Ok, I'm a freshman in highschool, and the music scene SUCKS! No one appreciates music by how it sounds or how fun it is to play, only how hard it is or fast. I play the guitar sometimes in ANP (study hall) and people are like "wow you suck cuz you cant shred"..... Seriously, i hate the whole "metal-fad" .

It's bad enough that there's a bunch of wanna-be guitar players that started playing in the last few years because "they were awesome at guitar hero" and think they are cool because they can play Through the fire in flames on the guitar, even if its like the only song they know and dont even know what notes they are using .

Hopefully later in years people that appreciate blues for what it is and where it comes from then how "slow" or "easy" it sounds. It'd be cool to hook up with a blues band later in life, maybe college.

I know i sound like im whining but its kind of irritating to be a pretty good blues guitarist and then people not thinking its cool because its not dragonfore or metallica.
maybe you should appreciate metal as well as blues and other genre's? most of the guitarists at my school are into many genre's, i myself like a wide variety of music. blues isn't the only thing out there.
i try to mash em together to please both sides of the crowd. like i'll play something bluesy and with feeling then pull a sweep out of nowhere. something like that will please everyone
It's not that i hate metal, it's ujust that it is REALLY overrated at my school. Everyone is obssessed with it and it wouldnt be as ba in a small dose but my school should die of Metal ODing.
Grow up. You think you're the only one who has these problems?

Pffff Freshman. Sheesh.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Blues is truly some of the hardest music to play, because most of it is feel. It doesn't matter if you can play 1000 notes a minute, if you don't have the feel for blues, you can't play it, or play it well for that matter. Just keep playing blues, don't let them discourage you.
Uh, well in my school, yea, i am, because everybody there is obssessed with metal. Did u even read my post? lol...
i was really into old, old music in high school. ramblin jack elliot, pete seeger, woody guthrie, robert johnson, and then right on up til the late fifties with the electric blues scene. i played in a rock band, but would always play with a suit and tie on and my harmonica on a rack so i could bust of solos when i felt like it. most of the average music listeners thought it was just a gas. i never found any 'like minded' musicians i guess, and thats why i started doing my own thing and recording myself just stripped down and acoustic.

just try to explain to them that the blues is the only genre that one can not just play, but must feel.
Perfect example: Yesterday i was playing Mississippi John Hurt's "Since I Laid My Burden Down" for someone at school, and he asks "Is that like mario or something?" He then took the guitar and played something called "Buckets of Mud" or something like that and said "THAT is cooler".

Pathetic.
While I do agree that shredding can be a little barbaric and musically-lacking at times, metal is not a fad. You've got to realize, this is a high school thing, i remember when i went through it. You just latch on to the fastest guitarist you can find, and you automatically think he's the best, and that any form of music below that spends its time 200 bpm is sub-par.
Keep the adults busy, keep the children confused
Eight to twelve years, new laborers for the mines
For they shall be worked!
For they shall be worked! -
Kill the Client/Cleptocracy
all you have to do is do what the british blues guitarists did to the american blues guitarists,

learn they're songs, play it better than the originals, improvise here, add something there, but popularise it.

Get a good singer, a decent drummer and a kickass bassist and popularise blues, make it pop-blues and you'll be amazed how many metallers will stand up and take notice. Also it may take time but even the metallers will come to realise that blues is the supreme method of guitar playing
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
The blues is not about proving **** to other people. The blues is not about showing how good you are at guitar to others. The blues is about expressing your inner-most emotions and just taking your heart out of your chest and placing it on a plate for all to eat from. That is the blues.

You don't just play the blues, you gotta feel the blues and live the blues.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Quote by djrue211
The blues is not about proving **** to other people. The blues is not about showing how good you are at guitar to others. The blues is about expressing your inner-most emotions and just taking your heart out of your chest and placing it on a plate for all to eat from. That is the blues.

You don't just play the blues, you gotta feel the blues and live the blues.

Hear, hear!

I'm in High School just like you, but I'm still able to listen to other genres. I appreciate and listen to almost every genre, even though blues is the core of everything I play and is my favourite.

It's important not to be an elitist snob about metal, if not people will just discredit you as a moron, and if you judge their music like that. Well, then you probably are just that.

And, finding people who like the same music as you isn't impossible. I play in a pretty decent blues band, and we actually have a metal-listening drummer and bassist, but they still appreciate the blues.
If these people are such huge idiots, why do you care what they think or say?

Just do what you want to do and value the opinions of people you respect.