how would one go about doing this. i tried googling it, all i got was fender neon strat or w.e and car neon lights.

i would assume you would have to work it into the power supply some how, or have a battery and a kill switch some where.
Well, maybe this would work?

http://www.xpcgear.com/casemodding.html

I am a pretty big computer nerd, and I've always dreamed of having a light up PC case. These lights could be of use to you.

As for powering it, I would wait for Kurtlives91, SomeoneYouKnew, or Invader Jim, they know a lot about electronics.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
The question is, do you want it to to glow on and off in synq with your playing, or do you just what them on when the amp's on?
just on when the amp is on. even if theres just a separate switch or button i have to use to turn em on.

unless flashing with the volume and playing is way easy then that would be cool.

also, i play a vox ad100vt. where would they look the best?
Well, the flashing while playing isn't all that easy. I'm in the middle of studying for my electrical engineering degree and I'm not too sure EXACTLY how that is accomplished, but I have an idea. On the other hand, just having separate ones that have their own switch wouldn't be hard at all. Try putting them above the speakers next to the Vox logo and on the ides of the amp. Where are you getting these lights?
Quote by Thrall
Well, the flashing while playing isn't all that easy. I'm in the middle of studying for my electrical engineering degree and I'm not too sure EXACTLY how that is accomplished, but I have an idea. On the other hand, just having separate ones that have their own switch wouldn't be hard at all. Try putting them above the speakers next to the Vox logo and on the ides of the amp. Where are you getting these lights?

You could wire the ligts to the speaker therefor it acts as a resistor, variating the light when you play
idk it was just a quick idea i had when i was discussing how the H&K mk1 doesnt light up with my other guitarist in my band and i was like dude lets put neons in ur mk1 and ill do it too.
Quote by divinorum69
You could wire the ligts to the speaker therefor it acts as a resistor, variating the light when you play

That's possible, assuming that electricity is only running through the speakers when you're playing. But then you have to consider whether or not the neon lights operate at the same voltage and current that the speakers do, which is unlikely considering that amps have transformers in them and most neon lights are designed to plug into a 120V cicruit. Furthermore, adding another resistor would mean that you have to consider the new level of resistance. Since the head and cab are matched up by the speakers resistivity, then an imbalance could negatively affect the performance of the amp, although I doubt that neon lights are that high in resistance. Also, are neon lights dimmable? I ask because the volume of the electrical signal is not constant and and change in current through the light means a change in the wattage of power being applied to the light, which is more or less exactly what a dimmer does. I know that most CFL bulbs (the spiral flourescents) are not dimmable, and neons might not be either.
Quote by Thrall
That's possible, assuming that electricity is only running through the speakers when you're playing. But then you have to consider whether or not the neon lights operate at the same voltage and current that the speakers do, which is unlikely considering that amps have transformers in them and most neon lights are designed to plug into a 120V cicruit. Furthermore, adding another resistor would mean that you have to consider the new level of resistance. Since the head and cab are matched up by the speakers resistivity, then an imbalance could negatively affect the performance of the amp, although I doubt that neon lights are that high in resistance. Also, are neon lights dimmable? I ask because the volume of the electrical signal is not constant and and change in current through the light means a change in the wattage of power being applied to the light, which is more or less exactly what a dimmer does. I know that most CFL bulbs (the spiral flourescents) are not dimmable, and neons might not be either.

You are correct. I just made an assumption.
Quote by divinorum69
You are correct. I just made an assumption.

It wasn't a bad idea though. My friend has a Fender Rumble in which they put a light (which I think is neon) in the amp that acts exactly as we were discussing, but they most likely had to have the light fixture made especially for the amp in order for it to fit the specifications required. I might be able to talk him into letting me take his amp apart to look at it, but it would probably be just as easy to find an elecrical diagram of it online somewhere.
yah i think if i even go through with it ill just hook it up to a battery in the back. if its just cosmetic stuff i would rather not tamper with the amp itself for it would ruin the resale value if i do it wrong.
Quote by Brokntragedy
yah i think if i even go through with it ill just hook it up to a battery in the back. if its just cosmetic stuff i would rather not tamper with the amp itself for it would ruin the resale value if i do it wrong.

Yeah, but you'll probably have to screw the lights into the housing of the amp, which will lower the resale value. That or use a sticky substance like tape or velcro, which might either leave residue when removed or peel of some of the tolex with it. Your call. I would say wait until you get an amp that you won't plan on selling.
wont neon lights make ur amp hum leke when you play near those big flourescent tube lights
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by Thrall
Yeah, but you'll probably have to screw the lights into the housing of the amp, which will lower the resale value. That or use a sticky substance like tape or velcro, which might either leave residue when removed or peel of some of the tolex with it. Your call. I would say wait until you get an amp that you won't plan on selling.

its pretty simple to remove glue residue with some goo-gone. but i didnt htink of velco or anything before. thanks for the idea
Quote by Dan shreds
wont neon lights make ur amp hum leke when you play near those big flourescent tube lights

i have no idea, ive never heard of that?
I have wanted to do this on the inside of my V3 head for awhile. Instead of neon though I wanted to use blue LED strips and put one on the top and bottom of the head on the inside.

How would I go about wiring the led strips into something on the inside so that they turn on when the amp is on?
I'm with Dan shreds. Flourescent lights would cause a problem. LEDs should be no problem, though.
Yeah, if you want it just to be seen, your best bet are LEDs.

ENGL Powerball has red LEds behind the power tubes, looks killer

Quote by Dan shreds

+1
Last edited by bazuriya at May 18, 2009,