Poll: Which one
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one
PRS
32 45%
EB JP
39 55%
Voters: 71.
got a fair chunk of change for one of these. which one would u take. do not take into account the super thin neck on the petrucci. ive played it, and im not sure about the neck, i might be able to get used to it, but id have to play it for longer to really tell. if not, i will go for the PRS (will be custom 24)
Swag

Schecter Blackjack C-1/C-7
Ovation Balladeer
Mesa F30
DanL Chorus
Bad Horsie Wah
EB Volume Pedal
the eb is what i chose, its definately my next choice of guitar
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
The JPs I've tried were incredible; they sounded great and were very well built.

Of course this is all personal opinion, but I find PRS guitars, well, slightly disappointing. They're hyped up as these amazing instruments and while they look very nice, when I tried some out they just didn't play as well as I had hoped...

Again, this is just my opinion and there are plenty of people who swear by PRS, but personally I'd go for the EBMM.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
prs guitars sound orgasmic. never played a eb petrucci but i doubt it could beat a custm 24
Quote by no_thing101
prs guitars sound orgasmic. never played a eb petrucci but i doubt it could beat a custm 24

The sad thing is, that it could very well beat it in overall tone and playability. I have played both one right after the other at my local store, and I love the Ernie Ball. PRS is of course amazing, but seriously, not really all that worth the big, BIG bucks.

Play them both yourself, if you don't for a 2,500 dollar purchase, you should be hung by your thumbs.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I was kind of in the same boat as you the other day. I went down to guitar center as soon as they opened so I could try the stuff at good volume without abunch of people around ect. After about an hour or so of playing, I narrowed it down to the Petrucci and a PRS.

The PRS sounded AMAZING and and was pretty versatile, it had more of the tone I liked; kind of a Gibsony feel to it but better. But the Petrucci just had sooo many more options. It has the Piezo pickup which is under the bridge and it really livened the sound up, it felt like it picked up the notes better and makes them a little more clear. You can switch between pickup types on the with top toggle switch and its also got the regular pickup selector on the bottom(Which I liked alot more due to the position but thats just me) And a bunch of other stuff I cant remember

To me if your really like that PRS tone then get one of those because I dont think youre gunna find it anywhere else, but imo the Petrucci is the only guitar I've played/seen so far that I can justify spending 2500+ dollars on.

I can try to answer some questions if you have them too.
I picked the PRS even I am not a huge PRS fan but I just don't care for Music Man guitars at all. I also think Sig guitars are all overpriced and I am not a big Petrucci fan either so that adds to my choice of PRS.

John
PRS absolutely. The EBMM Petrucci is an amazing guitar indeed, but it sure can't come close to the PRS. Both are expensive but pretty much worth the price tag IMO.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by SuperDuperSlash
got a fair chunk of change for one of these. which one would u take. do not take into account the super thin neck on the petrucci. ive played it, and im not sure about the neck, i might be able to get used to it, but id have to play it for longer to really tell. if not, i will go for the PRS (will be custom 24)

If you're unsure about the neck, and you're paying an epic premium... don't do it! Anything at this price should be absolutely perfect. I highly recommend you go to a guitar store that stocks PRS guitars or more and try as much guitars out as possible.

You should be looking for the perfect guitar or something that sits with you well immediately.
You won't regret the JPMM, I've played some PRS's in the same price range (not a custom 24 though, I'd love to be able to help with a comparison.) the JPMM wins. I cranked it through marshalls and mesas. It's the nicest guitar I could ever want/need. With the piezo and D-sonic blade pickup, it can do everything and anything. PLUS The middle position on the pup selecter is a coil split not both pups active. It sounds amazing, like a entrancing strat sound.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The JPs I've tried were incredible; they sounded great and were very well built.

Of course this is all personal opinion, but I find PRS guitars, well, slightly disappointing. They're hyped up as these amazing instruments and while they look very nice, when I tried some out they just didn't play as well as I had hoped...

Again, this is just my opinion and there are plenty of people who swear by PRS, but personally I'd go for the EBMM.

I love the sound of some PRS's (I have some live Alter Bridge footage of Myles and Mark tearin' it up on their PRSs) but when I tried one in a store (SE double cut) it had a weird neck profile (felt very fat, wasnt expecting fat). The american models probably have a different feel to them tho.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
I would go with a new amp, you have a valveking and a spider.

