So this summer, I want to remove the frets from my Yamaha MB-II (Motion B bass)...

As an aesthetic 'problem', there are ugly white inlays...

My plan is to put thin pieces of wood, in between the "fret slots" with the other materials...

And have a lighter wood in between the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 12th etc. frets as a highlighter and marker...

The white inlays will still be there...

What can I do about this?
Last edited by roshjosh at Dec 14, 2008,
Quote by sw1ss023
Get a sharpie and make them black.

win.
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Quote by TheMidasTouch
Buy a fretless

Why would you post that? You posted "Buy one" instead of "build or customize one" in a gear building & customization forum? **** you.

(In all seriousness though) Many people actually do sharpie the inlays... But since my question was about aesthetics, this will not do
You could try and pry it out with a razor blade or something thin and strong.
Quote by roshjosh
Why would you post that? You posted "Buy one" instead of "build or customize one" in a gear building & customization forum? **** you.

(In all seriousness though) Many people actually do sharpie the inlays... But since my question was about aesthetics, this will not do

Hey no need for all this hostility. I was just saying it would be easier, Good luck with your project.
Quote by roshjosh
So this summer, I want to remove the frets from my Yamaha MB-II (Motion B bass)...

As an aesthetic 'problem', there are ugly white inlays...

My plan is to put thin pieces of wood, in between the "fret slots" with the other materials...

And have a lighter wood in between the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 12th etc. frets as a highlighter and marker...

The white inlays will still be there...

Thin pieces of wood in the spaces? That will be hard. I think you should buy some wood filler instead, (It's easy to get a woodfiller than matches the rosewood) and simply fill the holes with that, press it in with a knife, leave it to dry for 3 hours then sand it down. Now, remove the fret inlays and fill it with woodfiller/knife/dry/sand again. The fretboard will look very close to an intouched fretboard. Upclose you will still see it though.

It's what i'm currently doing and it looks fine...here have a picture from my build so see it.

I never matched it well tbh, but it still doesn't look too bad.(..in my opinion lol)

EDIT : You wanted a lighter wood, well use the one that was meant to be a maple colour (the one I used) and darker for the fret inlays.
tape them off and stain the wood purple
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]