Page 1 of 2
Like who likes buying a guitar, amp, etc. and, over time, mod it like crazy.

Like buy a Gibson SG and, after like 5 years, somehow install a Floyd Rose, a seventh string, a new pick guard, etc.

Or like buying a Mesa stack and adding a Charlie Brown faceplate, put new knobs, etc.
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
No sorry. I will probably end up modding when I have an income though.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
i would like to see this sg
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
Quote by king~olievo

pics or it didn't happen

and no i don't last time i modded mine i screwed it up
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
A Floyd Rose on an SG? A bigsby would be more realistic
I leik music
Quote by king~olievo

+1 I smell BS!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by metalmanjosip
pics or it didn't happen

and no i don't last time i modded mine i screwed it up

lol i was completely exaggerating to give an example, but seeing an SG with a FR would be interesting
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
i usually end up modding everything i own but not to the extent where it so different from the original that it's unrecognizable. just little things to better suit the item in question to my needs.

take my viper for example;

picture --> http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mikeyElite/pictures/gear/404334/

my favorite mod job, it's got an active 81 in the bridge and a passive duncan sh-2 in the neck with an on-on mini toggle for selecting pups.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I love modding stuff. I had my Jimmie vaughan for a week before it had a new pickguard and a locking tuners. I've been through about 6 pickups on it and I've replaced all the electronics a few times and moved on to a different pickguard.

I had my blues jr for a week or two before the chassis was out and I was modding it to be biased and modding the tone stack. It doesn't have any original tubes either.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yea, I like having something original and made to my personal tastes. I am thinking about painting my Soloist (I am an Artist by profession) but I'm not sure what to put on it. I was thinking of airbrushing a snakeskin type thing.
I usually slightly mod everything, with new pickups, blocking trem, etc. Right now, my Dean has EMG 81/60 combo, a blocked trem, and Im thinking about getting an onboard gain booster for it. I owned a squier that I completely redid to the point where it is the most badass guitar Ive seen, with a flat black finish, diamond plate pickguard, and a crazy weird cut out headstock. But no adding 7th strings yet, haha.
I do mod my equipment a bit with a basic pup swap, LFR to OFR swap, Electronics swap, and hardware swap.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
I wouldn't call putting a new faceplate and new knobs "modding the crap" out of an amp. Changing the appearance is more like it...

I am in the process of modding my JTM45 to run el34s (not really a real mod, it involves swapping a few resistor values and re-biasing), solid state rectification (again, not a real mod), split cathode, and switching the OT out for a JTM50 OT.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 14, 2008,
Haha if only SG's where thick enough to have a FR
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
^who knows, maybe one day the company will make a more compact, yet equally effective FR
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
My pedals.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
The only original parts left on my strat are the trem claw and two of the springs.
My LP just has the original truss rod cover, pickguard, knobs, selector switch ring, and pickup rings.
Yup, constantly. My 'number one' is a RI '62 Custom Tele which I've repeatedly attacked with drill, chisel and solding iron:

I've now also scalloped frets 12-21
i mostly do electronic mods rather than visual so there's no point in pics. currently i have a rewired squier strat with the middle pickup wired in the wrong way for out of phase tones, i also have a push/pull pot in my SG to do the same thing except that it is switchable.

i'm thinking of making an ultimate "loads of different tones" guitar out of some generic dual humbucker guitar at some point. it will include every possible pickup/coil combination known to man. it features a 6-way rotary selector switch for each pickup so each humbucker can do these combinations:

1. Standard humbucking (both coils in series)
2. Parallel humbucking (both coils in parralel)
3. Twanky (both coils in series and out of phase)
4. Twankier (both coils in parallel and out of phase)
5. Single coil 1
6. Single coil 2 (the other coil)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well, I'm changing pickups and bridge on my guitar, and sooner or later I'm going to replace the entire neck and repaint it. Probably going to find some crazy circuitry to load it with as well, more for the sake of it than anything. Yes, I know modding for the sake of modding isn't sensible but that's half of the fun of gear for me.

As for my amp, I'm not too clued in on that, although I'm certainly going to give my Valveking a speaker change, tube change and rebias and do the thing where you bridge the R100 resistor, or something similar. I might look in to wiring in an attenuator and possibly a graphic EQ, probably by buying a good equaliser and taking the circuits and putting them in the right place.

