hi i play a lot of thrash metal and i was wondering what would be the best set for this squier strat that i am trying to beef up a lil bit...it is an SSS strat (3 single coil pick ups for u newbies) and i was thinkin about getting an EMG-SA set but i wanted to know other peoples opinions before buying. Can sum1 plz help me?

thanks in advance
So you just want a single coil for metal? why dont you just make it an HSS and put something high out put in the bridge?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Seymour duncan hotrails?
you could get a new pickguard and put a hot rails in the neck and an Invader at the bridge
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
i didnt think of that surprisingly but if i did make it an HSS wat would be a good set...i think emg makes a kirk hammett HSS set but other than that im clueless
yeah, the body should be routed H-S-H style. put a humbucker in the bridge and neck if you want.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
Quote by KILL EM ALLx666
hi i play a lot of thrash metal and i was wondering what would be the best set for this squier strat that i am trying to beef up a lil bit...it is an SSS strat (3 single coil pick ups for u newbies) and i was thinkin about getting an EMG-SA set but i wanted to know other peoples opinions before buying. Can sum1 plz help me?

thanks in advance

I use SAs in the mid and neck position of my guitar, and I like em. Get em, but do yourself a favor. Get the EMG-Afterburner (for the +/- 20dB of variable gain) and do the 18V mod, because active single coils are quiet.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I use SAs in the mid and neck position of my guitar, and I like em. Get em, but do yourself a favor. Get the EMG-Afterburner (for the +/- 20dB of variable gain) and do the 18V mod, because active single coils are quiet.

how much would all that cost cuz im kinda on like a 300$ budget
Quote by therealtater
I didnt read all the opening post my bad oh and sed is actually spelt said

i know im not quite that retarded but sed is quicker when typing that actually spelling out said... n e way back on topic...wat do u think i should get?
Quote by KILL EM ALLx666
i know im not quite that retarded but sed is quicker when typing that actually spelling out said... n e way back on topic...wat do u think i should get?

honestly idk Im look for new pickups for my fat strat right now Im lookin at hot rails and a seympur-duncan SH-5...but the SH-5 is a humbucker so...
Quote by therealtater
honestly idk Im look for new pickups for my fat strat right now Im lookin at hot rails and a seympur-duncan SH-5...but the SH-5 is a humbucker so...

yea but i can always get mine rewired and have a humbucker put in the bridge
Quote by IncendiumMortem
yeah, the body should be routed H-S-H style. put a humbucker in the bridge and neck if you want.

i could do that but i would need a new pickguard that would be hollowed out to hold that kind of set
Just buy a new pickguard, its like 20 bucks.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by KILL EM ALLx666

ROFL

this kid is serious

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by IncendiumMortem

Thats alot of work that can be avoided by just putting in a Seymour Duncan Hot rail in the bridge position.

The guys from maiden use single coil strats and they are as metal as you can get.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Super Distortion S or Tone Zone S in the bridge, maybe an Air Norton S in the neck? YJM for the middle. That'd be a pretty sweet Strat, one of these days I'm gonna buy another SSS Strat and set it up for heavier stuff.

EDIT - Annnnnd I just now looked at the OP date.
Last edited by stratman7 at Aug 10, 2009,
Go for H-S-H. With some Emg81's.
Last edited by Faded Grey at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by glenthemann
ROFL

this kid is serious

y did u bump this, honestly?
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
ok just so you know strats bodies are routed HSH so you could put in two humbuckers all you need is a new pickguard and since you didn't even know that i would probably just buy a prewired pickguard that is HSS or whatever you want.
Quote by gstacey1
y did u bump this, honestly?

was an accident, I was browsing for older threads on setting up a sss strat for heavier music, while still being able to keep that twangy bluesy tone

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
might mite rail pickups...got em in my strat and they are pretty vicious...to be honest they hold their own with my active emg 81's
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more