So yeah, I've been listening to quite a bit of classical music lately and I wanted to start incorporating aspects of it into my own music, with this being the product of that. I only wrote this in like 3 days so it's probably not quite as smooth as it could be, but I still like it quite a bit. I tried experimenting with more key changes, polyphonic melodies, and chord progressions too, so I guess that's kind of the proggy aspect of it. I also put quite a bit of effort into the bass and drums also. Anyways, hope you guys enjoy and I'll do c4c when I get the chance.
Attachments:
Classical prog.zip
holy sh!t! nice! these are going on my iPod for sure, if you don't mind..
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
Man, this slays soooooo much; I was hesitant about hearing the new stuff; but man; WOW; am I impressed haha.

A lot of riffs and melodies remind me of The Absence? Have you been listening to them lately?
this is very long so im' going to crit only peaces of it I especially think there's something to say , all in all very solid song , can't really find anything really proggy in there but nice neoclassical stuff

shreddage: very nice arpeggios, very classical , like it very much but i don't really like the transistion into the darker riff , the drums sound kind of to hasty in my ears , they don't really give a transtion to the darker theme

darker riff: riff is good , reallly dislike the drums in 29 f,they nail it to death , maybe you could cut out the ride a bit or something like this

d-Major , solid work , very basic , abit scaly maybe , also the drums are bit overdone , really like the base , something special not just all that shredding in the base , thats great

classical interlude : this is awesome , best part of the song period , good transitions

break: a bit boring especially as the part are a bit too long in my eyes , maybe make this part a bit shorter

the rest is ok , the biggest problem I see in the song is that you don't really get to know certain themes as usually in classical music , but it seems as if you just thought of some ideas and put them into licks and then just put them into a row, which also is the second point of critisism , i think the transitions really could be better , but on the other hand it's very melodic and the key changes all fit together very well , base line is not boring , the drums maybe are a bit overdone , in some more i would just use less of them ... all in all it's a good song with a few problems but a nice feeling , i'd give it 8/10

c4c here plz!

thanks in advance
Greymane
Holy **** dude, wow. That was amazing. This is probably the coolest thing I have seen on here in a long time, and its for sure the first GP piece I am going to try and learn! Can you really play this perfectly? Impressive stuff.

One thing I loved, well actually two main things out of many. The dark riff and the classical tech, sweet ****ing scales and cadences that I am going to experiment with myself.

Probably my only complaint was the drums. Most of the time they sounded spot on and perfect, but sometimes they were just a little to crazy and overpowering. Besides that, 10/10 for sure. Glad I clicked on your thread whew!

Anyways c4c if you have time? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1020442
Overall, I can say I quite enjoyed that. If its prog in any way, however, it's prog like Symphony X.

All the pieces and parts were good, the only main problem was the drums. In both of the theme's they were way overbearing. Some fast parts are ok, but it would greatly benefit the song if you would slow down some of those fast parts.

Also, the transition into the dark riff didnt work very well.

Other than that, I'd have really liked it if you had returned to the dark riff again, or something dark like that, to give it more atmosphere shifts. And in the slower part that goes from F#m to Bm and whatnot, I though dynamics would help it a lot. Like, make it fade in and out, or get louder as it progresses. Dynamic shifts arent something we see enough of in metal today.

What classical have you been listening to lately? I hear some Paganini and a lot of Bach in here... [to me that's what it sounds like anyway]
^^thanks guys, I'll look into your song soon Rodex89. and yeah, I do agree about the drums gettin a little too crazy in parts haha, so I'll try and tone em down and yeah, the dynamics thing is a good point, I'll try and do something with that, but it's kinda hard in gp ya know? and yes, I've been listening to a lot of Bach, but not paganini really haha.
i think the key changes are great, classical tech was the best part, but in the interlude i wouldve enjoyed some keys, you know maybe a harpsichord, thats pretty classical right? it does get pretty prog near the end at the break. 10/10

C4C?:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026823

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026804
Last edited by MaidenPriest666 at Dec 21, 2008,
dude, that was amazing
i can see the classical elements in it yeh, the acoustic part was great too, nice changes
good contrast throughout the song

nicee one
zak. i have a question. what makes a song sound classical? when i write i try to put classical in, or i want to, but have no idea how... is there a certain scale? i can totally hear the "Classical" but i dont know what makes it.
My only crit is the drums are a bit too overpowering. Everything else is perfect.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by jamesdtsx
zak. i have a question. what makes a song sound classical? when i write i try to put classical in, or i want to, but have no idea how... is there a certain scale? i can totally hear the "Classical" but i dont know what makes it.

I know you didnt ask me, but its very simple really.

1. Listen to classical.
2. Play some classical.
3. Analyze.

I dont know if there's a specific scale, but Harmonic and Melodic Minor sound classical to me, when used right. Playing it and listening to it is the most important part, because then it'll start to show up unconsciusly in your music.
Ya hes exactly right... just listen! Theres no real scale to learn, its all about the feeling and sometimes your choice of cadence. If you want to analyze closely, look at the "classical tech" part of this GP song and watch the movement of the bass notes.

Check out some Paganini, almost all of his caprices basically give you ideas for solos - he was one of the original shredders!
Quote by Burning_Angel
1. Listen to classical.

Like anything in particular?
wow, this is a pretty f**king good peice.

the intro is abit mental and maybe you could bring one of the instruments in b4 the others. Shreddage is way cooler than the intro, i love that lead and the drums are wicked. the dark riff has a ausome groove. i love a good groove. and the tech bit at 24 is cool but i reckon you could tech it up even more but still have a groove. sorta generice chords in 33. 67 is mind blowing, and i mean it man. those chords rock my socks off. The classical interlude was petty cool but i think you could make it longer and prog it up abit. 99 reminded me of between the buried and me. in fact 9 - 139 reminded me of BTBAM. wasnt too keen on the break. but i like it when it gets too Bm. i like the whole ending progression ecept the harmonys.

Good stuff man

it would be really sweet if you would check mine out

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029149
WOW dude, just WOW!

reminded me of BTBAM, listen to them much?

really GREAT song man....really great
"We carry death out of the village!"
Thats amazing. The drums need work, probably becuase they're way too brutally fast for anyone below the GOD skill level. Except for that, everything was damn near perfect. I loved the shredding and the arpeggios. I reminded me a string quartet I saw back in March, playing all original compositions. the violin player was so damned fast, he could have been playing something along these lines. the classical guitar part was incredible. Your transitions were spot on and the more riff-based parts were just incredible. if it wasn't for the drums. you probably would get a 10.

9/10

Tone down the insanely brutal death metal drumming and you'll be fine!

Cheers.

Crit HERE Plz
Quote by Gyroscope
Like anything in particular?

Well, there's the essentials like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Paganini, and Vivaldi...

Then some romantic composers, like Wagner, Grieg, Franz Liszt, Brahms, Rachmaninov, and some more that I'm forgetting. Also, for a great combination of metal and classical, listen to Mirrorthrone.
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by Burning_Angel
Well, there's the essentials like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Paganini, and Vivaldi...

Then some romantic composers, like Wagner, Grieg, Franz Liszt, Brahms, Rachmaninov, and some more that I'm forgetting. Also, for a great combination of metal and classical, listen to Mirrorthrone.

Oh, ok. I was expecting less obvious answers, but oh well...

I quite like Rachmaninov's work, particularly this one.