Page 1 of 2
right my very first guitar (Encore Strat Copy) is about 10 years old now i plug it into the same amp with the same effects and i use my other guitars (Fender Strat USA Standars and Gibson Les Paul 08) and they bothe sound the EXACT same i listen really carefully and cant tell the difference?
so whats the point in dear guitars?
what amp did you use?
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Quote by paulg08
right my very first guitar (Encore Strat Copy) is about 10 years old now i plug it into the same amp with the same effects and i use my other guitars (Fender Strat USA Standars and Gibson Les Paul 08) and they bothe sound the EXACT same i listen really carefully and cant tell the difference?

I agree with you. Six strings and a piece of wood
valvestate 80 watt
volume on 6 OD2 channel gain on 8
bass 3
mids 8
treble 7
contour high
crunch tone
all guitars on bridge pickup with tone on 0
I highly doubt they sound the exact same, they probaly just sound similar because of the amp and/or effects. What pickups do you have in your guitars? They surly wouldn't sound the exact same. seems a bit fishy that he just joined today, troll maybe?.
I leik music
Yeah..

Too many kids these days who think guitars make all the difference. You need a better amp that doesn't color the guitars tone - usually good tube amps don't do such a thing.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Put the amp on clean and try it. I guarantee the LP and the Strat don't sound the same.
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
i wanted to know whats the point in buying dear guitars when they sound the same
so i registered to the website and went on the forums to ask why??????
Yeah doode, ive been buying and playing so many guitars, and im at the point that i dont even both going into music shops to try them. Its all the same... buying a 3000 dollar guitar won't improve your playing and pending on your pedals/amps/pickups, there may be a slight difference in sound. Even though i believe this, i STILL buy MORE!! LOL
Valvestates color the **** out of tone.
That and you've contoured the **** out of it (taken out all the mids), and have no tone on your guitars up, so you instantly get a muddy tone. try futzing with your settings.
A) You may have a craptacular amp that would make any guitar sound like junk.

B) How long have you been playing? Is the guitar 10 years old, or have you been playing that long?

C) Is your ear really well developed? I haven't been playing spectacularly long, but I can definitely tell the difference between most guitars.

So overall, it sounds like you have a crappy amp, and that your effects are eating the guitar's sound.

EDIT:
Now that I've seen what amp you have, and considering that you run it with effects, I would say that your tone is being eaten.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
yea, play on clean, and tone on zero? why? the sounds will sound more similar that way. I think you have an ear that prefers what MOST guitarist think of as bad tone, but if that's what sounds good to you, then go for it.

also, why would you spend so much money then if they all sound the same?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Highwaytohell
Valvestates color the **** out of tone.
That and you've contoured the **** out of it (taken out all the mids), and have no tone on your guitars up, so you instantly get a muddy tone. try futzing with your settings.

I agree with you, too.

Though I still stand by my previous statement.
Quote by paulg08
i wanted to know whats the point in buying dear guitars when they sound the same
so i registered to the website and went on the forums to ask why??????

Not all guitars sound the same and people also but guitars for the feel of it. The action on a $1000 guitar would be better than the action on a $100 guitar.
I leik music
I have a £150 guitar and a £1200 guitar. Both humbucker electrics. They sound completely different through any amp.

Of course, I rarely use effects and my gain's usually at 5 or 6.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
to me, i can easily tell a difference between single coils and humbuckers. other than that i cant tell much difference. although my emgs are louder and more distorted than my dimarzio paf, which is understandable
Quote by therudycometh
Put the amp on clean and try it. I guarantee the LP and the Strat don't sound the same.

I agree...
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
troll or tonedef
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by paulg08
valvestate 80 watt
volume on 6 OD2 channel gain on 8
bass 3
mids 8
treble 7
contour high
crunch tone
all guitars on bridge pickup with tone on 0

Its basically solid state. You cant hear the guitars apart as easily. Try plugging into a fender twin or something, you will hear everything.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by col50
Not all guitars sound the same and people also but guitars for the feel of it. The action on a $1000 guitar would be better than the action on a $100 guitar.

Action can be fixed.
it goes to show you fender is in it for the money and dont make guitars like they did
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
it goes to show you fender is in it for the money and dont make guitars like they did

What are you talking about. Fender has some of the most practically priced and playable instruments on the market.
The TS just doesn't know how to EQ
Quote by Highwaytohell
What are you talking about. Fender has some of the most practically priced and playable instruments on the market.

This is true, and always has been.

Which is why I don't get why people pay 2 grand for a strat. It's not freakin rocket science. Paying that much for something that was meant to be cheap and mass produced boggles my mind.
Either you're half deaf, or you're new to the guitar and your ears can't pick up on the differences in sound yet.
i've been saying this for quite a while now..

in the grand scheme of things, guitars are pretty negligable.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
i've been saying this for quite a while now..

in the grand scheme of things, guitars are pretty negligable.

As long as you can play the damned thing, and the electronics are solid, you're good
Quote by neojazzical
They dont play the same though. You just have the same amp.

+1

I find it so hard to play on Strats now. (I used to love them)
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by NGMF-Sam

I believe that he even named Gibson Les Paul .

All of my guitars sound different even running through the same amp.Even the 2 Strats that I have sound different from each other.Hell different strings will make the same guitar sound different.
Last edited by Strat-agist at Dec 14, 2008,
Electrics don't have HUGE differences in tone. At least in my experience.

Now, ACOUSTICS on the other hand...well that's an entirely different story.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Try playing both the guitars unplugged, that will remove any coloration of the amp and pickups.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by col50

No, the action would be different not better.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I'm at a loss for words here. I can't even tell if this is a serious thread or not. I'm hoping it's a joke, but lately my faith in peoples intelligence is dwindling and more often than not I find that those who I thought were joking were actually serious.

All I can say is I have 5 electrics. I could most certainly tell them apart were I blindfolded, hell I could tell you which was which even if they weren't plugged in.

Then again High gain high contour with tone set to 0 it's bound to sound like **** no matter which guitar you play.
Through my tube amp, switching from my Strat to my Hollowbody Gibson with humbuckers is like night and day.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Natrone
Electrics don't have HUGE differences in tone. At least in my experience.

From single coil to humbucker to p90 are all rather drastic I'd say.

Hell I'd say even between two different sets of humbuckers can be drastically different, and if you can't tell the difference then the gain is probably set way too high.
Quote by paulg08

herein lies the truth...
Thank you please.
I only buy a new guitar for a new feature (E.g. Floyd Rose), or if it plays better.
Page 1 of 2