hey i recently purchased a drum mic set and triggers. it s a seven piece drum mic set and i the triggers are only for the bass drum. now i realized, how am i gunna input seven drum mics, one trigger, and one room mic into my fireone. anything i could get?
triggers, you attach them to the drum and you use a module to chose a sound you want so it picks up the drum hit and replaces it with the sample you chose, so when you re going fast on the bass drum, it s even. many death metal drums use these.
aaah right. Never come across them before, but I've not had much experience recording metal music/metal drummers.
But yeah, you best bet is going for a 8 upwards channel mixer. Spirit do very good small mixers, try them. Quite cheap as well, I've got a little 4 track notepad one i use to record everything. Pretty good.
Or try Aleisis (sp?). My mate has a small 4 channel one from them and thats quite good. depends what your bugget is though.

EDIT: just thought, not how I'd usually make it all even either using triggers. Engineers can do magic when it comes to mixing stuff. All about knowing how to use the software and how to use it well along with knowing all about compression, drum replacement etc etc.
Each to their own tho. Theres definitely no right or wrong way to record/mix something.
Last edited by stiff-upper-lip at Dec 14, 2008,
yeah, looks pretty sound. Got all the basics you need, phantom power, enough inputs and channels, high pass filters.
Good buy, just wondering how much wear and tear it has as its previously been bought off Ebay.
I'd go for it though. For the price atm, its very good.

Btw, what drum kit mic make did you get?
i got kinda a ****ty CAD seven piece condenser mic set. i ve seen them before and they do the job pretty good.
Quote by Saternsolide
hey i recently purchased a drum mic set and triggers. it s a seven piece drum mic set and i the triggers are only for the bass drum. now i realized, how am i gunna input seven drum mics, one trigger, and one room mic into my fireone. anything i could get?

Well the best way these days is to get something like the PReSonus FP10, a multi channel firewire interface.

Triggers are for triggering drum modules, they really are not needed to record.
An interface, and drum mics are a good start.

Most of your USB interfaces and mixers will have many inputs but will mix down making editing impossible. You should make it a goal to get each mic on its own track so you can tweak each track with EQ and such in the end.

The FP10 or Firestudio Project are both good starts. They are reasonably priced, and work very well.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
Well the best way these days is to get something like the PReSonus FP10, a multi channel firewire interface.

Triggers are for triggering drum modules, they really are not needed to record.
An interface, and drum mics are a good start.

Most of your USB interfaces and mixers will have many inputs but will mix down making editing impossible. You should make it a goal to get each mic on its own track so you can tweak each track with EQ and such in the end.

The FP10 or Firestudio Project are both good starts. They are reasonably priced, and work very well.
what do you think about the link i had before, this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-Multimix-16-with-USB_W0QQitemZ160303808672QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item160303808672&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Heres the real deal. USB is capable of sending 8 tracks to the computer without mixer. The thing is, most hardwaer is built around mixing down and sending it on a stereo track...I'm not sure why.

I am not sure if that particular product mixes down but you would be better off with a FP10 which goes for $400 new these days.
The mixer type controls are mostly useless as you can mix in software these days and generally add FX with the program as well.
well this also has a 3/8 out. i want to plug the a 3/8 cord right into the TASCAM fireone interface that i have, so therefore, i ll have more imputs. the fireone is very convenient with my Ableton Live on my laptop. this way, i will just have more imputs then the few that the fireone has, but still have the convenience of the fireone.
like moody is suggesting, get something that record each individual piece of the drumkit to its own channel.

meaning:

kickdrum or triggers in this case = 1 input
snare = 1 input
tom 1 = 1 input
tom 2 = 1 input
floor tom = 1 input
ride = 1 input
etc etc etc

this way, you when you record the track.. and find out your snare is too quiet or loud.. or some other kind of thing you don't like.. you can adjust the volume without having to redo the whole take.

also you'll be able to EQ, compress, reverb different parts of the kit without having to affect the rest of the kit.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
right this has that right? 8 mic imputs, all with volume sliders, and eq. then i can further edit them with the program
the ebay link you had before will give you extra inputs. but that mixer mixes everything down to a stereo track before you even get to play with them in whatever editing program you're using (protools? adobe?)

I'm using the the alesis usb8, which is pretty much the same thing, but i only do one track at a time.

a drumkit is anywhere from 4 to 16 tracks at a time. that mixer unfortunately will not be optimal for what you want to do since it mixes down to 2 tracks.

moodys suggestion for the Presonus Firepod 10 will do what you need.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
the ebay link you had before will give you extra inputs. but that mixer mixes everything down to a stereo track before you even get to play with them in whatever editing program you're using (protools? adobe?)

I'm using the the alesis usb8, which is pretty much the same thing, but i only do one track at a time.

a drumkit is anywhere from 4 to 16 tracks at a time. that mixer unfortunately will not be optimal for what you want to do since it mixes down to 2 tracks.

moodys suggestion for the Presonus Firepod 10 will do what you need.
ok well i m going through ebay, and i can t fine any good deals on the firepod. any other products similar to it?
None that I know of. Audio gear is expensive and the best thing to do is get good quality stuff from the start if you are even somewhat serious about recording. The FP10 is actually a great deal at $400. It has midi, tons of ins and outs, great sound, and it will last a long time.
These triggers..... are they midi triggers? That was my instinct, and it seems to be supported by your description.

That may be your answer. Get some quality drum samples and use the real drums to trigger the samples in your software. The performance will be live, and therefore natural sounding. Assuming the triggers have good velocity sensitivity....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
From what I know, triggers are just piezoelectric disks. To convert to midi data you need an interface. Roland makes the TMC-6 which would work. That runs for $300 though.

You can also run the triggers to a drum module and go out of midi from there. The problem here is budget, modules like a TD6V will run you around at least $300 used.

If you have a few mics and an acoustic drum set, the best way that I know to record the set is with an audio interface like the FP10.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 16, 2008,
Yeah.... a friend of mine made his own piezo triggers. Oh, I remember.... he recorded those hits as audio, and then used them inside the software to generate midi events, which in turn would be used to trigger samples.

Which, without getting a hardware device that could translate these impulses to a midi output, would still require all the inputs he would otherwise need. Ah, well.... sorry 'bout that....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.