So for this xmas my dad bought my a new SDGR 5 string. I wanted an extra string for playing metal/being able to throw more notes in (I play in a ska band at the moment), but I noticed this bass sounds very different when compared with my old fender squier bass (wayyyy cheaper)

No matter how much I fiddle with the settings, it always seems to sound too.."
electronic", meaning it sounds less bassy, and more 6 string guitary then my older bass. However, this isn't really noticeable when I finger pick on it, problem is, I can only finger pick so fast (hand deformitty) so that's why I usually use a pick.

I was just wondering if their was any particular amp/bass adjustments I could set everything to, to recapture that more bass-esque sound, so it doesn't sound as "distorted/guitary" while using a pick.
You might want to look into a different set of strings for starters. But make sure your treble is down a ways, mids are in the middle-ish, and bass it up pretty high. That should give you a warmer sound. Also, get a thicker pick, that might kill some of the sharp attack from whatever gauge you're using right now. With strings, you MIGHT want to consider flatwounds, but that might be too warm, especially for metal and ska.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Get Rotosound strings. THE most amazing strings I've every played. Completely fixed my tone problems. There's so much presence in those strings. It'd be pretty damn hard to EQ out my bass.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Get a new set of strings definitely, and keep in mind that Ibanez basses are generally a lot more sterile sounding than something like a Fender.

Also, what are your setting on the bass and amp?
Nope, no sig here.
I believe for my bass and amp I have bass up around halfway, high/low mid up halfway (one slightly over, one slight under) and treble down a bit, no scoop on either.
Hmm...try boosting the low mids a bit? A drive pedal or something may help too, to give it some character. What amp do you have? If it has a distortion circuit like Carvins and Acoustics you could crank the preamp up a bit.
Nope, no sig here.
Oh...I don't think they do that. Good choice anyway though, you don't see many of them.

My advice would be to play around with it until you find a spot where the tone pops out at you. It won't sound a bit like your Squier, which I'm betting is why it sounds funny to you, but every bass has something it's good at if you look for it.
Nope, no sig here.
try different strings, if that don't work, just mess around with the settings on your amp. if you want a thick kinda tone just turn bass up high but keep the gain down and keep the mid and treble around the middle. But if you want thin sound just turn the bass down and the treble up, should give you quite a raw sound
you sound like you liked dead strings.

try some flatwounds.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i play a Fender jazz and it has been my experience that ibanez's don't quite get the low end thump of a Fender. they sound good just not the same.
Quote by the humanity
you sound like you liked dead strings.

try some flatwounds.

Flatwounds for metal? what?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
Flatwounds for metal? what?

Steve Harris for metal? what?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Flats sound freakin great when playing ska but when you start to play fast you're hindered by the high tension and the lack of clarity in the high register, I actually just took off my flats and replaced them with an old set of rounds so I can get the dead sound and keep the playability.

But I'll have to go with what has already been said, first tweak your settings, I mean try every possible combination you can get out of it, it might be tedious but you could end up finding something surprising. If that doesn't help get new strings, everyone should try flats at least once, and by try I mean spend at least a couple weeks with em, really get to know them personally.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
I had this same problem with my VM jazz.
I play fingerstyle now, so this doesn't really matter at this point, but when I first got this bass I played with a pick. The sound was really trebly and thin...

What I did to get a warm sound:

1. Played this bass nigh constantly for two years, without changing strings, since about a month after I got it. I had put some Rotosound Funk Masters on it, they're ridiculously small (.30 gauge) and a dream to play.

2. Kept the tone control below halfway. I found I could still get variation with only that much movement, and that cut a ton of treble. You could also change the cap on the tone pot, I haven't been arsed to do that though, seeing as I have a five amp fixing orgy going on.... (one down, four to go)

3. Played through a tube amp with a 15'' speaker. Mmmm tasty.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to keep twiddling with the settings before I try new strings. I've got it at the point where the first 3 strings sound pretty full (although borederline muddy), the D and G strings are still alittle twangy, but I can deal.