I know this sounds like a dumb question but I have a baby on the way and I would really like to be able to continue recording however I just got my new Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 and unlike my old Vox AD50VT when I plug a cable into the Line Out you still have power going to the speaker, I know I could get an attenuator or use my BB+ to contain some of the amps incredible volume but if there was a way to completely mute the speaker that would be awesome.
Hi Kevin, yes it is 30 watts, although you can switch it to run on 2 tubes at 15 watts and then triode mode instead of pentode mode to make it 7.5 watts, even then I'd still like to record without sound from the speaker. I'll check out that load dump, sounds interesting!
Yeah, you just need a small one. Set it to max attenuation and it can be dummy load, which means you don't have to use a speaker. The 25 watter is 50 bucks, definitely worth it. and would work perfect. If you do get a 25 watter keep in mind, you'd have to set the amp no higher than 15 watt mode or risk damaging the attenuator.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Always here to help. Something else to look into would be building one of those on your own, I think roc (one of the mods, his name is at the bottom of the page)built one for his amp, shoot him a PM and see what he says. Since you don't need any output from your "attenuator" it probably wouldn't be hard to build one, and certainly much cheaper.
Go to your local radio shack and get two of those 16ohm, 25 watt resistors. Hook them up in parallel across a 1/4 jack and put them in a well-ventilated enclosure.
You now have a $10 mute box.
Just plug the amp straight into the mute box, no speaker needed.