those 2 scales sound very exotic and middle estearn. You will like them
No.

Quote by DespisedIcon
Learn other scales and modes.
No.

You have to learn the basics of the major scale and diatonic harmony before you explore more advanced topics. You will not understand the more advanced material without knowing the basics.
just learn about modes, and when to apply them. there's really nothing wrong with the pentatonic scale, as long as you can make it sound somewhat original.
Quote by Babbs
just learn about modes, and when to apply them. there's really nothing wrong with the pentatonic scale, as long as you can make it sound somewhat original.

+1

Many guitarists have built careers out of never venturing from the pentatonic. Some criticise them for being unoriginal, some praise them for using the same scale in so many different ways.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Babbs
just learn about modes
Again, no. Modes are a lot of fun, but to jump from pentatonic scales to modes without learning the major scale leads to confusion and flawed knowledge.
Sue has a point, start with the basics if you really want to understand what you are doing.

But still.... scales and modes are great to learn, but it seems like a lot of guitarists I know are forgetting that they posses the greatest musical tool in the world:

Your Ear.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I know the major, minor and a few modes, phrygian, dorian, lydian ect. the thing im having problems with is applying them to my playing
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Well, the point I was trying to make is (Music theory masters, forgive me lol) to forget about scales.

Don't think "Oh let me try this scale, to see if it works"

Rather, think "Oh let me try this note, to see if it works"

Try stuff out, figure out what works and what doesn't work. This is how you get the solos in your head to actually manifest. Not because you know where "that scale is" , but because you know where that "sound" is in the particular context.

^is this making any sense at all? lol
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by gibson_10
I know the major, minor and a few modes, phrygian, dorian, lydian ect. the thing im having problems with is applying them to my playing

If you can't create anything interesting from the minor pentatonic you won't be able to create anything interesting from any other scales either.

There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If you can't create anything interesting from the minor pentatonic you won't be able to create anything interesting from any other scales either.

There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

This;

If you know those scales, but can't apply em, then you don't understand them.

Either that or you lack musical creativity.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??