Hey guys. I just bought a Traynor YCV50 Blue yesterday from a music store here. The amp was used, but the price was good. Anyway it sounds great and all that, but sometimes if I stop playing the guitar even for just like 5 seconds, this "wind" like whoosh sound comes from the amp and it only goes away if I start playing again. It also happened today when I was playing this scale and I was playing the notes slowly. Is this normal for a tube amp or is it a sign of needing tube replacement? I haven't owned a tube amp before, but I'm guessing that it's a sign of tube replacement.

Basically it sounds like if you were outside and the sound that comes from a wind blowing a tree's leaves in the air, you guys know what I mean?

EDIT: it's basically a low rumbling sound and from what I've found online so far, it's a sign of power tube dying. Is this right?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 14, 2008,
Does it, like, start out quietly and then steadily get louder and louder?

If so, jiggle the preamp tubes (especially the first one) and make sure they're tight in the sockets. The same thing was happening to my Bugera 333XL and it turns out the problem was that the lead preamp tube got loose in the socket from me hauling the head back and forth from school to home twice a week.
Quote by whiteraven119
Does it, like, start out quietly and then steadily get louder and louder?

If so, jiggle the preamp tubes (especially the first one) and make sure they're tight in the sockets. The same thing was happening to my Bugera 333XL and it turns out the problem was that the lead preamp tube got loose in the socket from me hauling the head back and forth from school to home twice a week.

It's possible one of the tubes is not tight in its socket because the ride from my the music store to my house was pretty bumpy cause of all the snowfall here (though I drove as slow and as cautiously as I possibly could).
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by MustangSVT
It's possible one of the tubes is not tight in its socket because the ride from my the music store to my house was pretty bumpy cause of all the snowfall here (though I drove as slow and as cautiously as I possibly could).
Give it a check, then. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to someone who knows their way around a tube amp. If they're generous they won't charge you anything to jiggle the tubes
Ok so I looked at it. There is this round thing that goes on the end of tube that has two springs attached to it, anyway one of them was actually off of the tube (compared to the other one tube that had it on). This was on the two EL34 tubes, they both said ElectroHarmonix on them, I'm assuming these are the power tubes?

I will try and jiggle them to make sure they're tight in the socket. Oh and there's some black stuff on the inside of the tube at its end, this is normal I assume?

EDIT: I checked them and they seem to be as tight as it can go.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 14, 2008,
Well it looks like my problem was fixed by doing what I described above. The "cap end" on the tubes was loose on the 2 power tubes, I seated them properly, and have started the amp twice now and played for 30 minutes and the problem I described in my 1st post didn't happen either time at all, so I assume that fixed it. Thanks for the help gents.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Well it appears that I just thought the problem was gone. Have been playing a bit today and after 15 mins of playing a scale, the problem re-appeared and I had to stop the amp because it just didn't sound right, that same wind-like noise again. I will stop by the shop tomorrow to talk to them about it.

EDIT: Well I figured out something. On one of the power tubes (the EL34s), it says 05 03, which I'm assuming means March 2005 probably, or worse, May 2003? These tubes must be old. I'm gonna talk to the guys at the shop tomorrow and tell them about this and try to sort something out. I'm thinking either get them to replace all the tubes free of charge or replace with it a brand new version instead since I have the money for it. How much would it cost to replace all the tubes in it?

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 16, 2008,
Ok here's some more things. Here's the exact tubes:

Electro-Harmonix EL34EH 05/03
Sovtek 12AX7-WA 05/02

So both sets of tubes are like 3.5 years old. These things definitely need replacing. Maybe I should just replace them myself with better ones then? What's the best thing to do here. One part of me says - go back to music store and ask them to replace them for free (if I can) or figure it out myself and get better tubes?

It's annoying because right now if I play this thing, after 15 minutes I can't play it anymore because it makes this annoying sound so I would like a quick replacement if possible. I do still have my Peavey SS amp so I suppose I could use that in the meantime regardless of what I choose to do.

Let me know what you guys think!

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 16, 2008,