Im looking to upgrade to something thatll let me start playing shows. Right now Im playing a ibanez gsr200 through a 60watt behringer, which has been fine for jamming in the basement, but we want to start doing shows and I know Im going to need to upgrade. Im looking for some suggestions of things I should try out next time I go to the store. Some useful information:
- looking to spend about $900-$1000 total for bass and amp hopefully.
- was thinking about a 5string.
- band plays metal similar to in flames/opeth/bodom.
- guitarists are both playing through halfstacks(forget the wattage) and we have a rather sizeable pa(again I forget the wattage).

I plan on trying stuff out before I make a decision, but I was hoping you guys could help me narrow it down.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
60 watt amp should be fine. you have to multiply wattage by a factor of 5 to get twice as much volume (in other words, you would need a 300 watt amp to achive double volume). Our old bass player played all our shows with his 100 watt fender rumble 15" with the volume on 3. You should be fine.
^ by a factor of 10 actually, but that's only if they have the same cab. Bigger amps usually have bigger cabs, meaning they are much louder.

TS, I CBA to research amps again right now, but check musician's friend, sam ash, and whatever other large retailers you can find and pick a few that look good to you. Same with basses. Report back to us with that, and we'll have a much better idea of your tastes.

In that price range, the main amp brands the bass forum will generally recommend are Acoustic, Ashdown, Peavey, Laney, and some others....it all depends on what you like though.

Main questions:
What type of tone do you like?
What type of music do you play?
How do you like your bass to feel?
Do aesthetics matter?
If so, what sort of bass do you like?
How large are your gigs, if any?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by Thrall
60 watt amp should be fine. you have to multiply wattage by a factor of 5 to get twice as much volume (in other words, you would need a 300 watt amp to achive double volume). Our old bass player played all our shows with his 100 watt fender rumble 15" with the volume on 3. You should be fine.

Either you never played anything bigger than a basement or no one ever heard him. 100w won't get you very far in a gig situation.

TS, I'd aim for 200-300w, and stay away from Beringer. Like has been said, check stuff out and report back with what you like.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
TS, I'd aim for 200-300w, and stay away from Beringer.

This. And with your price range, worry more about the amp than a bass. If you are really budgeted, do not go for a 5 string, because for the price you spend on a bass you will want a quality 4 rather than a lower quality 5.

Also, give us specs on the PA system and who uses it. This could mean DI time.