It was pretty impressive. Sunburst with a dark tortoiseshell pickguard, reminiscent of SRV's #1. It was good, but it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. Played like butter though, as the finish on the neck was completely worn off. If some guy gave me 50 grand, I wouldn't buy it, as I could get a re-issue and a full Marshall stack for about 5 grand, while the Strat itself costed about $40,000... but if I had a million dollars, sure.

Anyway, I just wanted to let my fellow UGers know that vintage guitars aren't as awesome as everyone makes them out to be.
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
I've played a 61 too, I think they are definately worth the 4 or 5 thousand you'd shell out for a beat up one, but not worth 40,000 for a mint one no
Quote by trashbeast
I've played a 61 too, I think they are definately worth the 4 or 5 thousand you'd shell out for a beat up one, but not worth 40,000 for a mint one no

The least it would go for would be 20 thousand... 70's strats go for around 4 or 5 though.
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
Vintage guitars are worth some prices($2,500 1974 Les Paul Deluxe a local store used to have). Others not(That strat). If the custom shop reisue is cheaper though, I'd just get the CS RI.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Taniel_24
Anyway, I just wanted to let my fellow UGers know that vintage guitars aren't as awesome as everyone makes them out to be.

They are they just appeal in different ways to different people. To you that guitar didn't say anything. Ok yea its a '61 Strat but it didn't sound like you connected with it. The 2 I got I connected with right away and for different reasons each. Not all guitars are like this for me of course. I've seen some kick ass guitars new and old that said nothing to me when I saw them. So I think that has a lot to do with it as a player. Then there are other factors such as having a guitar from a certain era/timeline which appeals to a lot of people (like me) and so on. Maybe you were expecting some miracle, like holding the holy grail or something and had a let down cause it was still just a guitar.

Edit:

If you're looking at history of the guitar, its character/mojo, and the fact that they're not made anymore (doesn't apply to all) then theres a huge appeal. Besides some just like the fact of having their stuff worn in and not fake relic'd etc
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by DSOTM80
They are they just appeal in different ways to different people. To you that guitar didn't say anything. Ok yea its a '61 Strat but it didn't sound like you connected with it. The 2 I got I connected with right away and for different reasons each. Not all guitars are like this for me of course. I've seen some kick ass guitars new and old that said nothing to me when I saw them. So I think that has a lot to do with it as a player. Then there are other factors such as having a guitar from a certain era/timeline which appeals to a lot of people (like me) and so on. Maybe you were expecting some miracle, like holding the holy grail or something and had a let down cause it was still just a guitar.

Edit:

If you're looking at history of the guitar, its character/mojo, and the fact that they're not made anymore (doesn't apply to all) then theres a huge appeal. Besides some just like the fact of having their stuff worn in and not fake relic'd etc

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I'd buy it in a heartbeat... but I don't. The whole pre-CBS era of Fenders appeals to me. And if it wasn't so cheesy, I'd relic my guitar. I love the worn-down look.
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
Quote by Taniel_24
Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I'd buy it in a heartbeat... but I don't. The whole pre-CBS era of Fenders appeals to me. And if it wasn't so cheesy, I'd relic my guitar. I love the worn-down look.

Yea I get what you're saying. My case is easier as the era and the type of guitars I like don't cost thousands and relic'ing is cheesy. I never saw the point, besides don't people think about how that relic'd guitar will look like in ohhh I dunno 20 years? If you make it rusty and all now it'll be a piece of sh*t 20 years from now
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Vintage guitars are not always the best palying or sounding guitars but they do bring in the big $$$. A lot of collectors don't buy them for the playability they buy them as investments. I hate Strats and Teles but if I get a deal on a good vintage one I know I turn around fast for a buck I'll buy it and turn right around and resell it. When I was collecting Gibsons there were a lot I hated but I knew they were worth money so I would buy them hang on to them for a while and sell them. I just wish Ebay was around back then I probably would have a boat load of doung in the bank. Vintage guitar prices have gone thru the roof since my heavy collecting days truthfully as far as playability they are not worth spit but as a collectable they are worth 10s of thousands of dollars. There is a handfull of guitars I have sold back in the day that I wish I still had, not because they were nice to play, some were horrible but just 12 of those guitars right now would be worth a million dollars or more.

As far as a Relic guitars go they are just a way for guitar companies to screw you out of your hard earned dough. GC has a SRV Strat for $17.000.00 PLEASE! It's a new strat and probably will never be worth $17.000.00 again in your life time. No matter how well they do to it they can't recreate true vintage they can only make it look vintage. I think they are hoping to get that sucker that's born every minute to buy one! LOL

John
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
old guitars are ripoffs, no 59' Les Paul is worth the money

unless you have fat fingers and more money than sense... and you wear a top hat... and you have long, fluffy hear... and you used to play for guns 'n' roses... and your name starts with s- and ends with -lash.

anyway, if I had the money, I would buy a vintage, but i don't have any money full stop.

i spent it all on rock band for the PS2, flame away...
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
I played a 1962 Strat in Boston that was priced at $36,000.