Out of the two guitars it depends what stuff you play or what sound you're going for. If you're a big dream theater fan, then it's a no brainer to go with the Petrucci sig. If you're looking for a darker guitar which will do much better for blues, jazz, and rock the PRS would be my choice.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would go with a new amp, you have a valveking and a spider.

You can't judge Valvekings on trying out in shops; most owners will change out the speakers and that's when you see that they're actually superb amps for the price (including the price of the speakers). His amp's probably fine.

Those two guitars you asked about are both excellent quality and versatile straight out of the box so it's just a question of whether you'll be playing more hard rock, metal or otherwise quite heavy and technical stuff or if you want a think, smooth, more restrained and low output tone possibly at the cost of some speed and tuning stability. Go with your gut feeling, you really can't go wrong.

ED: I personally voted for the JP, but that was purely personal preference.
Quote by Rock Pig
You can't judge Valvekings on trying out in shops; most owners will change out the speakers and that's when you see that they're actually superb amps for the price (including the price of the speakers). His amp's probably fine.

Those two guitars you asked about are both excellent quality and versatile straight out of the box so it's just a question of whether you'll be playing more hard rock, metal or otherwise quite heavy and technical stuff or if you want a think, smooth, more restrained and low output tone possibly at the cost of some speed and tuning stability. Go with your gut feeling, you really can't go wrong.

ED: I personally voted for the JP, but that was purely personal preference.

Where talking that he has $1800+ not to mention the money if he sold the valveking and spider so $2000-$2200. A mesa F-100 would be about $800, that would give you at least $1200 to buy a guitar. You can get a used petrucci sig for that much. Wait a few more weeks for Christmas, maybe you'd have a bit more money to spend.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
the spider is dead weight i havent touched it in forever. i am gonna order a speaker online for my valveking as soon as this economic **** storm settles down, i got a volume pedal online and ended up paying an extra 80 bucks with customs and exchange.

the thing with the prs is that id be scared ****less of even knocking it against something. the music man seems like it wouldnt emotional scar me that much if i were to scratch it. i do play metal and alot of stuff in the DT vein of music, i know opeth plays PRS, but it seems like they use them for the versatility, as there metal tone is not the greatest, but its still ****ing good.

about the piezo on the EB. do i need both output jacks plugged in to use it. is it possible to just have the output jack in the mono (standard) input and still be able to switch to the piezo, if thats the case, then im instantly sold on the EB

also, basswood on the EB, why would they use such a cheap wood in a nice guitar. i know it was probly petruccis choice, but i dont wanna pay 2k+ for something thats made with the same wood as some cheap guitar
Swag

Schecter Blackjack C-1/C-7
Ovation Balladeer
Mesa F30
DanL Chorus
Bad Horsie Wah
EB Volume Pedal
Last edited by SuperDuperSlash at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by SuperDuperSlash
the spider is dead weight i havent touched it in forever. i am gonna order a speaker online for my valveking as soon as this economic **** storm settles down, i got a volume pedal online and ended up paying an extra 80 bucks with customs and exchange.

the thing with the prs is that id be scared ****less of even knocking it against something. the music man seems like it wouldnt emotional scar me that much if i were to scratch it. i do play metal and alot of stuff in the DT vein of music, i know opeth plays PRS, but it seems like they use them for the versatility, as there metal tone is not the greatest, but its still ****ing good.

about the piezo on the EB. do i need both output jacks plugged in to use it. is it possible to just have the output jack in the mono (standard) input and still be able to switch to the piezo, if thats the case, then im instantly sold on the EB

also, basswood on the EB, why would they use such a cheap wood in a nice guitar. i know it was probly petruccis choice, but i dont wanna pay 2k+ for something thats made with the same wood as some cheap guitar

Its cheap due to it being a common wood to harvest + there are different grades of wood. Basswood is known for having one of the best tonal properties.
Quote by SuperDuperSlash

i think opeth's metal tone is as good as any. prs guitars are versitile without any loss of tone (you would hope so with the price). i really think they are hard to fault in terms of tone unless you want to sound authentically like a particular guitar.

btw if the EB is what your aiming for it get it. i havent played it before but i am just reccomending you the best guitars i HAVE played.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by SuperDuperSlash

When I played it I just plugged into one and Im pretty sure I was switching between the two, but I would check on that to be sure.
The PRS sounds better.

End of.

I have heard both, in various different amps everyday for the last few months.

I'm not saying the EB is not a great guitar, it's just the PRS sounds a hole lot bigger. Sounds more expensive too (audibly, not the name of the headstock..)