Our band has taken a completely different turn, we changed genres, are making worse, music and such. There are very little musicians in our area, quite alot of guitarists, two drummers, no vocalists, I'm working with one of the two drummers and all the other vocalists are in a band and wont quit so what should I do? Should I quit or take charge? Mind you my position is minor, I'm a rhythm guitarist.
Guitars:
Epi G-310
Schecter C1 FR
Jackson 7 string
Brand New Dean DOF For sale PM if interested

Amps:
Blackheart little giant
Peavey Valveking

Other gear:
Bad monkey overdrive
Boss noise suppressor
bring it up, that you dont like where the band's heading. If the other members agree, then you can try working on steering back to [whatever genre you think you should steer towards]. If they like the new direction, then thats just how it is...

it's not worth it to stay in a band for the sake of being a band if you dont like the music you're playing..
Either learn how to become a singer yourself (which is what I did) or go where the singers are. Because, really, a band without a singer is dead in the water. Latch onto the best singers and you'll get shows, and a variety of other good experiences.

Don't try to lure the singers away to 'your' band. Look for opportunities to involve yourself with the singers, and you become part of 'their' band.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Either learn how to become a singer yourself (which is what I did) or go where the singers are. Because, really, a band without a singer is dead in the water. Latch onto the best singers and you'll get shows, and a variety of other good experiences.

Don't try to lure the singers away to 'your' band. Look for opportunities to involve yourself with the singers, and you become part of 'their' band.

CT

Most times but not always. Though 95% of popular bands have singers, if you are an amazing guitarest you can get away with not having any vocals. Michael Angelo Batio, Paul Gilbert, and John Pettruci are a couple of examples. Though a singer does help.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by xEpidemicx
Most times but not always. Though 95% of popular bands have singers, if you are an amazing guitarest you can get away with not having any vocals. Michael Angelo Batio, Paul Gilbert, and John Pettruci are a couple of examples. Though a singer does help.

Good point, but to be honest 95% of people who listen to this stuff are musicians themselves. UNless you're unbelieveably talented, no-on on the local circuit is going to give a damn - the vocals are vital.

Best bet is to learn to sing yourself, with a bit of confidence almost anyone can become a good frontman....
Quote by kyle62
Good point, but to be honest 95% of people who listen to this stuff are musicians themselves. UNless you're unbelieveably talented, no-on on the local circuit is going to give a damn - the vocals are vital.

Best bet is to learn to sing yourself, with a bit of confidence almost anyone can become a good frontman....

Yeah thats a good point too. And no one will listen to your demo's if there are no vocals. They will listen to the first 30 seconds and get bored. Unless the guitar is REALLY good.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by xEpidemicx

Batio was in Nitro (which had a vocalist)
Gilbert was in Mr. Big and Racer X (which had vocalists)
Pettruci is in Dream Theater (which has a Vocalist)
Vai was with zappa and whitesnake for a while
Yngwie's Rising Force/ and also Alcatrazz had vocals

The only really out there amazing guitarists that stand out are probably Greg Howe, Joe Satriani, and John Mclaughlin (off the top of my head, there are many more, but they are not in the scene)

These guys got thier starts in traditional bands with vocals

A good vocalist is vital to the survival of a band- What would Deep Purple be with out Ian Gillian, what would Judas Priest be with out Rob Halford, what would The Who be without Roger Daltrey?
If you've got a ****ty vocalist with no presence, you're boned.
I say talk to the guys in your band about the direction you feel things are taking, and if they disagree, than do your own thing.
^ agreed.

There's this local band, (not mine, i assure you) one we've done a gig or two with in the past, that have probably been around for perhaps 2 years or so. When they first started, they recorded and put their songs on myspace, although the singer is fair average, people noticed how good the music was, and that because they were only 13-14, maybe the singer would get better. Then of course, they got a new bass player, who could sing very well, so they now had 2 singers (they kept the crap one on because they didn't want to make him feel bad) and gained more fans because of the bass player. Then of course, the bass player left, because he wanted to be in another mate's band, therefore leaving this band back with their old singer. one year after that happened, they have a hardly-existant fanbase as people have figured that their singer won't get better, and that they should get a new one.

So basically what i think, is that your better off starting with a singer, then no singer, but you'll need to make sure you work on it, as people will get tired of it.

Apologies as always for the wall of text.