It was clunky as hell to play, but the sound was awesome. Very woody and full of character.
Quote by mcfreaki
unless you have fat fingers and more money than sense... and you wear a top hat... and you have long, fluffy hear... and you used to play for guns 'n' roses... and your name starts with s- and ends with -lash.

Even Slash didn't play an actual '59 Les Paul. He played a replica.
Quote by Taniel_24
It was pretty impressive. Sunburst with a dark tortoiseshell pickguard, reminiscent of SRV's #1. It was good, but it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. Played like butter though, as the finish on the neck was completely worn off. If some guy gave me 50 grand, I wouldn't buy it, as I could get a re-issue and a full Marshall stack for about 5 grand, while the Strat itself costed about $40,000... but if I had a million dollars, sure.

what did you expect? at 40,000.00 your paying for the rarity not the dreamy play. you will pay a butt load of money for an old mustang, only to find out a newer honda is faster and drives better and is alot cheaper. the price isnt about the play, its about the status.
I played a 1978 fender musicmaster that sounded orgasmic but played like a low end squier. I then played a 1962 model, which played so damn well it was unreal, but was quite easily the worst sounding guitar in the world. it was just a wash of boomy bottom end with no definition at all - and yes, volume and tone were at full. I'd imagine the crap sound came from the fact it was a student model, likewise, the crap playability of the '78 i'd imagine would be because it's a student model too. sadly, because of collectors who simply collect these old guitars and never play them, a lot of us dedicated guitarists are denied access to some of the best guitars in the world because this collectors market for vintage instruments causes hyper-inflation of prices.

i have great respect for anyone who gets these vintage guitars and actually plays them, rather than trying to preserve the condition so they can sell them for more in a few years time - good guitars were made to be played.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube

i have great respect for anyone who gets these vintage guitars and actually plays them, rather than trying to preserve the condition so they can sell them for more in a few years time - good guitars were made to be played.

Thanks
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I held and played a 1967 Ventures Mosrite 2 yesterday. 1 original owner. Its a quirky guitar thats more of a collection oddity more than it being a relic workhorse from the past.

That said, it had the MOST INSANE action I have ever felt on an electric guitar. You just laid your fingers in position with almost no pressure and you got sound. REALLY easy to play and light as a feather.

I like old guitars. I like to imagine where theyve been and what theyve seen through the years.
Quote by mcfreaki

anyway, if I had the money, I would buy a vintage, but i don't have any money full stop.

i spent it all on rock band for the PS2, flame away...

Slash's '59 is a replica, mate
Here's an example of crap Australian tariffs and inflation. The same model SRV replica that was mentioned earlier for $17 grand(USA), I saw it for sale in a local chain store for $40 grand(AUS)... Australia is EASILY the worst place to buy guitars direct from retail.
Quote by BrockTandem
It's cost. There's no such word as costed. You don't say "I ated dinner".

lol how did you know???

59 strats sound amazing, but then again the reissue is one hell of alot cheaper and probbably better because it is custom shop build and will be more consistant than the gibsons of old.

i'd take the reissue because of the price difference
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I've played a real '56 Strat once, one of the best instruments I've ever come across. There is no substitute for a real vintage guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by johnro6659

As far as a Relic guitars go they are just a way for guitar companies to screw you out of your hard earned dough. GC has a SRV Strat for $17.000.00 PLEASE! It's a new strat and probably will never be worth $17.000.00 again in your life time. No matter how well they do to it they can't recreate true vintage they can only make it look vintage. I think they are hoping to get that sucker that's born every minute to buy one! LOL

John

whoa whoa whoa john, don't **** with Lenny.

I had the chance to play one of the 80 or so Lenny's a couple months ago, and it will be one of the greatest guitars I've ever played in my life. You know what the holy grail is, man? Well Lenny was like the holy grail, it just feels different than any other guitar. There's something very special about it.

The idea that guitar makers are trying to turn a quick buck by doing limited runs of guitars that go for tens of thousands is just dumb.

It's a challenging and rewarding way to pay tribute to a legend while simultaneously showing off and pushing to the limits master craftsmanship. However much they charge is obviously going to be ridiculous, it's the fact that it is a master work.

