Ok so I have a blue Epiphone Les Paul Quilt Top. I really hate how the back of the neck gets kind of sticky when playing it. I am considering stripping the finish and doing a gun oil finish on it. I thought I would leave just the top of the head stock and just strip the sides and back of it since it has epiphone written on it. I don’t know how that would affect it. Anyways what is every bodies opinions on doing this? How do you think it would look? Would it help with the stickiness? Would it be hard to do?

Thanks
you could always use a bit of baby powder.... to remove the tackiness....

or like chalk... like when shooting pool
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
What about rubbing it down with steel wool? I want something permanent. I also don’t ever plan on selling this guitar so that isn’t an issue. Can you really do a gun oil finish on a mahogany neck? Also I won’t do this until this summer when I have time. I am just researching right now.
yeah, i've used 2000 grit sandpaper on all mine, gives it a matte look, smooth feel, and doesn't destroy the finish at all (i think it would be cleaner looking than steel wool)
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Ok thanks, I think I will give this a try first. About how long did it take you? and did you polish it with anything after sanding?
i like tung oil finish on a neck. i have done this to all my guitars. start with a fine steel wool or sand paper and end it with a 000 finishing steel wool. then tung oil it. this will take a few days (for the oil to dry after each coat) but well worth it in the end.
it takes only a minute, i didn't sand it down to the wood or anything i just sanded it lightly until it felt right, and no, i didn't polish it i just wiped off the dust with a rag
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Thanks for the tips guys. jymellis do you have to pics of a les paul or something like it that you have done this to?
Thanks