Alright, so I've recently become completely committed to the idea of building my next guitar.

Granted, I'm going to take it the easy way out (so to speak) by buying separate parts so that I might put it together rather than start from scratch. As much as I like set-neck design, it'll just be easier that way. And if bolt-on is good enough for players and tone-freaks like Steve Vai and EVH, then I think I can handle it.

I've decided that I'm going to go with one of two designs.

1) Strat
Maple neck and ebony fretboard
no inlays
Alder body
22 frets, 25.5 scale
Kramer-style Headstock
Black paintjob, white binding, black pickguard also with white binding
H-S-S (EMG 81, SV, SV)
Chrome Hardware
OFR

2) Same thing, but 7 strings

Basically, I love Van Halen (though I realize the pickups and such say otherwise). But instead of just trying to copy exactly what he did, I'm trying to embark on my own sort of quest in finding the ultimate tone to my ears. Or at least building a guitar unique to myself that I love and am proud of.

Also, as much as I like the paintjob/color scheme described above, I want to do something more exciting, but have yet to think of what.

As it stands, I was going to try and get everything I can from Warmoth. Does anyone here know how good their stuff really is?
Warmoth is fine, but if you're looking for highest quality - i'd go with Carvin. I made a thru- body guitar and though i made and designed the entire guitar, i purchased the neck from Carvin, and am more than satisfied with the quality of the neck. I also have a guitar made by carvin (which is how i knew about the very high neck quality) which is a bolt - on design, and again, it's quite superb.
oh, another thing, regardless of who you get the parts from, if you're planning on doing a 7-string (which i wouldn't recommend unless you have experience with one) you should use a 24 fret neck.
Oh, yeah, of course. I forgot to mention that the 7-string would be 24 frets instead. So would the other one, if I can.

And I'll be sure to check out Carvin, I didn't know they made separate parts you could buy.

Question, though. How do you do a set-neck with the parts you've bought?
glue a slab of wood on each side of the neck (where the body should be) and then just saw and sand away until you have the design you want. That's what i did anyways, i don't think they make kits for set necks though
*GAC*

if you don't like what i have to say-shove it