Page 1 of 2
i've become very interested in using the linux OS, but the main thing stopping me is that i wont be able to run microsoft programs, is this true, or is there ways to run microsoft programs on linux.

i use programs like Steam to play games. any answers would be great help
Wine to run games I think. I'm not too sure about other things, though.

EDIT: Yeah, Wine can run other things as well. I'm interested, which distribution are you planning to use? I want to run Linux when I get my laptop.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

You can run many Windows programs in Wine, but games are fairly hit and miss. I don't know about Steam. The best choice is go to the Wine website and check their application database.
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
also, ive been given the impression that linux is a bitch to install, true or false?
im sure that the linux community have made ways to make it work. you would have better luck finding a linux community site and doing some research, i highly doubt many people here have messed with the linux os. ive had very little work with linux but if i remember right one of the programs we put on it was netscape and it was a ms program. dont qoute me on that though its been a few years since ive messed with it.
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
also also, there are tons of different versions of linux... which one should i choose?
TURN BACK WHILE YOU CAN

Linux is a trap. It's incredibly amusing at first, being original.. Until things start to fall apart.

No, you will never understand Terminal. You will google all of the problems that start occuring, and begin to follow all of the directions, only to find out you have misplaced a piece of the syntax and everything on your computer is screwed.

You will end up wiping your computer multiple times. One day, like the rest of us, you may finally realize that despite the ****tiness, Vista may be the answer.

And then, as you gently tug on the handle of the drawer in which you had stored the installation disc...

There is nothing there.

tl;dr Linux isn't as great as it seems for average pc users, I'm a maniac at times, yes you can run some Windows programs but they may be ****.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Wylde14
also also, there are tons of different versions of linux... which one should i choose?

Try Ubuntu or something.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by Firequacker
TURN BACK WHILE YOU CAN

Linux is a trap. It's incredibly amusing at first, being original.. Until things start to fall apart.

No, you will never understand Terminal. You will google all of the problems that start occuring, and begin to follow all of the directions, only to find out you have misplaced a piece of the syntax and everything on your computer is screwed.

You will end up wiping your computer multiple times. One day, like the rest of us, you may finally realize that despite the ****tiness, Vista may be the answer.

And then, as you gently tug on the handle of the drawer in which you had stored the installation disc...

There is nothing there.

tl;dr Linux isn't as great as it seems for average pc users, I'm a maniac at times, yes you can run some Windows programs but they may be ****.

wtf is terminal, and why do i need to mess with it?
Terminal is like those MS-DOS windows. Several programs require you to use Terminal to install them, as they are not pre-packaged to be installed with just a click. It's quite a hassle... In my opinion.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Wylde14
wtf is terminal, and why do i need to mess with it?

Unless you're pretty handy-dandy with computers, Linux isn't quite as fun. Just throwing it out there.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

i wouldnt say im a Luddite by any means, but im no techno geek either, i just want an OS that runs fast, doesent take up an ass load of space, and doesn't crash every 3 minutes
I would be all over Linux if I could play all my games with ease. If you are not fairly computer-smart I would not install Linux. Ubuntu has come a long way in making it idiot proof, but you will run into problems where you may get lost without a geek to guide you through it.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Quote by puffycow
I would be all over Linux if I could play all my games with ease. If you are not fairly computer-smart I would not install Linux. Ubuntu has come a long way in making it idiot proof, but you will run into problems where you may get lost without a geek to guide you through it.

well that's what the internet is for isnt it?
It's more secure among other things. It simply won't run "some" windows programs but I know a bunch of games and such work on it. I have 2 computers with it 1 is my server for my network and the other i play games on. Linux is for more advanced users though it's much harder to use than windows unless you know what you're doing. Also I prefer to use Linux SuSe!
XxXCaptainKipXxX
Just dual boot. You shouldn't be running Linux alone if you don't even know what the terminal is, anyway.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Wylde14
well that's what the internet is for isnt it?

It is. You can just try it out for a few weeks and see what happens. If you can find everything you will need then awesome. And as mentioned above, get friendly in an online community for linux users.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando

touch me
you wont have wifi when you first install. so if its your only comp. dual boot
Child of the Fence and Guitar n00b.
Quote by Dilpickle1

Ubuntu has it.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando

touch me
Quote by Wylde14
well it sounds like i wont be using linux any time soon

You can try it out. Just set up at dual boot between Windows and Linux. You can do some cool things with Linux, including this:

That's my desktop.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Wylde14
well it sounds like i wont be using linux any time soon

You know you can use it without having to install it, right? Burn a live CD and play with it. There's really no reason not to.
Quote by Dilpickle1

yeah i have a wireless network card in here, that will definately cause problems wont it
Quote by convictionless
linux is a hackers OS

That is one of the dumbest things I've heard in the pit.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by Wylde14
yeah i have a wireless network card in here, that will definately cause problems wont it
Ubuntu works fine with wireless cards now, The wireless thing is a problem that was solved years ago, yet there are still clueless idiots telling people that wireless doesn't work with Linux.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Ubuntu works fine with wireless cards now, The wireless thing is a problem that was solved years ago, yet there are still clueless idiots telling people that wireless doesn't work with Linux.

hmm, well how do i boot it onto a usb drive? do i just download it onto there and it works or what?
Quote by puffycow
Ubuntu has it.

after you get it to reconize you have wifi.

which.. isnt easy.

also, OP. wanna try it out? Run the LiveCd of like, ubuntu or something. I personally like kubuntu 8.10 for prettyness.
Quote by Wylde14
hmm, well how do i boot it onto a usb drive? do i just download it onto there and it works or what?
At present I believe you need an installed version of Ubuntu to create a USB boot disc.