Of course, I can't say which of these mods are silly ideas, but they all seem realistic enough to me.
Only thing clsoe to a mod im conssidering atm is sticking in a vintage ashtray 3-saddle style bridge into my tele, will take a bit of drilling, but nothing difficult.

Then some new pups and pickguard for my jag.
Quote by beckyjc
Only thing clsoe to a mod im conssidering atm is sticking in a vintage ashtray 3-saddle style bridge into my tele, will take a bit of drilling, but nothing difficult.

Then some new pups and pickguard for my jag.

because of discussing jaguars/jazzmasters with you in the laney thread you've just reminded me that my post above is wrong - i do plan to change the pickguard on my jazzmaster when i get it - the shop i'm buying it from says they might be able to get an official red-ish tortoiseshell pickguard from somewhere, so i'll replace the white with one of those, if not, i'll get a pearloid - anything would look better than the white pickguard - there's just too much white constrasting against the red sparkly finish for my taste.

what pickguard do you plan on getting for your jag?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i mostly do electronic mods rather than visual so there's no point in pics. currently i have a rewired squier strat with the middle pickup wired in the wrong way for out of phase tones, i also have a push/pull pot in my SG to do the same thing except that it is switchable.

i'm thinking of making an ultimate "loads of different tones" guitar out of some generic dual humbucker guitar at some point. it will include every possible pickup/coil combination known to man. it features a 6-way rotary selector switch for each pickup so each humbucker can do these combinations:

1. Standard humbucking (both coils in series)
2. Parallel humbucking (both coils in parralel)
3. Twanky (both coils in series and out of phase)
4. Twankier (both coils in parallel and out of phase)
5. Single coil 1
6. Single coil 2 (the other coil)

ever hear of a PRS 513?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I cant have anything stock - maybe apart from a 70s Les Paul Custom.

But these days, as you can see from my gear list - nothing has really been left as it was.....
I modify guitars quite a bit, mostly beacuse I've never found one that was "perfect." At heart I'm really a Strat player, but there are a few things I always find myself needing to do.

1. Frets always need to be changed. Most Strats have narrow frets that aren't very tall, I like very tall, very thick frets. Also, Fender necks are finished in polyurethane laquer, I prefer oiled maple or nitrocellulose laquers.
2. Strat bridges are woeful. When money comes my way, the six-screw trems are being replaced with Callaham trems and the two-post trems are being replaced with Gotoh 510TS-FE1s.
3. Traditional Strat wiring doesn't suit me. I use a push/pull volume pot to toggle the bridge singlecoil independently of the 5-way, I star-ground and I wire the neck and middle singlecoils to the first tone pot, the bridge singlecoil to the second.
4. Most Strats have terrible stock pickups. They're going to be changed for Callaham/Fralins and Suhrs.
5. I hate singlecoil hum. For that reason I'm installing Suhr BPSSC systems.
6. I prefer bone nuts to plastic.

You'd think I'd just have the sense to order a custom Suhr Classic and a Vigier Expert. I really think I'd be sorted for life with those two.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I'm getting my amp modded atm. Next I plan to switch out the pups in both of my guitars, and then mod my wah.

So yes, I'm getting into it.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I've switched the pups on both my guitars to Seymour duncans and put schaller locker on both em also... I plan on putting a kahler on my strat.

I put a Vintage 30 in my laney an I also build alot of my own pedals I also rewired my strat
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
why cant an SG have a FR a les paul can have a FR why cant the SG have one????????
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Changing tubes and pickups is NOT modding.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
Changing tubes and pickups is NOT modding.

well, if you CHANGE something, than you are making a MODIFICATION. and MODDING is short for MODIFICATION. however you need to draw the line somewhere. i can see someone saying that changing tubes isnt necessarily modding, but changing pickups is another story. i cant see someone trying to argue that a pup change isnt a mod.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I've never done any mods to my stuff, since I don't know how to use the solder iron, and I'm scared I'll fudge something up really badly. I may try fiddling with my Ibanez once I get a new guitar, so at least I'll have a backup. I think I'll get some cheapo pickups and tuners and just practice changing them out. Hopefully, once I have a good guitar, I'll be able to swap pickups, tuners, etc. and make it even better.
Saint Louis Blues
Page 1 of 2