And yeah, I agree, "relic-ing" guitars is kinda lame, I'd much rather hang on to my own guitar and see it age naturally. But the guitars that go for the insane prices that are recently built, those are built by the best, and that's what matters, not the fact that it looks kinda old.
Quote by necrosis1193
Vintage guitars are worth some prices($2,500 1974 Les Paul Deluxe a local store used to have). Others not(That strat). If the custom shop reisue is cheaper though, I'd just get the CS RI.

WHy is a Les Paul worth it, but not a STrat?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
To be fair, you're stupid if you pay 40 grand for a 61 strat. You can get them for 36 grand less than that!

I'd love a 61 strat myself, I know 4 grand is still a lot, but it's a lot easier to afford than some prices you guys are pluckin' out your asses, hell once I saw a 61 on sale for 2 grand, nice condition too!
One thing I'd like to point out that many vintage fans like to ignore: There was no magical guitar recipe that was used 50 years ago by Gibson and Fender and got lost somewhere along the way.
You can get a guitar that is just as good as those legendary instruments from the '50s and '60s nowadays, new - many mass produced guitars don't qualify though, but they aren't meant to, so there's no point arguing that a new Fender Standard Strat is not as good as it's equivalent from the '50s.
Of course age and lots of playing will affect a guitar's tone and it's feel. Whether they'll affect it in a good or bad way depends on the induvidual instrument though. Many vintage instruments are utter crap because they have not been taken care of or have been treated badly.
Oh, and suckers are born every day, that wasn't any different in the middle of the 20th century.

If you want an excellent guitar now, there are many companies that offer hand built, excellent custom guitars. In many cases, they are even a lot cheaper than the big companies (I'm talking about PRS specifically here - why anyone would buy their 3000$+ guitars is beyond me, I have seen superior instruments for less. Well, tone is subjective, but quality and price are not).

If you want the best instrument for your money, get yourself a custom build one from the luthier of your choice. It will be slightly inferior to the very best vintage instruments and superior to all the others (the vast majority). Now take a couple of years ('bout ten to twenty - be patient, dammit! ) and play it and take good care of it - you will find out that after all that time your guitar is just as good as the best vintage axes.

Just my two cents.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 15, 2008,
I'd be afraid to hold a $40,000.00 guitar personally. I didn't want to touch a $4,000.00 PRS yesterday. The store clerk almost dropped it and I needed to find clean undies. But yea, it didn't suit you is all. Guitars tend to pick players and not the other way around in my experience.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My favorite playing guitar now that I've experienced a lot more is the one I built, because I put it together and had it made according to my preferences. It's my go-to. Barring the tuning instabilities that come with ANY wood guitar and weather changes, as well as the bit of ground buzz it has, it's pretty much perfect.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by gregs1020
I'd be afraid to hold a $40,000.00 guitar personally. I didn't want to touch a $4,000.00 PRS yesterday. The store clerk almost dropped it and I needed to find clean undies. But yea, it didn't suit you is all. Guitars tend to pick players and not the other way around in my experience.

You guitar players just need to get used to expensive instruments. I work at a music store, and I have to watch people take $3,200 saxophones off the wall and fiddle with them daily.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
i played a 68 gold top lessie and its action was under a penny width with .8's on the bottom

sooo nice
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by TheQuailman
lots of writing

To be fair, it's mainly the novelty that hooks someone into buying a vintage guitar, it sure would be with me, well, less of a novelty more of a "loyalist fan" thing, 1961 sunburst fender strat, much like Rory Gallagher.
However other people would go in it for the money that can be achieved later on.
Though some go in cos it's a steal, I know a guy who got a 59 (I think0 Fender strat for £500, my jaw literally dropped when I heard and saw the pics.
It's the same with cars, I don't get why people buy them new nowadays, anyway.

Why spend $13,000 on a new 3-door Ford or Opel when you could get a second hand third gen El Camino for just 5 grand?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
40 grand. You could make your own recording studio for that! IF you want a 40 grand guitar get a frankenstrat.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
40 grand. You could make your own recording studio for that! IF you want a 40 grand guitar get a frankenstrat.

And still have $15K left over for an amp, or a car...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by johnro6659

John

I Kinda agree,but being that GC paid over $700,000 for the original.You would have get some kinda money for a limited "EXACT AS POSSIBLE" repro.
I was in a shop in Nashville a few weeks back and talk about Vintage guitars..They had a beautiful "63"Strat for $15,500.My pockets were'nt that deep unfortunately
I want a vintage 57 Strat some day.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
As far as vintage instruments go, people I know seem to have a HUGE misconception that all vintage instruments are awesome, yet they havent even played around with any vintage guitars.

You really have to find a guitar thats worth it. I've played some 30 year old Les Pauls and out and maybe 1/3 of them were worth playing, and only one of them wasn't a beaten up piece of crap. Sadly, I haven't gotten to try out any vintage strats, so I dont can't say anything about them.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50