If you want to try it download the iso and burn it, set your cd drive as your primary boot device and boot up with the cd in the drive, you get the option to run the OS from the cd without installing.

So you can test your hardware before installing.

If you're a big gamer though don't expect to run brand new games on Linux any time soon after their release, typically it takes a while for the wine project to catch up with modern games. They've got Half life 2 running well in wine, but farcry 2 is probably completely unplayable right now.
Linux is terrible if you are used to Microsoft Windows. I had an experience with installing Linux for my three times already installed Windows computer, and it was a bad one. I mean, the installation was fine, just using the OS was impossible unless you know what you are doing.
Quote by freedoms_stain

if it doesnt have wifi when i first install. then it doesnt work fine with wireless cards.
Quote by freedoms_stain
At present I believe you need an installed version of Ubuntu to create a USB boot disc.

If you want to try it download the iso and burn it, set your cd drive as your primary boot device and boot up with the cd in the drive, you get the option to run the OS from the cd without installing.

So you can test your hardware before installing.

If you're a big gamer though don't expect to run brand new games on Linux any time soon after their release, typically it takes a while for the wine project to catch up with modern games. They've got Half life 2 running well in wine, but farcry 2 is probably completely unplayable right now.

i play team fortress 2 and garrys mod, and other older games like that. i'm already pretty sure tf2 works, and id assume garrys mod would too
I am pretty sure Steam does not work with Linux yet, and I know for a fact WC3 and SCBW on battle.net do not work.
Quote by Dilpickle1
if it doesnt have wifi when i first install. then it doesnt work fine with wireless cards.
Well that's not what you said at 1st, the way you put it made wifi on Linus look like a horribly daunting impossibley complex task that no 1st time Linus user could possibly overcome, which in light of you more recent post, would appear to be bullshit.

I'm using wireless with Ubuntu right now, and all I had to do was plug in the card and away she went.
Quote by Wylde14
i play team fortress 2 and garrys mod, and other older games like that. i'm already pretty sure tf2 works, and id assume garrys mod would too
Yeah, TF2 works, no idea about garrys mod, but since it's source engine based I assume there'd be no problem. http://www.winehq.org/ Look it up in the wine app database, the rank programs from garbage to platinum, garbage being unusable, platinum being perfect.
Quote by strawberryJAMZ
I am pretty sure Steam does not work with Linux yet, and I know for a fact WC3 and SCBW on battle.net do not work.
Wrong.

Steam is in their top 10 Gold apps list

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1554
Quote by freedoms_stain

Not true, though it does work with most. I don't have Broadcom wireless, yet linux refuses to acknowledge that it's there. I tried every fix that was available, but nothing works. I'm happily playing games on Vista now, and unlike the four versions of ubuntu I trued, am bug free and have no programs or services that randomly stop working. In fact, in my 2 years of using it I've not had a single issue with Vista. Not one.

Seriously...if you have to jump through flaming hoops of death to get things to work, when all you want to do is use the thing for general, everyday stuff, what's the point? Don't get me wrong, I was quite happy with it until gusty broke down on me(wireless worked fine on it), and there are definitely plenty of uses for it, but for the everyday user windows really is better.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Well that's not what you said at 1st, the way you put it made wifi on Linus look like a horribly daunting impossibley complex task that no 1st time Linus user could possibly overcome, which in light of you more recent post, would appear to be bullshit.

I'm using wireless with Ubuntu right now, and all I had to do was plug in the card and away she went.
Yeah, TF2 works, no idea about garrys mod, but since it's source engine based I assume there'd be no problem. http://www.winehq.org/ Look it up in the wine app database, the rank programs from garbage to platinum, garbage being unusable, platinum being perfect.
Wrong.

Steam is in their top 10 Gold apps list

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1554

then maybe ubuntu just doesnt like atheros. cuz it was a pain in the ass to get it. actually, it wasnt till the release of 8.10 that i got wifi, due to the fact they included 2 packages that got it up in running.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Not true, though it does work with most. I don't have Broadcom wireless, yet linux refuses to acknowledge that it's there. I tried every fix that was available, but nothing works. I'm happily playing games on Vista now, and unlike the four versions of ubuntu I trued, am bug free and have no programs or services that randomly stop working. In fact, in my 2 years of using it I've not had a single issue with Vista. Not one.

Seriously...if you have to jump through flaming hoops of death to get things to work, when all you want to do is use the thing for general, everyday stuff, what's the point? Don't get me wrong, I was quite happy with it until gusty broke down on me(wireless worked fine on it), and there are definitely plenty of uses for it, but for the everyday user windows really is better.
So you haven't tried a Linux distro in 2 years?

Anyhoo that's why they have the live cd, if your hardware doesn't work you leave it alone, chances are your hardware will be supported in a future release.

I've hard precisely zero issues with Ubuntu and everything in my box is less than 1-2 years old tech wise.
Quote by freedoms_stain
So you haven't tried a Linux distro in 2 years?

Three days, actually. I dual-booted hardy for quite some time to run Ardour, and have been playing with DSL lately.
Nope, no sig here.
Page 1 of 2